Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Advice buying sub £1000 hardtail
  • dandansue
    Free Member

Any ideas? new to MTB but mates ride regularly on assorted bikes. I am relatively fit and will ride trail & XC- would like to capitalise on current sales.

Advice appreciated

indiajazz
    Free Member

orange p7 for an extra 74 smackers?ive had 3 and they ve been great,now awaiting the arrival of a soul though!!

neillys75
    Free Member

Merlin Malt or Rock Lobster?

KonaTC

Orange P7 at cyclesurgery £850

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

ON-ONE have some good deals on complete bikes, good spec too for the price.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I was looking at the boardman pro in halfords today while the mrs was buying a new roof box after smashing the last one into bits driving under a car park barrier.

Looked like a lot of bike for the £, light and fast.

indiajazz
    Free Member

that cycle surgery deal is great!

KonaTC

The Boardman Pro in Halfords for £1000 is a good deal. Both Singletrack and WMB gave it good reviews don’t pay too much attention to MBRs review. (something along the line the frame is too flexi, or some similar b@ll@cks, ho yes maybe it wasn’t a S…)
    Seriously thinking of getting one

dandansue
    Free Member

Thanks for replies- going to look in to suggested and test a few – any thoughts on kona kula deluxe 2009?

poppa
    Free Member

Just looked at the Kona Kula spec on Wiggle – looks pretty solid to me, if you can find it in your budget!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Kona_Kula_Deluxe_2009/5360039353/?referid=froogusa&source=googleps

MrNutt
    Free Member

p7 is a great bike, its the one I'd go for, or an mmmbop

drofluf
    Free Member

I've got a lightly used 2010 Rockhopper for sale £450 if you're interested

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

A little more but still a cracking deal. Scott Scale 35 for £1,200. (only medium)

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/bikes-5/hardtail-mountain-bikes-17/scott-scale-hardtail-mountain-bike-2010-21422.htm

Wharfedale
    Free Member

I think the LBS in skipton had Ragley Blue pigs built up for around that kind of money. Great bike!

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

New to Mountain Biking Riding? Have a dab at my Carrera Kraken on ebay…

Great first time bike – really good spec for the price, and gives you a chance to see if you enjoy MBR without spending a fortune. Eminently upgradeable frame too….

Item number 120611359550

reggiegasket
    Free Member

do a google for Genesis Altitude. The 10 is usually about a grand, I think.

toons
    Free Member

That kona gets a sound review on bikeradar

The new Orange 2011 Pure 7 HT is looking good for a £1k

dandansue
    Free Member

Alas, so much to choose from – on paper all great bikes with your choices I hadn't thought about.
    Test rides will decide!

meehaja
    Free Member

was going to say P7, but 4 people got there first.

I'll explain how this works. You're new to MTB, welcome, its grim out there. You want to buy a new bike, good times, this is like heroin. It feels so good at first, so you'll keep buying more and more gear that you probably don't need trying to catch that high again, but you never will. You'll stop riding and spend all your time on here reading and writing about riding. Then one sunny day you'll go for a ride on some rubbish local trails having just replaced your rusty chain or flat tyre and the buzz will come back, you'll feel it in your bones and it will be amazing, you'll then justify spending more and more money and talking more and more about bikes on here.

Or is it just me?

Orange P7 is a great bike and would be brilliant for someone starting out. It is a bit on the heavy side compared to alu bikes but you can't really feel it out on the trail. I'm undecided about the fork, its ok, but not as nice as my old All mountain SL's.. but I do like the lock out. Everything else on the S model is adequate, certainly no complaints. Nothing will "need" changing straight away and it should be a really enjoyable ride. Also, you can take all the gears off and run it as a singlespeed for greater forum respect.

flebby
    Free Member

i recently went for a malt 4 from merlin and even with some quite nice upgrade options such as a reba team fork, it still came out just under 1100squid at checkout with all their discounts etc..(i am assuming they're still doing the extra 10% off) and i'm well chuffed with it (i ride xc).

saying that i guess my choice was influenced as i've rode the same malt 1 (on and off) for the last 7 years (albeit adding a few blings along the way) and it has been great the whole time.

enjoy whatever you get.

dandansue
    Free Member

hit list so far

-2010 Orange P7 2010
    -2010 Orange crush
    -Merlin Malt 4
    -On One 456 carbon(over budget but having a look)
    -Kona Kula deluxe 2009
    -Ragley

Well that just about narrows it down!

Northwind

The P7 full builds aren't bad value but it's a big paperweight of a frame, way overweight for what it is. Rides OK to be fair but you should be able to find better. The Boardman HTs are stupidly good value but are pretty much XC bikes, you might want something stronger and longer travel but if not they're always worth checking out.

dandansue
    Free Member

Yes, I considered this about the P7, thats when the Orange crush caught my eye.
    I appreciate the feedback & advice

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Advice buying sub £1000 hardtail’ is closed to new replies.