• This topic has 107 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by kimi.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Advice chasing someone for arrears
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Hi. I let out a house and the ex tenant didn’t pay for a few months, I went to an online no win no fee solicitor who have got all the details to serve him, but they say they can’t find out where he is or where he’s living. After months of not much happening and me paying for a search that was inconclusive to his whereabouts (even though I know where he works) they advised a few months ago to not proceed.

I’ve had loads on with a big job change, and now I’m sorted I’m wondering what to do about it.

Anyone any advice?

kimi
    Free Member

leave the poor bastard alone? just a thought.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Why would I do that? He didn’t pay his rent and smashed my house up.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Did he withhold rent because you weren’t doing something right? If so, do as kimi says.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

No, he broke up with his mrs and told her he would take over the payments, then didn’t pay anything.

woody2000

Lend me some money kimi, you know I’m good for it 🙄

OP – how much is it? My brother had a similar situation, wrote it off in the end for similar reasons. Fraught with stress for not much (if any gain). Bit crap really!

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

It’s not a hell of a lot, about £800. But it is stressful like you said.

kimi
    Free Member

any one who can’t pay their rent gets my sympathy.

Woody2000 how much do you need? (sounds like your brother arrived at the same point and could have saved all involved a lot of stress had he followed my advice.)

EDIT – especially for £800

holst
    Free Member

Think about it as a business decision. What are the chances of actually getting your money back? How much time, stress, and money will it cost you to pursue it? It’s pretty natural to be angry and want justice, but is it actually worth it when you add up the numbers?

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

He could pay his rent kimi. He booked a holiday, but you know best.

Know what you mean holst, feel like I’ve exhausted my options and was hoping someone might have another idea.

kimi
    Free Member

don’t get bogged down in the detail, life’s too short. i’d just forget it and move on.

tjagain

If you know where he works then surely you can get him? Small claims summons served on him at work, attachment of earnings to pay you.

However I wouldn’t spend an awful lot more time and money onit

binners

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve had a few clients not pay up in the past, you can claim it against your tax, which takes the edge off it a bit.

woody2000

Absolutely. But anyone who WON’T pay their rent is a different kettle of fish. My brother’s tenant simply decided he wasn’t going to pay, sounds like johnny’s is the same (don’t know the full ins and outs obviously).

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Exactly the same Woody. Wish I knew how to go about it, maybe it’s just best to cut my losses though.

johndoh
    Free Member

As above, a huge difference between ‘can’t’ and ‘won’t’.

matt_outandabout

Think about it as a business decision. What are the chances of actually getting your money back?

^This.

I have ex tenants that owe me £3.2k. It went to court where he had his butt kicked by the Sheriff for his attitude and lack of understanding of contract and thinking not paying for a house was acceptable. The mrs was more contrite.
    We had agreement for payment of half the bill – in £200 installments at the court.
    I had baliffs serve him, twice, as one payment was made and never again. Each service cost £280 and was added to the debt.
    Facebook stalking and speaking to others locally showed he had other debts, was on permanent dodge of anything of value that could be taken by bailiffs.
    We have given up – he is a scammer of the highest order, and I will not spend more time, money and stress on it.

matt_outandabout

As above, a huge difference between ‘can’t’ and ‘won’t’.

That depends on your view of “can’t”.
    My tenant that owes me earns more than me – yet claims he is skint….He goes on foreign holidays, as bailiffs cannot take them away.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Is this not one of the risks you accept when you become a Landlord? Just write it off in your business plan.

Won’t get much sympathy here when lots can’t afford to buy one house, never mind two and then charge increasingly unaffordable rents.

Buy to let has been a massive contributor to pushing house prices and therefore rents to ridiculous levels.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Moral issues aside for a moment, I’m afraid there’s not much you can do.

The legal process is weighted in favour of the Consumer / Individual against the Business, because usually it’s Mr. or Mrs. Joe Bloggs against Global Conglomerate Plc.

You can’t turn up where they work to even ask them nicely about it, that could be seen as harassment.

