Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Advice: Investing club funds better ?
  • redthunder
    Free Member

We have a couple of grand in a bank account for a local club I’m in. Every year it irks me to see it never grow with crappy interest rates.

Basically can clubs invest in something else, say shares, prem bonds, lumps of gold etc.

Just wondering if its allowed?

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

5thElefant
    Free Member

What happens when the investment goes down in value?

redthunder
    Free Member

Run away 😉

More wondering if a club can do investments with so called member money.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Used to have this discussion regularly in my old club. We had thousands doing nothing, IMO a club should have nothing left every year around subscription time. Spend it well, tools, turbos, whatever everyone can get the use of.

swanny853

We’ve used it for ‘things’. Club easy up for races, a couple of lights for people to try out night riding, I think some race radios for the roadies, that sort of thing. Not investment as such but it puts the money to work for the club

marcus7
    Free Member

Why have money left? Spending it on useful club stuff!!

bruneep

Had this when I was the mannie* of the club, I always worked on the almost zero balance at end of year. We gave donation to mountain rescue, free bar/food at club agm, sponsored entry to bike events tools etc.

There was always the whingers who weren’t happy, if you’re not happy come up here and take your turn to do the job and make the decisions.

*I am no longer the mannie, nor a member.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

*I am no longer the mannie, nor a member

Funnily enough, neither am I mate!.

redthunder
    Free Member

The club is not a biking related. But the fund is set aside for possibly buying some land. But it never grows 🙁

Perhaps spending it all could be an option.

redthunder
    Free Member

The club is not a biking related. But the fund is set aside for possibly buying some land. But it never grows 🙁

Perhaps spending it all could be an option.

bruneep
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

With interest rates the way they are, and look to be staying, the only way it’ll grow is with more funds being invested from members, or drugs n hookers.

acidchunks

Shares. You can set up what is known as an investment club but that would be tricky given you’ve probably got members leaving & joining each year and you’d be required to keep the broker up to date with everyone who had an interest in the investments. Wouldn’t be easy finding a decent stockbroker either. As far as I know most of them have ceased to offer investment club accounts, mostly because they’re a massive pain in the arse to deal with and generate very little revenue for the stockbroker. Unless you’re already a successful private investor, managing investments on behalf of others is quite possibly a bad idea.

Why not arrange a few (more?) subsidised cycling trips or spunk the whole lot on a christmas party at the end of the year?

Edit. not cycling club. 😳

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Advice: Investing club funds better ?’ is closed to new replies.