Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Adventure X (long distance CX'er events) 2015
  • Nipper99
    Free Member

I was not expecting anything other than gravel roads, not a mtb event after all – were you on a mtb or cx. Why was the event cancelled?

psychotext
    Free Member

It’s not an MTB event, but all the same, Monster Miles had tons of really good descents on grass, mud and even a few rock chutes. A significant quantity of singletrack too. This had about 50 meters worth of singletrack, and I suspect that was because I’d taken a more direct route than they had intended. Monster miles also had a couple of technical climbs, which this was completely lacking in (unless you count the rocky fireroad that’s part of Afan’s Blue Scar).

No idea why it was cancelled, though I suspect it was because there’s a locked gate on the route that they may have not had permission to open (we had to carry over).

Pyro

Grizedale Grizzly’s back on, on the 12th of July for anyone that’s interested.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    robcolliver
    Free Member

There is an underground event this weekend, only one entrant so far…. South Downs Way Double Double. Come out and watch, come out and ride a bit – just bring food, Red bull and machsticks. Approx 50 hours in the saddle and 40,000 feet of climbing.

Free to enter too.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Best of luck with SDW x2 thingy.. I may come over to watch but catching you along that route will be very difficult indeed.

All the best.

As for me, I’ve not done a long CX event for a little while. Shame that Afan thingy wasn’t upto much. I agree that CX’er are fit for anything MTB’s can do except the rocky decents, even then we’d just get off and carry the thing down which in itself is quite fun.
    Fire roads I like but again they can be dull, best to try and get an event that switches on/off these over the course, fine if yo have to do a mile or two but even then thats a long time on the big ring slogging it.

I shall be seeking out some long CX rides soon.. I have the Grand Union Canal to do later this week, then a mate who wants us to do a two day event with an overnight stop somewhere nice.. Looking for inspiration on that, thinking Dartmoor ATM or Exmoor… we’ll see.

I’m not doing Wiggle SDW 100, don’t fancy mixing it up with a whole load of walkers, families and horse riders and possibly 100 blokes on bikes hacking it.. just too much angst I feel. I may pop on over to see the event ride over Harting Way then peel off and have fun in the Downs.

If anyone has an event they think would suit it would be good to hear from you.
    8)

brassneck

Looking for inspiration on that, thinking Dartmoor ATM or Exmoor… we’ll see.

Do both!
    Lynmouth (no cheating and starting on top at Lynton, tyres in the sea both ends) to Start Point is on my agenda for this year. Definitely at least two days though, ideally with a warm mid Devon pub for the night, I don’t do hardship unless there’s no choice :-). Probably doable in a long day for the committed.

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ Thats sounds great.. Route sorted ? care to share ? I can come up with one easily enough but nice to have some local knowledge.
    Hotels for us, think a bit like “The Trip” and you have us down to a T.

DrP

If you want a really great route for ‘adventure Cx’, I’d suggest getting the train from HAnts out to Dorchester (Or Bridport), and simply riding the NCN route 2 back…
    I’t stunning, passes through lovely towns and countryside, and has several ferries on the route!

You might remember I rode all the way from Plymouth a year or so ago, but always thought the final day (Bridport to Worthing) would make a great ‘unloaded’ ride too’.
    You could finish by Hayling, as the ;ast leg is simply road.

It’s got lovely sections through the new forest and some of the purbeck woods!

DrP

brassneck

Was picking through OS maps and (I think) Aidan Harding posted something similar, an offroad coast to coast avoiding the more obvious Tarka Ttail / Granite Way options.. I probably got the link from one of your threads in fact! All felt tip pen at the moment but if I get something workable I’ll post it for local critique.

I spend a fair bit of time round there, but I’m more local to you than there (N. Hants) – that Wessex Way route goes within a mile or two of my house, and thats another thought for a weekend, WSM to home.

kilo

Has anyone managed to get the supplied Peak District Pioneer gpx file to work? Doesn’t seem to want to play ball.

boxelder

Would anyone be up for a 200km, single loop gravel ‘race’. They happen elsewhere, so just interested whether long non-tech off road has demand in the UK?

dknwhy

@boxelder – yes!

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

yep, for sure if it is in off season (Oct-Feb)

disco_stu
    Free Member

So like a gravelly audax?

Stainypants

kilo

I’ve got it working in memory map and on my phone what software you using

bikebouy
    Free Member

disco_stu – Member
    POSTED 12 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Yeah, like he said?

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

disco_stu – Member

Sounds good, count me in 🙂

boxelder

More like a spring time ‘gravel’ marathon.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

If it was Borderish then I might be tempted and know a few other CX types who might too…so long as there was no silly minimum tyre size rules

Metasequoia

….maximum tyre size rules- do some events specify UCI cx width only?

RestlessNative
    Free Member

No I said minumum, I looked at Kielder 101 event but I can’t fit a 40mm in the back of my CX.

Anyone else doing the Galloway Gallop in September?

Stainypants

Have dilemma which bike for this. Was planning for it to be my last ride on my cross bike but went out on my rigid scandal last night and really enjoyed it. Given the weather looks awful and my mates will be on MTB. Would I be better on the Scandal

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Adventure X (long distance CX'er events) 2015’ is closed to new replies.