Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Advice for a road bike novice before I click Buy It Now please.
  • I’ve made up my mind I’m definitely getting a road bike and I’ve started collecting second hand bits to build up something suitable for time trialling and general riding. I’ll see how I like it first before I go for a dedicated TT bike.
    In the mean time, I’m looking for something I can just get on and ride on the local club rides and use for commuting.

This looks good to me.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/SALE/14/Verenti_Kilmeston_Ex-Demo/5360051814/
    Right size, a bit more upright than most drop barred bikes to help me get used to the position, good reviews.
    http://road.cc/content/news/17806-new-verenti-kilmeston-looks-stunning-value
    http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/gear-news/verenti-kilmeston-first-ride/5316.html
    30% off as an ex demo. Another 2% off via Quidco.

Only one left in stock. Any good reason why I shouldn’t buy it ?

oldgit
    Free Member

It reminds me of the Giant SCR’s, don’t know what they’re called now.
    Nothing really stands out to make it seem any better than many other offerings.
    However, it’s what gentlemen of my age would call a clubmans bike and therefore ideal for your use.

kilo

Provided it fit’s no major reason, the rrp seems quite high when compared to Ribble alloy road bikes, not sure what level the sram groupset is compared to shimano or campag but pressume the frame quality is going to be very similar.

If it were me and I was going to race later I would buy a road bike without an “upright” set up. If you get the right size, don’t cut the steering tube right down and, if needs be, flick the stem over it should be comfortable, fine for club runs, commuting, with tri bars tt’s till you get the bug for them and if you decide to road racing. If you do get a road bike join a club, really helps if you plan to race.

tinribz
    Free Member

Looks like a bargain find to me. Rival is arguably better than 105, it is certainly more expensive, and lighter although they swap the cranks on this model. Anyway a Ribble 105 is 800 GBP, while this one is 800 USD. 105 level treks etc are around the 1k mark.

Thanks for the advice.
    “Clubman’s bike”, yes,that’s the phrase I was looking for. 😀
    I looked at Ribble and I like their on line custom build option. Something similar with SRAM Rival worked out about £100 more. If I was paying full RRP, then I think the Ribble may have been the better deal, but in the end I’ve gone for the discounted Ex Demo Verenti.

I went out on a mid week run with a local club recently as a guest. Four old guys on road bikes and me on my 29er hardtail. I kept up. 8)
    I’ll definitely be joining a club and getting involved in organised events once I’ve learned what the difference is between an audax, a brevet, a sportive and a randonneur.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Experienced my first road race as part of a tri on Sunday and have to say I absolutely LOVED it! While I’m quick(ish) up hill and on the flat, my technical DH speed is pretty dire on an MTB – on a road bike you just go completely flat out without worrying about slipping on a root/hitting a tree/crashing into a rock/etc. You also don’t stop pedalling – just constantly spinning those pedals nice and fast.

While my MTB is fairly “tricked up” my road bike is very basic – a 2010 Allez Elite. During the race (first time I’ve ever ridden with anyone else on a road bike, let along raced) it became clear that many of those on tricked up super bikes weren’t going any faster than those fitter riders on low level machines – the guy that was 4th (out of 140) has some old tourer style bike! I was 20th fastest on the bike and overtook many on S Works, high end Cervelos (sp?), Bianchis, etc, etc.

What this said to me was that for road riding, fitness is key not kit. So happy to be leaving my road bike as standard – it’s still flipping light (well it is to me), it works really well and will hopefully not break.

Unless higher end kit actually has a performance advantage more than saving a few grams, I’ll stick to my Tiagra groupset and bog standard wheels and tyres.

What that waffle means is don’t go for anything too high end. If you’re fast on an MTB, you’ll be fast on a road bike.

RustySpanner

They really look like a great all round road bike – had a very good review in Cycle Active recently.

Wheels are hand built apparantly, which Ribble recently told me they’ve stopped doing – looks like a much higher front end than the Ribble as well, even without the spacers.

I looked at one of these Surosa Audax bikes as well – very well respected local shop, but ended up buying secondhand.

Mat, one thing I’ve learned from mountain bike racing is that you can never tell how fast someone is just by looking at their bike. I guess it’s the same for TTs and tris.

I’ve noticed that when I ride with other mountain bikers, I am always the fastest coasting down non technical descents like roads and grassy fields, for example. I put it down to weight, big wheels and high tyre pressures.
    When I went out with those roadies recently, I was having to pedal to keep up as they all coasted down hill.
    I think, at my level, once everyone is on skinny high pressure tyres, a few grams one way or the other isn’t going to make a big difference to my speed.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

MTG – true enough. However the guy that won was on an incredibly trick looking Cervelo wonder bike!

There were a few (not many) on hybrids with slicks – admittedly none of them did very well!

I just love the feeling of “letting go” down a steep hill on a road bike – very, very rarely feel confident enough on an MTB on technical(ish) terrain to do that. A few nasty crashes are to blame.

Another question from a roadie novice. I’m sure it won’t be the last. 🙄
    I want to get some spare tubes in advance ready for my first ride.

Any idea what length valves I need ? They’re not very deep rims, so I’m guessing 42mm would be OK. Does that sound about right ?

Here’s a pic if it helps.

cp

yep, looks like 42 will be fine. that rim looks about 30mm section, so you should be fine!

oldgit
    Free Member

Get 52mm valves. They look similar to some 30mm Alex A-Class rims I have. And it’s difficult to get a pump to grip with 10mm of valve showing.
    Really good tyres those, I race on them. Fine mix of weight and toughness.

Edit; They look like Alex rims?

OK, thanks.
    I’ll go for the slightly longer ones then to be sure.

Verenti is Wiggle’s own brand.
    My guess is that, for stuff like rims, they use other manufacturers products and put their own logo on it.
    Could well be Alex rims then.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Advice for a road bike novice before I click Buy It Now please.’ is closed to new replies.