Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • advice needed: clicking noise driving me mad.
  • bimster29
    Free Member

So my HT has been making a clicking noise for a while now. It starts after a few kms into a ride and seems to get more frequent with time during the ride and is really noticeable if I stand and give it some welly, like when you accelerate hard or go up a hill.

Initial thoughts were; oh bugger the CSU needs replacing again as it made a similar noise which was diagnosed as a crown/stanchion joint debonding and this could be replicated by dropping the fork out and pulling on the lowers with the steerer in the bike stand. SRAM did this replacement via warranty but of course, this has now lapsed.

However, this time, there is no noise when this test is performed. The stem and bars have been cleaned and put back on. The LBS has checked the crown race and re-greased this and the headset.

Anyone got any ideas and of course the main question, will I die as a result?!

Cheers.

shredder
    Free Member

Pedals – remove – lube threads – re-fit / re torque correctly. Worked on mine yesterday.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tighten cranks and chainring bolts too, then bb

whitestone
    Free Member

I was getting something similar – there was a thread on here recently where the suggestion was made that it might be a dry QR skewer. I checked mine, added some grease and the clicking was no more!

Yes you will die. You will be instantly reborn as a zen master who knows all the answers. Maybe.

oldnpastit

What kind of bottom bracket do you have?

If it’s press fit, you have found your answer.

bimster29
    Free Member

What kind of bottom bracket do you have?

If it’s press fit, you have found your answer.

It’s a sensible external XT BB.

The noise does seem to be from the front of the bike although since I’m half deaf, I could be mistaken.

scandal42
    Free Member

Seeing as it occurs when you put the power down my thoughts are to check the pedals by taking them apart at the axle and greasing and tightening, I had this with my Nukeproof flat pedals a few weeks ago.

The other thing is possibly the bb, mine has gone on the single speed and makes a creaking noise under load, this is also a standard external threaded model.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Faceplate bolts.

Drac

You have crickets. Try easting more Vit C.

bimster29
    Free Member

Faceplate bolts.

I have just bought a new stem so will try that. Failing this, I will try the pedal route and then the QR skewer as suggested.

Thanks to all for the pointers.

teadrinker
    Free Member

I had it once on my old Charge Grater commuter bike. Spent about half an hour playing about with it, got frustrated and bought a new bike. Not the best solution but it fixed it. I can’t afford to do things like that now I have a family.

Sandwich

Then check the freewheel pawls for grease. Can cause a really irritating, intermittent creak/click depending on how wet/dry the ride is.

SiB
    Free Member

Had the same problem for the last 12 months now, it was making me ride slower as the clicking was so annoying, was going to get rid of frame and start again. Like yours it was OK at beginning of ride and gradually got worse, drove me nuts!! This morning over breakfast it occurred to me that the only part of bike I have not replaced then checked for clicking noises was the rear QR skewer……..BINGO!! I also noticed that the spring on the skewer had become firmly wedged in the nut side (as opposed to the closing mech side) so this was put back in to position and joys of joys, a silent bike!!

Suggsey
    Free Member

Worn Time cleats on shimano flat sole shoes give a click/ creak too……I could swap them for new but they’re not worn out so just switch of from the tick tick tick…..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘advice needed: clicking noise driving me mad.’ is closed to new replies.