Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Advice Needed: Best outdoor bike stand (for locking bike to infront of house)
  • Mac
    Free Member

Hey all,

I live in London and am moving to a new place in Fulham. Unfortunately there is zero bike storage inside and we have no access to the back garden therefore the only option for the commuter is to keep it out front. The landlord has agreed to cover the costs of buying/installing a bike stand like the ones shown here.

– I was wondering if anyone had experience with these and could therefore recommend me a certain type?
    – Is there anything to choose between the different models? Any advice you could give would be great.

The commuter isn’t ridiculously expensive however I obviously would like to prevent it getting nicked. Even with the stand installed I think its time to get insurance.

Mac
    Free Member

Apologises in advance – This should probably have been placed on the Bike Forum (my only excuse is I’m still waiting for the first coffee of the day to kick in). If its a big deal can one of the forum mods move it over?

Thanks.

wwaswas

Could you persuade them to go for one of these?

hora
    Free Member

Can I be the first to say you’ll either be left with just a bent frame attached to the stand or the stand will be cut through and your bike vanished.

It would only be a matter of time.

Solution- bike bag and stored behind the bed.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to not even lock it up!

I bet it stays there longer than locking it up, other wise the above is bound to happen anyhow.

Surely the house is not right for your requirements ie you need to look else where?

wwaswas

Maybe a Brompton/Dahon?

z1ppy

Wwaswas solution was what I immediately thought of, when I saw “for locking bike to infront of house

Even with the stand installed I think its time to get insurance.

Do you know of an insurance company will insure you bike left, even if locked, outside your house on display?

Mac
    Free Member

Hi all,

– Yup the house isn’t perfect bike wise but everything else is (including the price)
    – I agree with you – in my head keeping bikes infront of houses is literally like putting a sign up saying “STEAL ME!”
    – I hadn’t researched insurance yet but I see your point z1ppy, that was going to be my next stw search/post
    – The trickiest bit is my other half – she is sold on the house and it looks like I’m going to have to put my foot down and can the idea (based on bikes). Urgh.

xiphon
    Free Member

To me, having somewhere safe to lock our bikes (5 between us) is just as important as having a nice kitchen/bedroom/lounge etc.

i.e. the next house we rent/buy WILL have a garage…. and it might take a while to find a house that ticks those boxes.

hora
    Free Member

Wait until the day you are moving in. Big bike bag. Simples.

When I lived in a flat in central London this is what I used to do.

I wouldn’t even leave a motorbike outside in central London let alone a bicycle.

wwaswas

wouldn’t even leave a motorbike outside in central London

made living in a top floor flat a bit awkward, I’d imagine.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Solution- bike bag and stored behind the bed.

Not very practical having to rebuild it in the hallway in work clothes every morning?

hora
    Free Member

Putting wheels on is better than ringing up your insurance company to see if your covered/need to find a replacement.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Really – just buy a Brompton. Cheaper in the long run.

Junkyard
    Free Member

To me, having somewhere safe to lock our bikes (5 between us) is just as important as having a nice kitchen/bedroom/lounge etc.

THIS

Unless you get a proper storage solution I would buy a piece of crap old roadie bike tbh and accept loosing it every now and again.
    If I had to wheels off and lots of high quality locks and I would hand paint the frame an awful colour and perhaps even the frame post, wheels and bars

hora
    Free Member

Depends on your commute though. I cycled from West Hampstead to Oxford Circus every morning. That would have been truly evil on a Brompton.

In a flat I carried it up 3 stories/flights of stairs. Its not a biggy considering it was a 5mins job both ways.

For me, someone nicking, profiting and enjoying the proceeds of stealing my bike is far worse than me storing a bike inside a bikebag in the house.

wwaswas

maybe if you took the seatpost/saddle and front wheel into the flat and made it look ‘pre-vandalised’ it would deter thieves?

hora
    Free Member

I bet someone would still kick the wheels after a drunken night out!

Mac
    Free Member

Hi all,

Thanks for all the input. I actually like Junkyards idea a lot as I could keep my nice road bike at work (which has secure basement storage) and then get something cheap but which works to get my to/from work.

While I appreciate Bromptons (and love the design) I don’t really want one – it does make sense though. The bikebag idea may work for somepeople but every day up and down the stairs would just be a giant pain in my ass!

Thank you for all the suggestions.

Now – anyone got an old cheapo road frame they want to send my way for a needy 5ft 10 commuter? 😉

jackthedog
    Free Member

Depends on your commute though.

Fair point. Some of the larger wheeled Dahons or an Airnimal might be a better bet – but to be honest I’ve not ridden either.

But locking it outside – it’d be a waste of money even installing the bike stand. Don’t bother – if the bike can’t come indoors with you, you might as well not have it.

And if you’re getting hold of old beater bikes with the idea that you don’t mind them getting stolen, then chances are you’re buying stolen stuff in order for it to get re stolen. After a while you might end up buying back one of your old bikes. Supporting the earnings of persistent bike thieves would annoy me a lot more than riding a folder or carrying a normal bike upstairs every day.

z1ppy

Is there space inside the hall for a high level wall mounted bike stand? I used something like this (below) for my commuter, when I live in a flat.

(similar to this but though a more solid unit with a place for a U-lock to attach to – canne find a piccy of it though)

Or other creative internal storage like these(other suppliers/makes available)

Klunk
    Free Member

don’t think the old tatty bike thing works, someone will still steal it and you will get attached to it, from all the maintenance and setting it up just right. So even if it cost you a tenner you’ll still be gutted when it’s nicked.

hora
    Free Member

Reminds me when I locked my bike up outside the pub, clicked lock went inside to fetch friends other lock down (that he’d brought for me to also lock the front wheel)- 3mins MAX I bet as I was worried about the front wheel…..saddle and seatpost gone.

jackthedog
    Free Member

don’t think the old tatty bike thing works, someone will still steal it and you will get attached to it, from all the maintenance and setting it up just right. So even if it cost you a tenner you’ll still be gutted when it’s nicked.

Agreed. I built a purposefully ugly nightmare of a thing to lock at the gym/pub and I’ll be gutted when it goes because a) I’ll have to find another b) it’s never nice when someone steals from you.

Mac
    Free Member

The issue I see with old tatty bikes is also…

I don’t like riding old tatty bikes.

Call me an idiot but who rides a crap bike to work without wanting to spend money on it. I agree with your point that its just going to cost money and suck when it also eventually gets nicked…

Urgh.

Again thanks for all the posts

molgrips
    Free Member

While I appreciate Bromptons (and love the design) I don’t really want one – it does make sense though.

Bear in mind that there’s far more choice of folding bike than just brompton. Check out Dahon in your local Evans or online. They do everything from tiny folders to real 700c wheel bikes that fold in half.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You can make a bike look tatty and old even if its a good bike – thats what I commute on. I also have good locks.

I wouldn’t leave a bike outside in a city overnight too often tho

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Advice Needed: Best outdoor bike stand (for locking bike to infront of house)’ is closed to new replies.