Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Advice laying new lawn on clay
  • sig123
    Free Member

Advice really , just dug out new foundations for exstension and instead of paying for skips and dumper I’ve spread about 10 inches of earth over the whole lawn which is mostly clay, don’t really want to barrow 10-15 tons of top soil round so was after other ideas for laying new turf over it all.

jimmy

Put some drainage in. In brief, dig channels, half fill with gravel, lay on corrugated piping, cover with gravel, lay over soil + turf. Landscaping fabric lining the channels / encasing the gravel, too. Has worked for us, albeit need to put another in.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My last house had clay soil and the lawn was always water logged when it rained – a real no-go zone when wet as it was just a quagmire. After a few years it became overrun with moss too due to it being so wet. I’d agree with jimmy and get some drainage in while you can. I looked into doing this before we moved out – doesn’t look too tricky a job to tackle yourself – a big job with a bit of digging, but pretty simple. I have no idea how much it would cost to get someone in to do it for you.

craigxxl
    Free Member

You’d have been better to have got rid of it. We also have a clay layer and as above deep drainage ditch and gravel to prevent it get waterlogged

sig123
    Free Member

The original lawn was on clay so getting rid of it would of been a waste of effort and money.

joat

Work on the drainage and also the soil. You can have as much drainage as you want, but if the clay is compacted it will hold any water on the surface. Try and get some freer draining soil rotorvated in before you turf. Or use a good strong fork to make big vertical holes and brush in some dry sand to act as a drainpipe.

large418
    Free Member

I mowed our moss earlier. You can grow to like it…..

jimmy

Should have added, the drainage pipe needs to go somewhere but you’ll likely have waste water pipes somewhere in your garden – just need to dig round it and add a junction from your newly laid pipe. Mine was a very amateur job but it’s no different to kids toys – whatever fits!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Be very wary ^^ of just connecting run off from a few land drains into your main system. A silt trap is a must!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Advice laying new lawn on clay’ is closed to new replies.