• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Advice: changing axle on rear Pro2
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

I’ve watched the 18bikes strip/rebuild vid which makes sense.

I have a 10mm bolt in which I want to install instead of the QR in at the moment.

I have something that would work well to support the hub while bashing the axle out (70’s skateboard wheel :D) but don’t have drifts.

Are these really necessary? Has anyone managed without them?

MSP

You can get away with using sockets, but there not quite the right size, and the rounded edges on them exasperate the difference. I will be buying the correct stuff next time I need to replace the bearings.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

can do easily without apart from the drive side seal. The tools make it a 5 minute job though

mildred

Why do you need a drift, are you trying to change the bearings at the same time?

1) remove cassette
    2) remove end caps (I use either black & decker work mate, moll grips gently, or vice gently – i.e. firm enough to grip, but not firm enough to mark the ends)
    3) remove freehub body (twist & pull)
    4) put hub over suitable support – I use my b&d workmate
    5) using a rubberised mallet, tap axle out from freehub side – the rotor side bearing will also drift out, as will the green rubber seal
    6) put long end through workmate hole leaving bearing well supported and stubby end of axle showing
    7) gentle tap axle through so bearing is free

to re-fit is reverse of above.

If you really need to drift the bearing out, or for refitting the rotor side bearing to the new axle, most common socket sets will have a suitable sized socket. If you’re using a rubber mallet its usually ok. However, I usually just turn it over and use workmate as a support for the bearings. Obviously all at your own risk.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

what exactly are the bits of kit you need to buy? is everything available?

i just had mine done to 10mm form the lbs, only charged me about 3 quid for fitting 😆

but i still want to be able to do it myself….

any links to the full kits?

mildred

Hope’s website has a good video that helps with this.

druidh
    Free Member
    HermanShake
    Free Member

Thanks!

Lots of useful stuff here.

MSP

The bearings just pop out on the hope video, never seems quite so easy in reality.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Advice: changing axle on rear Pro2’ is closed to new replies.