• This topic has 32 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Advice about keeping a Border Terrier please.
  • steelfan
    Free Member

Partner and I are thing about getting a dog and I quite fancy a Border Terrier. We both work full time but it is possible for us to take it to work but we may have to leave it at home some days. We have a fairly small house with a garden, park close by and some lovely countryside not to far away. What are they like to keep and what are your experiences good or bad?

Drac

Brilliant dogs, full of character and mischief. They will walk all day long and never tire but will happily just go for a small jaunt. Great with kids as they love to play and like attention, they can be stubborn and if they get in their head they just won’t listed no matter what. Intelligent little buggers too will work things out to get tom something they want and will never give up until they do. They quite happy to wait at home whilst at work but they much prefer everyone being home.

Pudsey Border by Lee Collis, on Flickr

darrell
    Free Member

what he said

but my border is home alone every work day and its really no problem

the-muffin-man

+1 on what Drac says

They are very ‘flexible’ dogs – mine comes to work with me, but is equally happy if he’s left for a 5+ hours.

They can sometime be a pain on a walk – ours in a sniffing, peeing machine – so lurches forwards and backwards when on the lead! Ours is fine with other animals and I can walk him off the lead through a field of sheep or cows with no problems.

Drac

Wish mine was Ok with sheep, I found out after a week after I adopted him he wasn’t.

darrell
    Free Member

mine seems fine with sheep but i wouldnt ever let him off his lead near them cause here in Norway the farmers will just shoot any dog (that isnt theirs) that gets near to their animals

seems to have a thing about deers though

Drac

They shoot them here too that was the problem as well as it worries the sheep, he was just chasing them playfully but they’d still shoot him. Massively embarrassing for a Shepherd’s grandson.

Gorehound
    Free Member

Don’t forget what they were bred for!

steelfan
    Free Member

Cheers for the info. I was concerned about the times we may have to leave it at home but it sounds like it may be ok. Do any of you let yours have access to the garden during the day when its left on its own? We have a small office space attached to the back of the house that I was thinking about fitting a dog flap to. Do you think this is a good idea? I’ve read stories about BT’s being good climbers and getting over fences!

Drac

I can’t leave our door open as Jake has a grass allergy and yeah they will climb, dig, jump or whatever takes to get at something. That said I’ve seen Labradors climb trees to get pheasants that have been shot.

the-muffin-man

Ours is always locked in when he’s on his own.

julioflo
    Free Member

Exactly what everyone else said.
    Adding to that ours (Gylly, almost 2) has extraordinary GPS abilities. You only have to take him somewhere once and that’s it, it’s been logged. Then if he likes that place and you are anywhere near it again, the Border stubborness will see him pull, stop, sit down, lie down, anything possible to get him to that destination.

You and your partner sound exactly like my wife and I about 2 years ago, similar description of house/garden and work commitments. Gylly comes to work with us everyday and sits in our van. We are lucky enough that if it is too hot in the van he can come into the office, albeit tied to my desk. But also doesn’t mind being left at home for a few hours either. Also we are lucky enough to be able to send him to a local dog trainer who does ‘Dog Day Care’ twice a week. He goes one a week (a tenner) as much for him to have a mess around with his mates as anything else. The big plus point is that when he comes home he is absolutely knackered.

Ok I will shut up now.

Such awesome dogs, such character, fit whilst being lazy, clever yet stubborn. You have to be stern with them and stick to your guns when training them.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Such awesome dogs, such character, fit whilst being lazy, clever yet stubborn. You have to be stern with them and stick to your guns when training them.

Couldn’t agree more. I sometimes look at Molly and wonder what I did before having her. 🙄

If you dish out a bit of tough love when it’s a puppy, you can have an obedient dog that will follow you anywhere but has oodles of character and is great fun.

