Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Advice needed from the STW menswear gurus – what tie ??
  • DrJ

For the first time for a long time, I have to wear a tie for work – but what style/colour/flavour or whatever is “in” – fat? thin? Paisley swirls? reindeer?

What’s a boy to do?

wors

thin one

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My tip would be subtle colour shirts, with colourful, yet understated ties which compliment the shirt, without looking too gauche.

For some guidance, look to TM Lewin, Charles Tyrwhitt and Roderick Charles. Their sites will all have good images as inspiration.

Tie tips;
    Avoid faux-club ties. If you have a club, wear the tie, if not don’t pretend.
    Silk is essential, never polyester. Woven silk is the way ahead.
    Knot should be smallish, never a kevballer sized huge knot
    Avoid trying to be “funny” with a tie. No one wants to look like Colin Hunt.

Some key shirt tips as well;
    Double cuff only
    No pockets
    No button downs with a tie. Maybe OK on a Friday, but otherwise no
    No short sleeves, don’t want to look like a bus driver, do you?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Houns

Pretty much what CFH said

swisstony
    Free Member

any of these are well in at the moment

Houns

URGH!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Houns – you think sports jacket with jeans is an OK look – we don’t take no advice from someone who dresses like Calrkson.

Tie – thin and plain.

Houns

🙄

aP
    Free Member

Square bottom, wool or silk, grey stripe or….

swisstony
    Free Member

get one of these, no one will know

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

One of these will see you right 😆

zaskar
    Free Member

Ask a well dressed Lady-they know.

Get a GF.

DrJ

swisstony is most like my style 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m sure I told this one before…my mate made the fatal mistake of wearing a short sleeved shirt with a tie into work one day only to be asked by the rest of the lads there: “Where’d you park your bus mate?”

Never did it again.

As for the tie question – depends on what sort of a place it is really. Light coloured shirts worn with ties with a diagonal stripe are always good, plain, double cuffed (but not stupid cufflinks…keep the fancy ones for weddings and just get the little elasticated ball type ones). Avoid clashing patterns unless you’re really brave.

Oh and learn to tie a half-windsor. Keep practising till you can do it with your eyes closed. It’s almost the perfect knot – not too big, not too small. And the tip of the tie should rest somewhere between the top and bottom of your belt. There should be no shirt showing!

If I see you wearing braces (other than for orthodonctal reasons), I’ll come to your place of work and kill you!
    (only joking with that one)

terrahawk
    Free Member

s’all boll0cks though isn’t it.

swisstony
    Free Member

thanks i am a leader of tie zeitgeist

deadlydarcy, don’t wear those ball cuff links, they come free with shirts and to me look like you haven’t got any decent cuff links or have bought a double cuff shirt by mistake.

juan
    Free Member

LOL at TJ… Brilliant.

Bez

Stand up for yourself, you weakling. Protest. Claim sex discrimination or something.

Ties are the work of the devil. And bow ties are the work of the devil’s paedo-minions.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

thanks i am a leader of tie zeitgeist

What??? They’re your ties? I thought you were taking the piss with that picture 😯 😛

Yeah, fair enough about the ball things…but simplicity was the thing I was trying to get across…where do they come free then? M&S?

mogrim

Double cuff only
    No pockets
    No button downs with a tie. Maybe OK on a Friday, but otherwise no

You were doing all right up until this bit – normal button cuffs are fine and pockets are OK as long as you don’t actually use them. I’m right with CFH on the button downs and short sleeves, though.

My personal opinion:
    * Don’t get too thin a tie, they look stupid with dress shirts.
    * The paler you are the louder the colours you can get away with.
    * Match the tie colour to the shirt, ideally with a detail colour to the suit.
    * Avoid mixing stripy shirts + checked ties + stripy suits. Really avoid this one 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

where do they come free?

usualy either attached to a shirt or most shops have a big bowl of them in case you want to try the shirt on.

Nothing wrong with fancy cufflinks, just make sure the tie/watch/cuflinks compliment each other.

Ohhh, and be brave, why not, who says paisley doesnt go with a stripey shirt? At the very least your shirt/tie combination sparks a debate.

chakaping
    Free Member

Go to a nice department store and pick one you like.

The nice men there will be able to advise you if you really don’t know what’s suitable for office wear.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Don’t go thin, go slim. The really thin ones look like you were dressed by the Hollyoaks stylist.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Of course width of tie relies to some extent on the type of jacket. Being a bit of an unreformed rude boy I prefer a single button no vent jacket, always a white shirt – coloured shirts are for advertising men only and to go with a jacket of that style then the tie must me under an inch wide and the knot much smaller.

Dont forget shoes as well – brown is for the country and only cads wear brogues

mogrim

always a white shirt

Oooh, go for that just-out-of-school look!

Coloured shirts are fine, how loud you fancy going depends on how confident you feel. Think of a sliding scale from insecure IT types (white) to unbearable marketing bods (primary colours) and you won’t go far wrong. For interviews, pale colours are ideal.

Brown shoes are fine with very pale suits, but again you need a certain amount of confidence to pull it off. Black are a safer bet.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

white face, black shirt
    white socks, black shoes
    black hair, white strat
    bled white, died black

midlifecrashes

Sweet…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Advice needed from the STW menswear gurus – what tie ??’ is closed to new replies.