Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Advice needed, considering moving storage heater
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

I’ve got a storage heater in my kitchen that is not used and I have a bedroom with no heater. All the storage heaters are on a separate circuit with a different fuse box I assume? I have a large modern circuit breaker box and another separate fuse box with 3 large pull-out fuses in, the wire from the switching unit feeds into it.
    The kitchen and bedroom share an internal wall (house is of early 1950s concrete construction) so is it as simple as splicing into the wiring circuit opposite where the heater is to be moved, feeding a new cable through the wall and then remounting the heater the other side?
    Any pitfalls with this? It’s in Scotland so are there any regulations to break?

I have storage heaters in the hallway and another bedroom and they work really well and are quite cheap to run.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Pretty much.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Mind your back. And if its an old one and you decide to dismantle to make lighter be careful as some contained asbestos.

takisawa2

Yes, for the wiring.
    But get some help to move the heater, because by god are they heavy. And I mean, seriously heavy.

cbike
    Free Member

Dismantle the heater and take out the storage blocks. Much easier to move in bits. 😀

robdob
    Free Member

Storage heaters are made out of the same material as the centre of the sun. To this day I have no idea how they were installed in my house as to remove them involved so much physical effort I think I have taken 10years off my life. Could only take one at a time to the tip as car suspension wouldn’t take it. And I did dismantle them!

I thought a bout replacing one of mine once as it was tatty but after taking it out I decided to fit an entire proper heating system!

rwamartin
    Free Member

Difficult to tell without seeing it.

There are regulations in Scotland governing what you’re allowed to do electrically. I’m Wales based and our regulations are different to yours but I guess they’ll require some level of notification or professional input.

Your night storage heaters will almost certainly be on an off-peak rate which is not fed from the modern box. If you’ve got three big fuses I would guess there are three night storage heaters in the house? Or, two plus the immersion heater.

You’ll need to connect into one of the off-peak circuits (which should be dead off-peak, the peak depending on the tariff you’re on). It is normal for one fuse per heater. Assuming they’re 3kW thats 13 amps per heater and the fuses/cabling are probably only rated at 15amps (guessing rewireable fuses)so you’ll need to reroute the existing cabling for the heater you’re moving to it’s new location as it would blow the fuse if more than one heater was put on each circuit.

Because of the possible complexity of the installation you’ve got I’d respectfully suggest that this one might require some professional input on site just to make sure.

Rich.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Thanks rwamartin, I hoped I’d get a sensible answer eventually!

I’m just moving the heater the other side of the same internal wall so no extra load on the electrics. I have 4 storage heaters actually so I’m not sure why there’s only 3 fuses. The immersion seems to be on the main circuit. I think the hardest part will be drilling through the concrete block wall. I removed some storage heaters from an old house once so I’m aware of the weight!

The off-peak timer is a remote radio controlled one. I think there’s some special deal in Scotland due to climate. It comes on and off randomly through the day.

I’ll check on the law regarding electrical work as Scotland can be a bit different.

thanks.

wrightyson
    Free Member

True, there’s nothing sensible about avoiding mesothelioma!

martinhutch

I dismantled a couple of old ones when I moved in somewhere, so I could get at the bricks and move them myself. I now wish I hadn’t, as I’m sure in hindsight that they contained asbestos.

So I would echo Wrightyson’s frivolous comment, and if I did it again, get a mate to help me shift them intact.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Advice needed, considering moving storage heater’ is closed to new replies.