Anyone else find that theirs doesn’t really like a bit of shwimmin? Molly will swim if she’s put in but won’t really go any further than belly deep…even if her favourite ball is floating in there. 😆

kerv
    Free Member

IMG_1503_1 by Kerv F, on Flickr
    This is Zero. He’s 5 years old now and a fantastic dog. Not great with other dogs though! The only down side is he has fits and it’s something that you need to be aware of with BT’s.

banks
    Free Member

Got a Jack Russell/boarder Terrier cross. Absolutely mental, refuses to be showered & goes on the war path when he’s been released – hell bent on getting filthy & ripping the towel to shreds! Quite happy to be walked all day in whatever weather – except really hot/humid weather, a rarity however. Also, only ever used a lead with him with sheep & cows just in case, he’ll even wait for cars to cross roads. He likes his sleep, he’s left alone 6hours in the week, he just sleeps & hunts out his hidden food. Dogs of two halfs really

banks
    Free Member

+1 couldn’t give a shit about swimming & they are so stubborn/determined he’ll run until passes out

julioflo
    Free Member

OKay, so as this is rapidly becoming a Border T love in, I can’t resist posting some pics of Gylly!

Deadly, Molly’s a little tacker isn’t she?! Very cute. Regarding the swimming – haven’t had any problems with Gylly, he seems to enjoy swimming. However, prefers to wade in from the shallows rather than launch of a bank and doesn’t like waves at the beach much.

[url=http://getfile7.posterous.com/getfile/files.posterous.com/floydblog/SzW382d0fWJDTs56eOLREKj9ZgpRhgPFUvqme14WNZf5PzafxdhkifIBVxts/gflo_on_beach_2.jpg.scaled.1000.jpg]null[/url]

steelfan
    Free Member

Cracking Photos! Mrs will love these when she gets home.

olii
    Free Member

Everything said sounds pretty like mine too…
    Happy to do whatever really, either stay in or go on an epic. Spud hates swimming too, maybe that’s a Border trait? He does get a bit itchy in the summer with some grasses, but nothing too bad. He’s fine around other dogs and people, and often completely ignores them when out on a walk. He’s great with kids too and puts up with anything like being poked or having his tail pulled.
    He’s 10 now and will still go on a 10 mile+ ride as long as I don’t go too fast along fire roads. He always catches up on the hills anyway!

Ps: Drac, is yours wearing some fluffy ears there? We’ve got some reindeer ears with a flashing nose for Spud…

Drac

I’ve had Border Terrier since I was about 7, I’ve a copy of a book about then was first published decades ago by an old breeder of them. She claims they love to swim, my last one didn’t mind at first then hated it. Jake barely can swim and hates water going any high than touching his belly.

He’s wearing Pudsey bear ears but wan’t too happy about it.

julioflo have you stole my dog?

Jake runs by Lee Collis, on Flickr

Boing boing Jake. by Lee Collis, on Flickr

Winter 2010 Nov 26th by Lee Collis, on Flickr

julioflo
    Free Member

Drac, I hope not? Bro’s maybe? Gylly is from Cornwall, where is Jake from?

tonyg2003

They are great dogs but they can be quite stroppy with other dogs/animals! Ours are OK left all day occasionally but now they are getting on, one of our neighbours comes in to let them out at lunchtime.

The other thing about them (and some other terrier breeds) is that they are robust with no major medical issues. Ours are 15 now and one has just developed diabetes but otherwise we haven’t had any vetinary issues with them.

bones76
    Free Member

I have two full blown Borders and a 1 year old Border crossed with a Long haired Jack Russell, all three are great dogs and are all different in there own way, the older two used to get worked but are now more like pets but still live outdoors and the pup is now my running partner and i can’t tire him out, he also loves to go swimming, but thats because i have had him doing it since about 7 months old, he loves it, but the other two don’t and won’t really go anywhere near the water, all in all i would say that as pet they are great dogs but like most they need attention and lots of good walks and time spent getting the dog you want, I.E swimming, running etc…

stavromuller
    Free Member

C’mon Bones, pictures needed

nickhart
    Free Member

Great dogs, yes to being very flexible, ours is stupidly fit and runs with lurchers when our dog walker comes when we’re both out. (wife works shifts so can be ten hours alone) he’s brilliant with the kids properly OCD when he has a ball, plays with most other dogs, runs with me and the wife, runs alongside the bike, is an absolute b*gger with sheep, swims like an otter including diving down for stones!btravels really well in his box in the car.
    Down sides are few, bit yappy at times, stubborn like a terrier suggests, doesn’t always go out to do his business. (no rhyme or reason for this one, the other morning I let him out and after he came back in sat and crapped on the carpet in front of me! Not happy).
    All in all cracking dogs, very affectionate and really good fun, oh and you only need small poo bags. The guy who trims him says he’s like a real dog but smaller!

