Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Advice Needed For Neighbour Problem
  • MrGrim

My next door neighbours changed a couple of years ago and the new neighbour took down a 3 meter section of the dividing garden fence to put in a new shed base with promises that he would put in a new piece. Two years later and the whole fence is looking a bit shabby and needs replaced and the missing section is still missing.

I went round tonight to pick up a missed parcel and asked if they were happy for me to get quotes for a new fence and split the cost 50/50. I was advised by the wife that the husband has had his days reduced at work from five to four and that with her being at home with a new baby they can’t afford to look at getting any of the fence replaced.

Now i’m a bit miffed that the wife didn’t discuss it considering the two years we’ve been without a section of the fence.

Am I being an arse with no compassion? Should I go ahead and just pay for the fence to be replaced myself?

If it makes a difference there not day to day friendly people to me or my wife. A balanced and stable opinion would be appreciated. I guess I’m more annoyed because I’ve been wanting a new Dog for ages but won’t get one until there is a sturdy tall fence at all sides, especially with them having a young child.

Suggestions for weeing in shoes welcome

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Just build the fence. Put it your side of the boundary and its your fence. End of problem

crikey
    Free Member

Buy the fence, get on with your life…

genghispod
    Free Member

Asking them for financial help in a recession, when they have a new baby, was surely not the best timing?

crikey
    Free Member

Buy the fence, then have a Grand Opening ceremony and buy the fella some beer; spread it about and you’ll get it back; no-one is here forever, why stress about a bit of wood?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Get the dog, I’m sure their priorites will change pretty sharpish!

MrGrim

@TJ & Crikey – Probably will go down this route just to make life easier

@genghispod – Probably not the best timing, but I had no idea about the guys work, not everyone is being affected by the recession and they have had two years to help sort the fence. The baby is 9 months old.

nukeproof
    Free Member

I take it that it is their boundary?

As others, I’d put the fence in and pay for it. Our neighbour had a huge llandi which dwarfed our garden so I asked her what she thought of it, she hated it but couldn’t offered to do anything so I offered to get it cut down: she was well chuffed and so were we and we are now more chatty with our neighbours which is a bonus.

nickjb
    Free Member

If you want a new fence buy a new fence. If you don’t then don’t buy one. Worth asking the neighbours (as you have done) but if they aren’t keen then that’s up to them.

MrGrim

@Whathaveisaidnow – ace idea 😉 But they are quite stubborn and probably wouldn’t care on principal

Gooner
    Free Member

unfortunately it’s bad timing – recession and all that
    if its bothering you more than it is your neighbour i would suggest that you pay for it and get it done
    probably not fair everyone will be happy and get on with their lives

MrGrim

Thanks folks. I’ve been thinking about it and you’re all right. I guess it’s not best timing and must not be bothering them too much.

I’m going to get some quotes, but will still consult them to advise that I am willing to pay for the fence and will just go ahead unless they have any valid objections. I guess it’s just weird as I’ve always had a good relationship with neighbours but these ones don’t really seem too friendly.

enricopallazzo
    Free Member

i would build it on your property probs solved!

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

To be honest, I’d avoid fall out simply by pointing out what the deeds say, that he is responsible for a fence to one side of his boundary, and you are responsible for the other side.

(This means for example on a semi, that the party wall is prbably the responsiblity of the left hand house. The right hand house probably has responsibility for the right hand wall.

Not sure why the cheeky sod thinks he can just damage property that affects both of you, do nothing, whilst he get on with his “lifestyle choices” and then expect you to pay for them.

What ever is on the deeds, go with that. It’s not unreasonable for him to fix the bit of his fence he’s responsible for. I mean, he’s not expecting you to do his kitchen as well is he? Cheeky sod.

project
    Free Member

Sadly due to the global economic recession,lots of people are loosing their jobs as well as going on short time, you really should sit back and think how youd feel if you where in the same position,a child on the way, etc, im sure a wooden fence would not be your biggest thought, especially as the neighbour wanted you to spend your money.
    Id personally pay for the fence,invite the neighbours round for a barbeque,to get to know them better,offer a hand of freindship, instead of a sword of demand.
    Perhaps you could invite your neighbour out for a bike ride, or a drink.
    Be kind , considerate to all around you, help people in need, dont get angry and bitter, learn to love everyone in a worse situation than yourself.

