• This topic has 107 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by kimi.
Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • Advice chasing someone for arrears
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

For £400 you’ll get me and 3 heavies to encourage him to pay.

kimi
    Free Member

am i really the only person here who has a little respect/sympathy with the chap who spends his last £800 on going on holiday rather than giving it to the landlord?

OP this isn’t personal, I’m sorry you’re out of pocket but you’ll be okay.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

am i really the only person here who has a little respect/sympathy with the chap who spends his last £800 on going on holiday rather than giving it to the landlord?

You really are looking for a bite aren’t you?

So suppose I owed you £800 for something, doesn’t matter what, but I went on holiday instead, your’e actually ok with that?

kimi
    Free Member

So suppose I owed you £800 for something, doesn’t matter what, but I went on holiday instead, your’e actually ok with that?

If i was your landlord and you left me £800 in arrears i’d be quick to write it off. I’d try not to get cross about how you’d spent the money, whether it was on a holiday, fags or a dog.

I’d definitely kick you out though.

cornholio98
    Free Member

kimi – Member

OP this isn’t personal, I’m sorry you’re out of pocket but you’ll be okay.

Replace go on holiday with pay his staff. Would that make a difference? If you have entered into an agreement to pay someone for a service then in my mind it is unacceptable to not pay.

I can sympathize that the guy may have had a crap time of it and wanted to go on holiday but by not paying his bills he must expect some kind of reaction.

OP if you know where he works can you not get him served there?

iolo
    Free Member

Guys, stop feeding the troll.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Not necessarily respect/sympathy for this, but I have little symapthy for landlord who, in my experience, do shat all and expect the world. They’re nothing buy theives.
    There are also some good landlords out there.
    Who’s to say that someone else hadn’t paid for this holiday or it was a 20p special from The Sun?
    As mentioned above, was the guy named on the agreement?
    Was the holiday paid for before he hit hard times?
    Lots of unanswered questions that would normally get asked here, but on the odd ocassion the questioner gets lambasted and is the bad guy.
    Yay to balanced views. 🙄
    EDIT: And yes, I’m obvioulsy trolling because my view is different from the majority of BTL landlords on here. 😆

frankconway

If it really was his last £800 he must be thick as pig sh1t to blow it on a holiday.
    Based on the OP’s posts I have no sympathy for the former tenant.
    As for respect – did the tenant show any respect to the landlord?
    At what point would Kimi take a different view? If the arrears were into 4 figures – what about £5k?

Jamie
    Free Member

Guys, stop feeding the troll.

But I’ve just bought all these troll food pellets?

kimi
    Free Member

At what point would Kimi take a different view? If the arrears were into 4 figures – what about £5k?

i love all these scenarios but whats wrong with the one we’ve got?

If it really was his last £800 he must be thick as pig sh1t to blow it on a holiday.

This is charming but i can assure you i know what id prefer to do with my last £800, i assume from your tone you think he’d be much less stupid to give it to the BTL landlord.

frankconway

Kimi – Yawn

tlr

“This is charming but i can assure you i know what id prefer to do with my last £800, i assume from your tone you think he’d be much less stupid to give it to the BTL landlord.”

What you’d prefer to do hasn’t the slightest relevance. There is only one legally and morally correct thing to do, and that is to pay the person that you owe money to. Goods or services have been provided so pay up.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Goods or services have been provided so pay up.

For this we only have the OPs word that the good or service was up to the agreed price.

monksie
    Free Member

“For this we only have the OPs word that the good or service was up to the agreed price.”

Incredibly tenuous at best and as the tenant agreed to live at the property for the agreed rent price, it’s hugely safe to assume that yes, in the errant tenants opinion, the goods or service were up to the agreed price.

My wife has rented a couple of properties out. Not a buy to let mortgagee though. Bought with inheritance money and her savings. She’s been very lucky in that all the tenants have been ace, looked after the properties, paid all the bills etc. Except one. That one was me 🙂

Anyway. I’m with the sane majority. The guy is an arse for not paying the rent but for going on holiday. Even if the holiday had been booked ages ago, he should have cancelled and paid something if not all of the outstanding rent. Legal and moral obligation. The guy is a thief.

kimi
    Free Member

What you’d prefer to do hasn’t the slightest relevance.

and yet despite this, the scoundrel actually managed to go on holiday with the last months rent.

