Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Advice about petrol jet washers?
  • dingabell
    Free Member

Hi there.
    I’m thinking about buying a petrol jet washer for cleaning patios etc. I’m a bit unsure as to how much bar would be needed to do a good job with maybe a rotary cleaner attachment. Can you adjust the water pressure on some of them? The semi decent ones seem to be around the £450 mark, but was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to makes/models which they rate? Many thanks.

100mphplus
    Free Member

I have had two Lavor Independent 1900 petrol jet washers over the past 6 years, (first one got nicked after 4 years of trouble free use), and they are more than man enough for jet washing.

I use it for manily cleaning my bikes but last month I went and leant a pair of wheels against the fence to clean and it took the paint off the fence, leaving two nice round bare wood stains! So it has some power to it.

You can vary the pressure / jet shape at the nozzle. When I use it on the drive I first spray cleaner on, brush with a stiff yard brush and then jet wash off and bringd up spotless every time.

Only costs £250 ish and quite a small unit too for storage.

dingabell
    Free Member

Sounds good. Do you have any idea how much petrol these things get through in an hour?

busydog
    Free Member

I’m in the USA, and have a Troy-Bilt gas power washer (don’t know if those are sold in the UK or not), with multiple nozzles and it’s maximum power is 2700 psi. One of the attachments is a rotary cleaner for patios, driveways, etc. and it is ace for that kind of task.
    You have to be a little careful when you first use them. I was cleaning some paint marks off my driveway and used the maximum power nozzle and peeled the top/smooth coat right off the concrete. Don’t recommend using them barefooted.
    They are also great for cleaning barbecue grill grates.
    Edit–it doesn’t use a lot of gas. tank holds maybe 2 pints and I didn’t use the entire tank full while cleaning my patio (about 30 minutes)

dingabell
    Free Member

Thanks busydog. Haven’t seen the Troy Bilt ones over here in the UK but interesting they don’t use too much petrol.
    Would definitely need a rotary attachment I think, to cover a larger area quicker.

busydog
    Free Member

the one I have idles really slowly until you trigger the sprayer and it ramps the motor up, then when you release the trigger, it idles down immediately, so helps with the gas use.
    The rotary attachment I have is about a foot wide with 2 jets on the end of a rotating arm. It doesn’t have the power of the high-pressure nozzle, but it was enough to clean off old, decaying sealer on the deck so I could then reseal.
    Friend of mine has a commercial one with a 3000+ psi rating rating and managed to take the paint off the fender of his pickup when trying to get dried mud off from beneath the wheel wells

almightydutch
    Free Member

Make sure you get a Honda engine, the thing will last for years then.

dingabell
    Free Member

Classic! Better not try to clean the van with one then.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Advice about petrol jet washers?’ is closed to new replies.