Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Advice badly needed
  • stennah
    Free Member

I’m hoping for some advice I’ve got a Corsair Maelstrom with rear travel of 180mm I was thinking of putting a 150mm fork on it I do mostly singletrack and off roading nothing extreme and no drops would this be OK or would it mess up the geometry too much?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

thepodge
    Free Member

You could put an angleset on it which would help the front end geo a bit but it may be too much of a compromise

P-Jay
    Free Member

Hmmm, 150mm/170mm forks all sit in the 6″ bracket to me, and the axle to crown measurement is more important that the actual travel here.

Your frame would have originally had 170mm fork so it probably won’t be terrible, not great though.

stennah
    Free Member

I’ve got 160mm domains on it at the moment which rides brilliantly was thinking it’s only 10mm less but thanks for replying I’m more torn with what to do than before, cheers

honourablegeorge

stennah – Member
    I’ve got 160mm domains on it at the moment which rides brilliantly was thinking it’s only 10mm less

10mm less travel, but 150mm forks ar eusually a smaller chassis, so there may be a much larger difference in length

stennah
    Free Member

Cheers lads look like the Domain’s are here to stay, thanks again for replying much appreciated

DickBarton

Is there need for all that travel at the rear for that kind of riding? I’m saying that as your description isn’t sounding too extreme as in downhill-type big air and plenty rock gardens type stuff. Can you reduce the rear travel as well and it won’t seem so imbalanced? Suspect the travel difference isn’t going to be massively noticeable really whilst riding…but is the frame intended for similar travel fork? If so, will the geometry be affected by reducing it by 30mm?

stennah
    Free Member

Without sounding daft how do I reduce the rear travel I’ve only ever had hardtails the corsair maelstrom frame and shock came up for £200 and I couldn’t resist I’m really wanting to know what’s best for my riding my LBS are not much help ,ta

rickon
    Free Member

That’s a big old bike for some singletrack and not smashing big jumps or drops.

It really depends on what and where you’re riding, but the middle ground would be a trail bike. With around 140mm of travel both ends.

If you wanna go cheap, the Calibur Bossnut would be an ideal first full sus. Theny you’re looking at something for Canyon, like a Spectral.

If you can say what kind of riding and where you’re riding, the guys on here can help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Advice badly needed’ is closed to new replies.