I’m amazed so many bother, it sounds like a total head ache. Guess there must be a bit of money in it. Which is fine.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Anyway. I’m with the sane majority.

Someone who disagrees with you is what?

Incredibly tenuous at best and as the tenant agreed to live at the property for the agreed rent price, it’s hugely safe to assume that yes, in the errant tenants opinion, the goods or service were up to the agreed price.

Fresh lick of paint and everything is fine an dandy for the summer inspection, come winter and we discover the rads are too small to heat the room, the double glazing blew its seals and hasn’t worked for years, and yes, thank god it was a dry summer so the leaks didn’t appear until the cold, wet winter, but now they’re here. And yes, if work was needed the landlord suddenly became anreachable. Choose one or all.

njee20
    Free Member

I once met a shop keeper I didn’t like. Shop keepers are scum. Am I getting it right captainsasquatch? Is my chip big enough?

Kimi, amazingly I have some RS685 discs like you’re after. Yours for £200. I may just go on holiday rather than pay to post them though. But that’s cool, of course.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Am I getting it right captainsasquatch?

No, you’re miles off, but keep going, let’s see the next round of absurdities. 😆

Is my chip big enough?

Someone has a different opinion, they must have a chip on their shoulder. How odd. Yet you aren’t even clear on what their view is. Which is odder.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Fresh lick of paint and everything is fine an dandy for the summer inspection, come winter and we discover the rads are too small to heat the room, the double glazing blew its seals and hasn’t worked for years, and yes, thank god it was a dry summer so the leaks didn’t appear until the cold, wet winter, but now they’re here. And yes, if work was needed the landlord suddenly became anreachable. Choose one or all.

Have you met my Landlady?

tjagain

Anyone want to be my tenant? got to find some new ones. Good landlord ( let below market value, prompt repairs, no petty deposit withholding)

Maybe I have been lucky but we have had zero problems in years of letting the flat out bar one person that left 3 months into a 6 month tenancy. I took her deposit as I specifically asked her before moving in and she assured me she would see the whole contract out.

I am a firm believer in “a good deal is one where both are happy” also letting below market value allows me to pick and choose as we get a queue of [potential tenants. IME computer geeks or east european dykes are the best tenants.

snax

I fell on hard times a few years ago. I couldn’t afford my rent, fuel for my car or much else. A client had disappeared owing me several months work. So I sat down with my landlord and we sorted out how I was going to pay my way. Going on holiday, would have been stupid, ignorant and wrong on every level.

Things have sorted out for the better these days, I’m still renting because not my wife’s work and mine mean we need/want to move relatively frequently. We’ve had good and bad landlords, but our current ones couldn’t be better. Everything is fixed as soon as we report it. The lady who owns the house lives abroad, she is in less than perfect health and in her 90’s – not everyone who is a landlord does it for the money or because as some seem to think, because they are evil. And, I for one am great full that people choose to be landlords.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m amazed so many bother, it sounds like a total head ache. Guess there must be a bit of money in it. Which is fine.

I’ve been a landlord for 20 years long before BTL was in vogue, never had any real hassle to speak of. Yep enough money in it for me to retire at 55.

easygirl

No sympathy for the tenant
    It’s not right that he owes you £800

BUT for all the stress and hassle it will take to get it back I would write it off, and forget about it , I’ve dealt with several if these for landlords and it is a long frustrating road

matt_outandabout

@snax – twice I’ve done similar with tenants. This is the pragmatic and responsible approach for both parties. Unlike the OP’s tenant it seems, and other trolls.

finbar
    Free Member

Well £800 is the best part of a couple of weeks work for me (or a jolly nice holiday of my own), so I’d be trying pretty hard to get it back…

matt_outandabout

I’m amazed so many bother, it sounds like a total head ache. Guess there must be a bit of money in it.

I would love to sell. However house house prices are still down and there are not enough folk able to buy or landlords keen to expand as capitalist kings. Fancy a 3 bed flat in Highland Perthshire for £120k?

mattsccm
    Free Member

“any one who can’t pay their rent gets my sympathy”
    S*** attitude.

kimi
    Free Member

“any one who can’t pay their rent gets my sympathy”
    S*** attitude.

yea your right.

Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Advice chasing someone for arrears’ is closed to new replies.