Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Advice Needed – Fox 36 with Hope Floating Rotor
  • cRaNkEnStEin
    Free Member

LBS is building me a new bike. They have just informed me that it will not be possible to fit a Hope floating rotor (203mm) to the Fox 36 Float RC2 (2009 model) as the rotor is fouling on the fork lowers. LBS tells me that a standard Hope rotor (slimmer) will need to be fitted. Anyone else had any disc rotor issues with Fox 36 forks? I would have thought that beefier, floating rotors are just the sort of thing you would want fitted to a Fox 36 fork. Does the problem lie with the width of the hub?

Full set up is Fox 36 fork, Hope Mono M4 brake with 203mm rotor mounted on Chris King Iso Disc 20mm Bolt Thru.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Seems not uncommon with C K hubs. My P2/36 combo is pretty tight. Either shave (file) the post mount if you want the bling rotor, or use a standard rotor.

the-nasher
    Free Member

I’ve got the ventilated floating rotor on my 2008 Floats, what changes have they made to the 2009 forks?

cRaNkEnStEin
    Free Member

Nasher: Not seen the bike yet but have been informed by LBS that the lowers have thicker bulges for improved seals.

Doof-Doof: Will have a play when I collect the bike next week. Keen to use the floating rotor as reckon the 203mm / M4 combo will get pretty hot.

Thanks for the replies. Anyone else got Fox 36 / Rotor stories?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Is it possible to face the disc bolts on the hub to get it to fit?

cRaNkEnStEin
    Free Member

I_Ache: Good suggestion. I’ll see if low profile rotor bolts will do the trick.

tinsy
    Free Member

I dont think it will be the bolts that are the problem, its usually the noggins that hold the alloy rotor centre to the stainless braking surface that catch… But your right it cant be an unuasual combination, you will have to investigate when it shows up…

Is it a floating rotor or a ventilated rotor?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Sorry I didnt mean the bolts I meant the actual hub Get it faced so the rotor sits a few microns closer to the centre of the forks, making the floating connector bits further from the fork leg and less likely to be hit.

That or if you really want it doing get the actual rotor skimmed slightly where it would be in contact with the hub it might cost a bit but if you really want it to fit.

cRaNkEnStEin
    Free Member

Not sure if I’d want to put a CK hub in a milling machine!

psychle
    Free Member

A 180mm floating rotor fouls on my on-one carbon fork 🙁 so I had to go with a non-bling ‘normal’ one, very disappointed with the lack of pimpness 🙁

shiny
    Free Member

i have had the same issue twice when i have tried fitting two sets of floating rotors with king hubs and fox forks and both times i had to have the disc mounts on the foxs faced a fraction to avoid the rub, apparently it is quite common with the hope, king fox combo.
    cheers
    shiny

I_Ache
    Free Member

Try putting the rotor in a milling machine then. Only £25 if it all goes wrong.

Just dont do it too much.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Advice Needed – Fox 36 with Hope Floating Rotor’ is closed to new replies.