Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • advice for a (silly old bastard) gym virgin.
  • ton

ride my bike every day, but losing muscle mass at a pretty rapid rate.
    never had big legs, but now they look like they belong to someone half my size. my arms look like bits of string too.
    so i am going to join a gym and try to go a couple of times per week.

good/bad idea? or follow a plan at home, kettles, dumbells, whatever?
    would like to aid weight loss and tone up, not get any bigger.

any advice greatly appreciated

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

+1 interested in this.

Got a gym at work. I want to get stronger rather than bulkier. I’ve been adapting the 5*5 program for weights machines, but now need to learn decent form for free weights.

khani
    Free Member

Yoga and swimming,.
    I can scratch my arse with my little toe now..

jambalaya
    Free Member

As per other thread imho bike is going to look after cardio-vacular, for muscle development/halt decline you need some greater resistance, ie weights basically. You can do a bit at home for sure with some quite simple kit. Depends what motivates you more as ime its the motivation = discipline which counts.

MoreCashThanDash

Thinking of going back to the gym as well, as we have one at work. I’m two stone lighter than when I was last a gym bunny, but the loss of practical strength, rather than the old showy strength and the spread of my waistline means I need to get my shit back together.

jimmy

I can’t do gyms, bore me silly so I do military fitness bootcamps. Fun, hard, outdoors.

That’s my advice.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you’re doing a spin class, take a seat at the back. The view is always better.

sadexpunk

aye, sounds like a weights routine may be beneficial mate. whether you go to a gym or get yerself a little set-up at home depends on what suits your lifestyle really. live near a gym? that may be easier then. spare room in the house and you want to yap to your wife whilst working out? then spend a bit of wedge on some kit yourself, itll be cheaper than a gym membership in the long run.

dont worry about not wanting to get any bigger, it doesnt happen by accident. a decent routine will help your strength, then itll be down to what you eat as to whether you lose or gain weight.

you wishing you hadnt sold me those 25kg plates now? 😀

pitduck
    Free Member

pics khani or it never happened 😀

mickmcd
    Free Member

Don’t get stuck in a cubicle and shout for help

Rubber_Buccaneer

If you’re doing a spin class, take a seat at the back. The view is always better.

DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS MAN. What I have seen can not be unseen

Northwind

Get yourself an induction, if it’s available- they’ll talk you through the machines and kit, tell you what to do to achieve what you want to. If they’re any good, that is. Sometimes it’s quite funny seeing people misuse equipment, other times it’s pretty worrying, you can easily do yourself a mischief. Our roid-raging accountant is forever hurting himself in the gym, he does what feels cool and GRRR and won’t do what The Man says he should, and twists himself up like a carpet beater.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Have you been dieting?

Might want to check if you’re not diabetic if weight/muscle loss has been super fast.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Work out what you want to achieve.
    Work out why you are losing muscle.
    Then work out what to do about it….

olddog

I go bouldering at the local indoor bouldering centre. Good all body strength work out and, for me, less boring than just lifting. But I do now actually do more strength work as well training for the bouldering, body weight stuff mainly,pull ups, press ups, dips, but also weights. Really notice the difference in tone and shape when work pressure reduces my wall time

twinw4ll
    Free Member

You have really got to enjoy going in the gym, i enjoy the pain and stress involved, the gym i go to is full of fat folk on jogging machines, it’s sad to see.
    Sort your head out first, ask yourself how bad do i want it. Aim high, there are plenty of youtube vids to inspire you. Find out what your calorie maintenance is and cut it by 500 calories, eat plenty of protein balanced with good fats and veg. You can increase muscle mass while in calorie deficit.
    Talk to a personal trainer and do a routine which involves the big compound exercises, it’s not about how strong the body is, it’s how strong the mind is.

ton

got a proper grunt and sweat gym near work…..no bikes/rowers/ergo things, proper musty smelling roid place.

gonna call in on monday morning, ideal before work twice a week.

bones
    Free Member

Compound lifts with proper form. Good guides from the likes of Alan Thrall on YouTube.

sadexpunk

got a proper grunt and sweat gym near work…..no bikes/rowers/ergo things, proper musty smelling roid place.

ahhhh thats what you want, spot on 😉

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Now go to youtube and watch the Rocky montage/theme, the rest is history in the making. 😀
    Keep us posted on progress, don’t forget, if it’s easy it ain’t worth having.

footflaps

A gym is only as good as the instructors, of which 99% are utter shite. If you can find someone helpful who genuinely knows what they’re talking about and will take the time to teach you good form in Squats and Deadlifts, then join that gym. Anyone with a 3 weekend YHA course at a fitness instructor (most chain gyms) is to be avoided like the plague. If they mention machines for weights, walk away.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘advice for a (silly old bastard) gym virgin.’ is closed to new replies.