Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Advice from London people for a visitor from Northumberland please.
  • paul4stones

I’m going to Central London for a day , overnight in Islington then heading off the next day to swansea and back north. Is there a good place to leave a car where I can get a train in and out of the city? I’m wondering about St Albans/Hemel Hempstead area?

Thanks, I’ll shut the gate when I leave 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not a london type…
    How about Alnmouth station? Train to London, train to swansea then back again.

paul4stones

Except that I live near Hexham and need to collect a boat from Swansea 🙂 Perfect plan otherwise though.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Last time I looked Hexam still had a rail link to Newcastle. Swansea and that Londinuim also.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

even I gave up when he said he was taking a boat back…

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Ah…. Assumed he meant sailing one back. Don’t know why, just seemed far more STW than dragging one behind a car.

I will get my coat.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

On a similar journey years ago, I parked at Stanstead airport and got the train into London, did what I had to do there then train out to car to carry on with my journey.

alanl
    Free Member

The usual recommendations are Stanmore station car park – just off the M1 (Junc. 4?) then tube in, or Brent Cross.
    A mate works in London each week, drives to Brent Cross, parks up for the week, uses the Tube for the week, then drives back. Has been doing it for 3 years, never had a problem with damage to the car. I’m not sure if he uses the shopping centre car park, I assumed he did.

stumpy01

Yeah, Stanmore would be a good choice and get the Jubilee line in.

toby1

If you are looking for free parking then Bushey is also an option.

If not then get the ringgo app and work out which station has the cheapest parking.

paul4stones

Yes, I’m sorry my plans are so complicated. Believe me I have considered all options and would much rather take the train or even cycle! At least the boat is a single speed . . .

Brent Cross looks ideal – that’s basically the end of the M1 isn’t it?

Thanks everyone.

BigJohn

If you go down the M40 you might park somewhere like Turnham Green or Hounslow which means next day you are handy for the M4 out to Swansea.

And you can stop off at that pub on the M40 as well!

dr_death
    Free Member

We’ve done the same a couple of times (well, without picking up a boat in Swansea on the way back( and parked at Wembley station. Couple of quid a day in the secure long stay behind the station.

flashpaul
    Free Member

Wembley is a good shout , couple of quid parking and tube/overland trains , it’s also fairly easy to get onto the M4 which you will probably take to Swansea.
    Further afield Luton Parkway is another option , pay to park at the premier inn and get train into Kings Cross

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Advice from London people for a visitor from Northumberland please.’ is closed to new replies.