• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Gunz.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Advice for building storage level in outbuilding.
  • Gunz
    Free Member

Good morning. My outbuilding has a peaked roof and I want to replace the internal flat ceiling with something more robust so I can store stuff up there (nothing too heavy, just family tents etc). First off, to avoid drilling endless joist hangers into the brick wall I was thinking of using wall bolts to run a heavy beam either side of the room (dimensions about 5m long by 3m wide) and to screw the hangers into this. Does this sound reasonable?

Also, as it’s not taking a huge weight (I will be plaster boarding it and insulating as well) what joist dimensions and spacing could I get away with?

Cheers.

nickjb
    Free Member

Joists onto a beam bolted to the wall is fine. Its how I’ve done my last two roofs. Much easier IMO. I’d probably go 150 at 600 centres which is a little under for a floor but probably overkill for light storage.

Gunz
    Free Member

Cheers Nick, good to hear your experience with a bolted beam, the building is mostly slate so I really didn’t fancy a lot of drilling. I presume the 150 refers to the depth of the joist.
    I’ll probably have to crawl up there occasionally to get stuff, will this take my (75kg) weight?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Gunz
    Free Member

Just thought, how many bolts along the 5 m length. I generally massively overbuild stuff so some moderation in this case may avoid a lot of drilling.

Gary_M
    Free Member

First off, to avoid drilling endless joist hangers into the brick wall I was thinking of using wall bolts to run a heavy beam either side of the room (dimensions about 5m long by 3m wide) and to screw the hangers into this. Does this sound reasonable?

I built a mezzanine storage platform in my garage and that’s the way I did it. It’s still up 🙂

Gunz
    Free Member

That’s exactly the thing I’m looking at Gary, could you advise on spacing and length of bolts etc? Thanks.

neilwheel
    Free Member

The timber your planning to fix first is called a wall plate, fixings depend on type and quality of the wall. You want a minimum of one fixing per joist spacing at 400mm centers, you fit more if required or using a larger joist spacing. Assuming you are using 50mm timber, the fixings should project around 100mm into the wall, slightly less if a single skin of brickwork. You need to drill accurately for expansion bolts as they will tend to crack the brick or block if close to the edge or not hold in mortar joints. Another fairly cheap option is to resin fix studs. Just follow the instructions and make sure you clean out the holes well.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I can check the spacing tonight Gunz as I built it in 2015 so can’t remember. here’s a pic before I floored it. It’s slightly over engineered 🙂

[/url]Untitled by Gary MacLean, on Flickr[/img]

Gunz
    Free Member

Thanks all, really useful. I can’t wait to get started now, as soon as I have storage and all the c##p out of the way I can get to work on the surround sound XBox / music room (a bolt hole away from the teenagers) 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Advice for building storage level in outbuilding.’ is closed to new replies.