Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Advice much needed on BB and cransket compatability.
  • kirky72
    Free Member

Picking up a new frame which is apparently according to Canyon;

Press-Fit/ 89,5 mm/41mm

Looking around I can find what I think is the right BB but crankset wise they don’t seem to show the width only if they are coming with a BB they may say fits 73mm BB shell. Nothing shows as 89.5mm.

I’m confused by this or is it just a case that less of the spindle will be showing due to the bottom bracket being wider. So concentrate on the right BB for the shell and the cranksets will be okay as long as they are the right type eg hollowtech, octolink GXP etc.

I’m looking for a single ring narrow wide and was looking at the raceface evolve or turbine Cinch. If anybody can tell that I would be okay with these and the relevant BB or recommend any other single narrow wide crank for circa £150 I would be very greatful.

The frame is a Canyon grand canyon CF 2014.

blairc70
    Free Member

For that crank you will need http://www.mountainbikebitz.com/race-face-cinch-bb92-bottom-bracket-30mm-p-33603.html?gclid=CMr4j9jtocECFW3JtAodOmcAeg&utm_campaign=products&utm_medium=BaseFeed1&utm_source=GoogleBase1

If you want to run a shimano or Sram crank both do a press fit BB both for around (£20 try ebay)

Hope is the best one but thats needs a special tool for fitting.

On a traditional BB the screw cups sit outside the frame hence the difference is dimensions, the press fit ones fit a range of frame widths 86, 89.5, 92.

Just make sure the 41mm diameter size is right ( shimano do a 42mm one! )

Hope this help

Blair

kirky72
    Free Member

thank you for the advice, much appreciated.

I have found a few bottom bracket options. One which will work with Shimano hollowtech cranks so I would expect to be able to by the XT and the raceface one you have linked to.

However I’m more concerned over the correct width of the crankset as for the race face ones or Shimano XT hollowtech it doesn’t mention being 89.5mm wide or any width unless on sme sets it comes bundled with a BB then it says its to fit BB shell 73/74mm. this may be referring purely to the BB that is included however theres nothing to give any confidence that the crankset would be the right width for my 89.5mm bottom bracket. Or as you say if the other cups sit externally than the total width end ups being the same.

Its probably a stupid question and concern however I just want to be sure before I purchase.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Advice much needed on BB and cransket compatability.’ is closed to new replies.