Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Advice from the STW guru's needed (achey leg content)
  • officialtob
    Free Member

Hi everyone!

I’m looking for a bit of advice regarding my achey/burney legs, and whether or not other people experience the same thing, and if so the best way around it? Now for the tricky bit…actually explaining it;

Basically, if I ride more than 3 days in a row (and I’m not talking epic rides, i’m talking about my flat 10 mile each way commute) my legs just seem to get ‘tired’ by day 4. When I say ‘tired’ I mean they get the ‘burny’ feeling when I put any pressure whatsoever on the pedals – or even walking up steps, etc.

I’ve been doing the same commute for about a year – so its not like i’ve just ramped up my mileage or anything, so I thought my legs would have just got used to it by now? And I dont race to work either, probably go at around 75%?

It’s now at a point where its preventing me from going on club rides in the week, because I loath taking the car to work – and the only way for my legs to stop feeling achey is to give them a day or two off.

Is there anything I can do to get my legs to MTFU? Ie, any specific training I could do?

Any advice is genuinely appreciated 🙂

Paceman
    Free Member

Are you refuelling properly after rides, sounds like a recovery issue to me?

officialtob
    Free Member

Probably not – what would be classed as ‘properly’? I neck a couple of pints of water if that counts? Haha 🙄

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wiltsrider
    Free Member

What intensity do you ride at? Is it a pootle or flat out commute?

nickjb
    Free Member

I do a lot of sport on the evenings, and get a similar effect. It might be refuelling for me as it’s bedtime by the time I get home

officialtob
    Free Member

What intensity do you ride at? Is it a pootle or flat out commute?

I’d say around 70-75% – with little extra bursts here and there where I like to attempt to keep up with traffic in some of the busier parts.

Paceman
    Free Member

Probably not – what would be classed as ‘properly’? I neck a couple of pints of water if that counts? Haha

Maybe try a recovery drink like Science in Sport ‘Rego’ or similar. It works for me after epic day rides or multi-day rides. They also do a bedtime one to aid sleep and recovery overnight, although i’ve not tried it.

wiltsrider
    Free Member

Maybe you need to factor in some recovery ride/Z2 commutes in a couple of time a week?

The soreness is possibly micro tears in your muscles which aren’t getting the time needed to repair- a good rubdown may also help clear out any of the waste in the muscles etc.

A recovery drink of some kind will aid said repair, but gentle rides or a day off the bike will more likely be of benefit.

IMO etc…

glupton1976
    Free Member

It’s not your legs that need to man up it’s your head. Plus that water is doing nowt for you.

Just eat properly and push on through your burny legs and you’ll be grand.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Advice from the STW guru's needed (achey leg content)’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts