Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Advice for a newbie
  • gregga
    Free Member

I've not read many of the forum posts so apologies if this has been covered before. Once my bike has been built I'll be looking for some local trails to ride to see how I get on. Done plenty of road riding but totally new to the dirt. I live in Hertfordshire (Kings Langley) and looking for advice on places to get some ride time in. Wendover Woods is about the only place fairly local that I know of, so any advice?

oldgit
    Free Member

There's Ashridge, or a short trip in the car? to Woburn.

gregga
    Free Member

Ashridge is a good shout actually. Is that the start of the Ridgeway trail? Plan is to bike the whole Ridgeway (and some) later inthe year…

oldgit
    Free Member

Yeah, but this side of the Ridgeway is footpath, so you need to do some mapwork though I think from Princes Risborough'ish it's all bridleway. It's quagmire though this side, so pick your date carefully.
    There are plenty of nearby places if you can use a car as well.

oldgit
    Free Member

I think there might be some stuff Sarrat way, though I'm not sure and it'll probably be a bit agricultural.

alpin
    Free Member

ride for a bit, see how you get on and then book yourself on a skills course.

lookout for 'jedi' on this forum. he around hertfordshire, i think.

gregga
    Free Member

Planning on the Ridgeway ride is underway. Have car so can travel further afield, no bike at the moment though, just a bunch of parts waiting for a frame 😥

oldgit
    Free Member

Well then there's shed loads of all year riding around Woburn and there's a nice 36 mile all off road loop near Stokenchurch, that'll give you a taster of what to expect on the ridgeway 😐

oldgit
    Free Member

The Ridgeway in Summer 😆

gregga
    Free Member

Awesome. Good old Birtish summers 🙂
    Thanks for the tips. I'll get looking.

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Hello gregga, I'm in Hemel, just up the road, we mainly ride in ashridge and around tring and wendover. It's mighty muddy this time of the year but pretty good once it dries out.

oldgit
    Free Member

Jez do you do a 'regular' Ashridge ride, if when?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Like Jez says, plenty of good riding round where you are, just get a 1:50000 of the explorer and follow your nose. Also like Jez says, it's mighty muddy in that area this time of year, so if you want something slightly less muddy then woburn/north downs are a better bet.

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Oldgit, not a formal 'regular' ride but we are out reasonably frequently….. Although for some reason there has been a noticable drop off in enthusiasm recently…..

gregga
    Free Member

Thanks chaps. Not really up for taking on anything to challenging until I find my wheels (and whether I can stay on them 8O).

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

im up at woburn and its pretty good. im in little brick hill.

we should set a meet up?

jedi

alpin, indeed i am in hertfordshire and do skills coaching at woburn 🙂

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Oldgit/Gregga
    there's a regular Thursday night ride that starts at 7.30pm from in front of Berkhamsted golf club and one from Potten End Green Saturday 1.30pm

skiboy
    Free Member

hi gregga

and welcome to the forum now lets get that frame and bolt those bits to
    it 😀

as they say woburn/brickhill with me, brian and his band of merry men
    is the best bet, it's all the sand it gives it great drainage. Still a bit muddy getting to the top though 😥

si

gregga
    Free Member

How long before I'm ready for a night ride????? I guess a pre-req would also to get set up with some decent lights so one step at a time!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Advice for a newbie’ is closed to new replies.