Drac

Jake is a Geordie Border Juliofolio but they have the same strain in you can
    see that. I bet yours has Dandy How in his line.

Jake has proved the stubbornness this am bolting out the door when I was talking to the postman and off down the street taking no notice of me. Had to get in the car after him as I had no shoes or socks on.

steelfan
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice. We just need to decide if we should get a puppy or a older rescue dog. I would prefer to go for an older rescue dog but I have concerns that if it has any bad habits it may be harder to train. What does everyone think?

Vortexracing

they are great, Archie is fantastic with the kids, and we leave him in the house sometimes, he is no problem.

We got ours as a puppy

IMGP0503 by eastham_david, on Flickr

great dogs

DSCF0108 by eastham_david, on Flickr

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

We have a 7year old BT bitch called Meghan. She’s like having a big dog, but in a little dogs body. I have to say she’s a lazy madam and would rather sleep and or play than go for a walk. If it’s raining, then you’ve got no chance. Bitches are a lot smaller than dogs, so bear that in mind when you’re looking. She’s great with strangers and kids and sheep. But she is a bit fisty when it comes to other dogs and she will happily take on dogs three times her own size and has been know to swallow her prey whole! Would have have another in a heart beat.

Wharfedale
    Free Member

You need to be VERY careful with border terriers. There is a IMHO a larger than normal percentage that are overly aggressive to other dogs. We have two in our village (kept by different owners) that have to be kept away from all dogs due to agression issues. One of the owners runs several gun dogs so is well up on discipline, training etc the agression issues aren’t just how the dog has be treated/trained. He can’t even let the BT near his labs.

Our greyhound also had a very nasty run in with a border terrier that was off its lead while we were away on holiday. Results below after surgery. golf ball sized hole.

Emergency surgery (massive amount of stress in having a 10 1/2 year old dog with heart problems operated on), holiday ruined after one day, had to return home.

I know my point of view is tainted but it does balance all the cute pictures people post of their dogs. Also irrelevant to breed unless you have a dog run, kennel etc no dog should be left on its own 7-8 hours a day.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Dottie is now 18 months old and she is as most others have described. She’s very good with other dogs and has never showed any aggression towards other dogs. When she meets new dogs she is very submissive until she’s sussed them out then it’s play, play, play! There are a couple that she hasn’t taken to but she just avoids them. She’s been going to dog club since she was 3 months old so is now very much used to all types of breeds.

She can be very stubborn and when she has her nose in bushes you know she won’t be listening to you so recall can be a challenge sometimes.

We leave her on her own but usually no more the about 5 hours and she seems fine but you need to get it used to being on it’s own from an early age to avoid possible separation anxiety.

Other than that they are THE BEST DOGS EVER!! 😀

Crap camera phone images.

brassneck

One of the owners runs several gun dogs so is well up on discipline, training etc the agression issues aren’t just how the dog has be treated/trained.

Think you can expand that to most ‘issues’ – we have a cross, but she is just a mentalist on occasion – you can see it happen, the blinkers go down and she’s off. Disappeared for 6 days once and recovered (by us searching) from the same area. Has the same problem with sheep as Drac’s – she wants to play, but is liable to get herself shot doing so.
    She spends more time on a long lead than we’d like now, but it’s hard to rebuild that trust after being ignored when called so many times.
    Absolutely fine around home territory though, will come on call, sit stay etc. It’s odd.

Drac

Well I’ve owned Borders since I was 8 years old. Back then people barely knew what kind of breed they were especially outside Northumberland. All have been lovely with no aggression, however none of them will be bullied by any dog being agressive to them they fend them off and teach them who’s boss. The bigger or more there are the fairer the challenge they seem to see it as.

Jake is rehomed dog. He’s been with us just coming up 2 years and is happy to learn. We’ve taught him new things, the last one being to leave things. Breaking a 4 year habit took about 5 hours or of clear instructions with reward. Ok he proved the stubborn side yesterday choosing to swallow a bouncy ball rather than leave it but overall he leaves them. Even can get him to do it with food.

When he first came he was unsure of the kids as he’d never been introduced to many. Took him a few weeks to get use and loves them. Like any dog I’d never trust 100% they’re still an animal at the end of the day.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Advice about keeping a Border Terrier please.’ is closed to new replies.