Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Advice – lightening a Genesis CdF
  • adamthekiwi
    Free Member

Hi All,

My wife has a CdF, which she loves. It’s primarily used for road work at the moment (and a bit of touring) and she’s starting to find the weight a bit much. So, I’d like some advice on the best places to reduce it…

The biggest quick win, I guess, will be the wheels – any recommendations for a lightweight 700c disc wheelset? She’s light and the bike won’t be used for anything particularly hardcore, but it would be good if they could stand up to some light touring…

Seatpost, stem and bars are possibilities too, but I guess I’ll only be shaving a few grams there. Any recommendations?

Anything else?

Thanks – Adam…

slparsons
    Free Member

Stans Iron Cross rims are light. Charlie the Bikemonger had some built wheels on special last week.

spyke85
    Free Member

Aren’t the Iron Cross limited to 60psi?

remoterob
    Free Member

Kinesis CrossLight CX Disc V3

1550g for £250 (if Winstanleys still have them in stock)

mlke
    Free Member

Re Ironcross – I have these with Hope hubs on my CdF equivalent – a vaya. They are fine with 90psi tyres. I think the lower limit refers to running tubeless

karnali
    Free Member

Charlie bike monger stans alphas on x9 hubs should b quite light.

plus-one

Remove all the bits from frame and transfer them all onto a lighter frame/carbon fork 😉

I had genesis day one totally tricked out with light wheels/carbon fork and all lightweight parts ..

19.5lbs !!!

I never even had gears ..

Lovely frames but heavy

Jamie
    Free Member

As per above, don’t spend loads of money trying to get a lighter CDF. If you want a lighter bike, then swap the frame/fork. £250+ will get you some wheels that give you a 500g-1kg saving, but the frame will be a steel frame.

Just accept it for what it is, and spend the wheel money on a holiday 😀

ampthill

That was my thoughts, it doesn’t seems like a bike that was intended to be light

Also light people apparently don’t get much benefit from frame flex to I’d be looking at an Al frame

Light people need a light bike much more than biffers like me

cinnamon_girl

I’ve been pretty happy using mine on rough, pot-holed country lanes. Yes, the wheels are extremely heavy but give confidence when used with 32mm Conti’s.

Would love some Hope Mini’s on mine but that won’t happen although tempted with a carbon fork.

At the end of the day it’s not supposed to be lightweight and reckon Jamie is talking sense. He does have some experience of cx bikes. 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’ll notice the wheels but I wouldn’t replace more, it’s just never going to be light.

mulacs

Depressing – I have the same bike and the same quandary….would love to make it lighter with the kinesis wheels and carbon fork but at the same time know that the frame is always going to be a lump… The missus has a Croix de Fer and I’m always marvelling at how much lighter it is. Think the solution is upgrade to the 2nd gen equilibrium disk when it’s out or the 931 Croix. Just have to wait till I can get some more CTW credit . Ho hum!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Advice – lightening a Genesis CdF’ is closed to new replies.