Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Advice for a novice on moving music collection onto an IPod Classic 6th Gen.
  • qwerty
    Free Member

Wifes just brought a used 160gb IPod. Never owned one before and usually pretty bad at this kinda IT stuff.

Does it need “formatting” or any “reset” before she starts loading up her music collection?

Any tips / links / advice on transferring music onto IPod (mainly CD & some on ITunes.

Is it easy???

Ta.

jekkyl

If it asks you to name it when you plug it in for the first time then the previous owner reset it before selling it to you. If not then just click restore on the right hand side of the summary for the pod.
    I prefer to have my music stored as generic mp3 files so just used a free CD ripper and then drag and dropped the tracks into itunes and then sync up. I prefer to make my own playlists so always tick the ‘manage music manually’ box but you can upload whole albums and hopefully the CD ripper you’ve used will have tagged all the tracks, which itunes will pick up and label the tracks and put them in album order for you.

STATO
    Free Member

I prefer to have my music stored as generic mp3 files so just used a free CD ripper and then drag and dropped the tracks into itunes and then sync up. I prefer to make my own playlists so always tick the ‘manage music manually’ box but you can upload whole albums and hopefully the CD ripper you’ve used will have tagged all the tracks, which itunes will pick up and label the tracks and put them in album order for you.

See I never understood peoples need to go out there way to ‘avoid iTunes’ when you are just doing stuff it does anyway.

ITunes will rip to mp3 if you want it to.
    It will identify the CD when you rip it.
    It will store your tunes by the artist/album in a location of your choosing.
    It has the capability to create manual playlists, so keeping a record of them if you decide to remove in preference to another playlist, compared to trying to remember what songs you manually dropped on the device last time.
    You can sync any combination of manual playlists to a device, along with albums or artists etc. then come back and swap them for something else next time, all in a few clicks.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jekkyl

The reason is our household use devices for music that are not apple. i.e. android phone and sony mp3 players, but yes I agree if I only used apple devices I can’t see any issue with using itunes to rip cds.
    But you have educated me as I didn’t realise itunes rips to mp3. 🙂

slowoldman

It does a good deal more besides. I have videos, TV shows, films, etc, all in iTunes. But then (sigh) I’m a fanboy. In my defence I don’t drive a white Audi.

cbike
    Free Member

ITunes and Google music also sync to android device with a wee app that is seemless. Album art if available will also transfer or be found for you

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Advice for a novice on moving music collection onto an IPod Classic 6th Gen.’ is closed to new replies.