They don’t ‘serve’ people, they send them letters saying pay or else – the else is a court case which may end in a CCJ – when people are in the habit of doing a bunk their credit report is usually a mess anyway and it won’t phase them – you can take it to the high court who can enforce payment (see – can’t pay, we’ll take it away for a one-sided view of it).

I suspect your no win, no fee solicitors won’t want a high court case over £800 because even if they are awarded fees, they might not get paid.

Personally, as someone who spent a few years trying to force people to pay what they owe, with the backing of a large legal team, a budget and completely water-tight paperwork and paper trail proving they owe the money – I wouldn’t bother for £800, some people are arseholes.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I didn’t buy to let, I met someone with a house of their own and didn’t have any equity on mine. Love people jumping to conclusions and having a big opinion.

If it helps ease your stress wzzzz the mother and daughter that live in my house now I let for a massive discount after they had a really bad time with the husband/father, hope that’s okay with you.

kimi
    Free Member

i don’t think there’s a huge difference between can’t and won’t at this level… to be honest i have quite a lot of sympathy with those who simply won’t pay the rent… at this level. Presumably we aren’t talking about a wealthy individual here.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Muppet.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

‘at this level’

But if I don’t pay my mortgage a multi national will ruin me because it has the means to do so?

kimi
    Free Member

if you can’t afford to loose £800 i’d suggest your running a bit close to the wire.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Ha ha! You’re right, I hate being a train driver, our pay is terrible.

johndoh
    Free Member

if you can’t afford to loose £800 i’d suggest your running a bit close to the wire.

But if you can afford to lose it, it is okay for someone else to steal from you? Would you steal from Tesco because they made £xxxm last year so they can afford it?

I really do not understand the vitriol shown on here towards people who have (for whatever circumstance) happen to have more than one property. Take, for example the army guy who moved around lots but actually had a property of his own that he let out – he got some bad stick from some people for having the audacity to own a home that he let out.

(And no, I do not own two homes).

P-Jay
    Free Member

I can’t help but feel Jonny is being unfairly treated here – now if someone had sold him a bike which turned out to be “not as described” we’ve be all over it, because he dared be a landlord it basically GFY.

Gary_M
    Free Member

What are your thoughts on people that can pay, but just won’t? Thiefs?

OP could you not have taken that out the deposit or have you alreday done that?

kimi
    Free Member

there’s no vitriol, i just think its not the end of the world when someone without much money decides to go on holiday instead of pay a months rent.

The tennant has gone, which is good. He only owes £800 which is good. Landlord is never gonna get it back so save time, more money and stress and just forget about it.

He did ask for advice….

slackboy

i just think its not the end of the world when someone without much money decides to go on holiday instead of pay a months rent.

I hope your bank is that understanding

johndoh
    Free Member

i just think its not the end of the world when someone without much money decides to go on holiday instead of pay a months rent

That says more about you than the original post does about the author.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

he broke up with his mrs and told her he would take over the payments, then didn’t pay anything.

Well, you let him… for how many months?

I’d write it off to experience.

kimi
    Free Member

I’m fortunate enough to be able to pay for the roof over my head and go on holiday, but many aren’t.

binners

Who’s coming shoplifting?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Not me. Some of them are really heavy.

binners

Pfft!!! Amateur!

After I’ve done a few shops I’m going to have his other house off

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I can’t help but feel Jonny is being unfairly treated here – now if someone had sold him a bike which turned out to be “not as described” we’ve be all over it, because he dared be a landlord it basically GFY.

I have an ex-landlord who owes me a few quid for damage to my property as he couldn’t be arsed to do a simple repair which resulted in damage to my stuff. He can’t be arsed paying in me what he owes me either. He rides an expensive bike too, but he will be hearing from my solicitor. 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

I find it thrilling, but not that thrilling.

leave the poor bastard alone? just a thought.

I know the done thing is to pile in on landlords, but that is a pretty ballsy statement.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Advice chasing someone for arrears’ is closed to new replies.