Then watch and wait as they all abuse your trust,take what they can, laugh at you, and finally vote bloody labour, youve been warned.

flatfish
    Free Member

why don’t you buy the fence panel (about 20-30 quid) and he installs it on his “day off”.

that way your not the bad guy, he isn’t out of pocket then and has no arguments.

johnhoo
    Free Member

I’m going to get some quotes, but will still consult them to advise that I am willing to pay for the fence and will just go ahead unless they have any valid objections.

that’s what I’d do. nothing more, nothing less.

But make it a 7ft high one so you never have to see them again 😉

MrGrim

@Jujuuk68 – Mine is an end terraced house (row of three), with the bordering fence being to the left of my garden, so they would be the left hand side house. The surrounding fence to my right is in good condition.

@project – lol, you’re probably right

nigew
    Free Member

Each house owner is resposible for the boundry to the right of each house were i live, rebuild a wall last summer on the side im responsible for, which cost a fortune in materials alone.
    On the other side were 12 humongous Leylandii which needed chopping down and replacing, the neighbour on that side is an old women with not much cash so ive bitten the bullet and started removing them myself, its already cost a fair bit in tools/ hire of chainsaw etc and i dont have much spare cash either but hey it needs doing!
    She came out tonight whilst i was digging the roots out and gave me 20 quid to get a drink for my goodwill/ hardwork, so yes, what goes around comes around, i think.
    i did break off early once i had beer tokens though 8)

ski
    Free Member

Would not cost much to do yourself, just make sure you don’t get into a dispute about your boundary line, if you do decide to fit a 2nd row of fencing.

Our brother fitted a inner fence to his property after his neighbour dragged his feet with his tatty boundary fence.

The site of some trees near the boundary meant my brother had to come in by nearly a foot with the fence and you guessed it as soon as his fence was fitted, the neighbour behind took his fence down cut down my brothers trees and claimed the new strip of land as his!

Brother_Will
    Free Member

I would say go round and say your going to replace the fence and give your reasons about the dog etc and say you understand things are tight and understand they cant afford 50% but if they could contribute a little it would be appreciated.

richie_boy2
    Free Member

One of my buddies got into a similar dispute recently, in his case the wife next door started to get a bit arsy. Not famed for his diplomacy, my mate opened up his side of the discussion by addressing her husband only and stated “before we go any further you better get a muzzle for the dog!”…oh dear

hug
    Free Member

If the price is not a problem,just fit the replacement on your side-be cool about it and hopefully they’ll appreciate a decent neighbour.

And large resealable bags for your shoes.

Sillyoldhector
    Free Member

I think the problem here is that your neighbour has taken “offence”

(Ill get my coat)

carlphillips
    Free Member

but he took it down…screw him if he can’t afford it and balls to karma points, he took it down so tell him to fix it again.
    lazy ass imo and the fence wont cost that much so he can’t afford £30 to fix it, and as for the baby excuse they’re not that expensive FFS.

he’s taking the pi$$ i reckon

uponthedowns
    Free Member

2 years later and there’s no new fence- and this is the first time you’ve spoken to them about it? Seems like a new fence isn’t one of your priorities ether. How much is a new fence worth t you? If its worth paying for the whole issue then get on and do it- if not just wait another two years and

uponthedowns
    Free Member

2 years later and there’s no new fence- and this is the first time you’ve spoken to them about it? Seems like a new fence isn’t one of your priorities ether. How much is a new fence worth to you? If its worth paying for the whole issue then get on and do it- if not just wait another two years and ask them again- maybe you’ll have new neighbours by then if the guys job is dodgy.

JonHood
    Free Member

Practice wheelies in the buff by the gap in full view of there lounge or kitchen, keep falling off and showing them your arse – a cheek mounted fence panel tattoo may help get the point across?

Or buy an evil bear size dog with “i eat kids” eyes and let it roam free….

Or dismantle his shed and use the walls to fill the gap?

Or tape his missus between the fence posts in a duck tape reconstruction of a scene in Aliens

Or maybe its time for me to go to bed….

MrGrim

@ Jon Hood – PMSL 😀

gusamc
    Free Member

take account of lease/freehold terms in what you do – as it may have selling etc implications. ie I suspect if it’s ‘their’ fence and you rebuild it you might become liable, if you build on your land then you may be liable for both fences.

I did two fences,(both are shared) built them with help of neighbours, I did most labour but they paid for 1/2 the materials – it’s a much cheaper option than getting someone to do it. The only arse bit is getting the old posts out after that it’s just about enjoyable (ps arris/plank is easier than panels – as you can be flexible about post gaps)

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

you can get a panel fence panel for less than £20.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Advice Needed For Neighbour Problem’ is closed to new replies.