Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Advice needed – first "proper" bike. (Warning – non niche full susser content)
  • TheFopster
    Free Member

So. Bought a cheap hardtail last year (Carrera Fury from Halfords). Shoddy build but a great bike – have been hugely impressed. Been riding it a lot more than I expected and have managed to get a bit fitter (which was the point) but also discovered riding a bike around the countryside is a bit of fun, as it happens. Now doing odd weekend trip to trail centres with friends who are into the whole bike thing in a big way, and have decided I've reached the point where I can justify buying a "proper" bike – but it's a long term "buy it and keep it" thing. Can't afford to chop and change.

I'm a late starter to this, so middle aged and not too fit. Will be mainly XC round where I live with weekends a bit burlier at trail centres from time to time, but a "wheels on the ground" type rider.
    Looking for not too heavy full susser to cope with my fading legs at end of trail centre day (standing up on hardtail over trickiest terrain gets hard work after a few hours so more forgiving ride is what I am looking for).
    Have shortlisted two – Lapierre Zesty 214 or Giant Anthem X4. I think I can find either at about the same price – i.e. about £1,400 – but that's the limit, budget-wise.

So to the great and good in STW land – what's your thoughts? And before anyone says it, I know I need to get a test ride. That's next if this seems like a good shortlist.

TheFopster
    Free Member

Anyone?

doug_basqueMTB.com

I've ridden both and they're both great bikes. Sound just about perfect for what you are looking for. Sort out a test ride if you can and see if you prefer one or the other…

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Sounds like you're pretty sorted out – test ride and pick which one you like best.

Can you stretch to a specialized stumpjumper? (maybe a bit out of your budget), if not maybe one of these is worth a look too?
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/fsr-xc-expert-2010-mountain-bike-ec020337

Bushwacked
    Free Member

The Lapierres are getting a lot of press at the moment – any chance of a test ride of either?

The Scott Genius seems to be getting better and better as the years go by too. Worth considering but could be out of your price range.

Anyway

I'm a late starter to this

– are you like 60?

soobalias
    Free Member

what do your lbs stock

IMO it will be more important to buy from a shop that is local to you and that operates in a manner that you are happy with

TheFopster
    Free Member

SOOBalias – can get either locally. Tried both for size on Saturday but haven't taken out for a test yet.

becky_kirk43 – haven't considered a Spesh, but I'll have a look. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bushwacked – re. my late starting, I am indeed like 60. But actually 45…

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Fair play, Fopster! Enjoy! In weather like this (in Gloucestershire) there is nothing better than riding a bike

chakaping
    Free Member

Both will be great. I used to ride an Anthem and now ride a Zesty and they are the two best bikes I've owned.

I'd go for the Zesty for its versatility. I'd be happy to race (very uncompetitively) on mine, and have also ridden some DH bits on it. It's perfect for trail centres.

Another thing, the Zesty rides lighter than it is – presumably because the suspension is so taut and responsive.

rOcKeTdOg

can i throw a Trek Fuel into the mix, i've had loads of Fs bikes and it's the only one i've kept, lovely riding bike and you don't notice the suspension until you ride the same trail on a HT, for 120mm rear it's outstanding

br
    Free Member

Better something 'slacker' than an Anthem, Trance?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Unless your lbs is **** why not give them a try?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

What sort of riding would you like / do you see yourself doing in a year or two?

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Given the two you have suggested I think I would go with the Lapierre, get good reviews and a good looking bike!

A friend had the 160mm version and loved it, I recon the 140mm would be an awesome bike.

TheFopster
    Free Member

Chapaking – good to hear from someone who has ridden both. Looks like as a shortlist they are pretty good. Think I'll try and get a test on both a.s.a.p. and then brush the cobwebs off the wallet. Very excited at the prospect.

chakaping
    Free Member

Where do you live in Herts Fopster?

I know Addiktion in St Albans have a testy Zesty, and they're nice.

TheFopster
    Free Member

I briefly sat on said Zesty in St Albans last weekend to check for size. 'Tis indeeed very nice. 'Tis also a 314, and I have approval from the house finance commitee ( :?) for a 214. It is however discounted. Negotiations with other half are underway…

brassneck

I'd go for the Anthem, but I've never ridden the Zesty, and every bike I've ridden with over 100mm travel has left me feeling somewhat over biked… this will vary according to where you live and ride though. Good point about what do you want to do with it over the next few years, not all of us here buy new bikes every year.

If it's Herts I'd err toward the Anthem and buy some big tyres for the odd weekend at a trail center.

Olly
    Free Member

good pair to compare.

The Lucky pierre is a little Slacker, and feel like more like mini DH bikes. encourages you down hill, bit floppy on the climbs.

Giants are nearly always VERY neutral. not weighted to climbing, descending or overly twitchy, or overly sluggish.
    just "middle".

if your on limited funds, worth bearing in mind (no pun intended) that the giant has 10 bearings, so in 2 or 3 years, its 100 quid to replace all the bearings. (Boo) and it will go through a shock bush (although there is only one of them) in 6 months to a year

lappierre not far behind.

a single pivot has two bearings and two bushes….

TheFopster
    Free Member

Olly
    Had not considered maintenance t.b.h. However, the obvious single pivot is the ubiquitous Orange (?) and they are definitely more burly – and expensive – than I was considering.
    Anyway – thanks to the STW massive for friendly and helpful advice. By way of thanks if I go ahead and make the purchase I'll post a photo so you can all be rude about my lawn. Can'y say fairer than that.

ampthill

I think you need to ride some bikes. Might be worth going to say Bike radar next weekend just to get time on the options

I went last year. The Anthem I road was badly set up but that a side it was a bit steep and twitchy for me. I'm not here saying don't buy an anthem loads of people love them. The question is, is it right for you?

I now own a some what slacker Trek fuel ex. I bought it used but in general I think I'm happier with a bike with a slacker head angle

For £1400 I go for 2nd hand – say 6 months to a year old and get a whole lot more bike for your cash with better specced components. I base this on you saying that it'll be a keeper – buy a new £1400 fs now and I guarantee you'll want to upgrade within a year.

As for what to go for, the 2nd hand market opens up a whole array of bikes too large to pick one without more time to think about it. Tread carefully though with regards to trashed/nicked bikes and if possible get someone with experience to come along to any viewings.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Advice needed – first "proper" bike. (Warning – non niche full susser content)’ is closed to new replies.