Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Adventure X (long distance CX'er events) 2015
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Having done a few last year thought I’d share the dates for these excellent events.

Moors & Shores – 12/04/15 (Dalby Forest)
    Afan Avenger – 10/05/2015 (Afan)
    Peak District Pioneer – 26/07/2015 (Bakewell)
    Galloway Gallop – 20/09/2015 (Kirroughtree)
    Lakeland Monster – 04/10/2015 (Keswick)

Well I’ve booked my events and you’ll see me hacking along on the TCX..

WooHoo!

ton

fancy some stuff like that. strip me old surly down and clog on.

GHill

I hadn’t heard about the Peak District Pioneer one (thinking of doing the Lakeland Monster), thanks for sharing.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well me neither (PDPioneer one) last year they did one in Grizedale, that’s not in this years so would suggest this caters for the Peak District area, which is excellent.

Wheres Pook? He does the pootle around that area no?

Just to enlighten some..

My first events on the CX’er last year and have to say the event management was first class.. GPX files if you needed them, signage more than adequate throughout though, excellent atmosphere, great riding buddies (make em’ as you ride along) totally fantastic venues.
    I did mine on the TCX CX’er and it was perfect for the job, a fair good number did it on their XC hardtails and they too were perfect, some on fullsuss (did’t honestly see that many except on a couple of steep(ish) downhill sections.
    Tyres – Griffos which were again perfect
    Tools – well i took a camelpac for the Lakeland Monster and it was too much, it can be done with bottles and some stuff in your jersey pockets (which I did for the following event) and that was perfect.

Of course theres lots in here in the forum that was an event preview/synopsis/post ride chat, take a look.

Absolute hoot they’ve been and really looking forward to the next events.

😀

nedrapier

Charlie Bikemonger’s Dorset Gravel Dash 100 was good last year. Might be worht keeping an eye out for 2015 if he does it again.

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ oohhh good call !!

I’m missed that last year due to SRAM’s bloody brake recall 😈

wwaswas

There’s an ‘SDW in a day’ CX Sportive on the July 4th. No suspension, 40mm or less tyres.

thomthumb
    Free Member

wessex 150:

150 miles in the kingdom of wessex. 😉

longest day of the year.

reubena
    Free Member

Why do you have to be over 16 to do these i can race DH which is much much more dangerous but not a andveture X?

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ SDW in the diary 😉

^^ The Wessex 150 I’m gonna check out, I did the Wesex Ridgeway early Nov and over 2 days cos it was a bit of a chillax rideout.. 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ no idea, only spotted that on the Peaks advert too… 😐

shedbrewed
    Free Member

SDW? Enlighten me, please?

monkeychild
    Free Member

South Downs Way

kilo

Peak District one looks interesting and looks relatively easy to get to from London, would’ve done the Afan one but mtb’ing in RSA that week 😀

What`s bakewell like for a weekend away?

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Thanks monkeychild

benji
    Free Member

I’ll see you on the Moors and Shores, I’m riding and running with a Niner RLT running it singlespeed so should be an interesting adventure.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Liking the look of some of these , cheers for the heads up 🙂

DrP

I’m sure the “DrP brighton-London-brighton” jaunt will take place again this year too 😉

DrP

tobymc

*agrees with the dr*

DrP

Yay…. 🙂

DrP

boxelder

3 Peaks CX is a monster X sportive for most and has to be the best.
    The Pennine BW from Kirkby Stephen to Helwith Bridge is a good day out on a CX, using the train to get back or start.

paul4stones

3 peaks cx is a race dammit.

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ Ive been considering the Pennine BW, shall research this more. I expect I’ll link it up with a 2 day ride/overnight stop.. You know cos’ I fancy that.. Cheers for the pointer.

Glad to see DrP’s BLB is back in scope, this I had to mist on last year due to the bloody SRAM debacle but if I can be fitted in then I’d really love to do this.

The SDW I’ve done to death, think I need to take a break from this now. I’ve done it 7 times in the last 2.5 months just because I’ve had the opportunity and it’s a great training ground for other events I’m planning. From me it’s just a 20 min ride to a start point 8miles in from the start (at Winny) then just hideout the rest, to be honest I’ve stopped at Brighton and caught the train home twice, which stops at a station just 10mins up the road from me..
    It’s a great ride and holding up well considering all the rain we’ve had. I’d recommend anyone hacking out on it at the moment, plenty of bailout points close to train stations if you need them.

Spud

Might have a crack at the Lakeland Monster again, well I say again, didn’t get to ride last year as I buggered my back royally the week before.

psychotext
    Free Member

I’m on Afan Avenger this year. Still have painful memories from Monster Miles a couple of years ago.

Anyone know where I can get the up to date GPX files for the route? I found some online, but I don’t know if it’s this year’s route.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohh thread resurrection !

Well ^^ nope no idea, tried Strava?

As for events to date, well I did the South Downs CX thingy Stinger in March and did rather well in it, great route, planned well, rode hard.. Duncton area and the GPX file is on Strava if anyones interested in riding it one day..

Bailed out on the last event they ran, the Cranliegh Gravel thingy.. same day as P-R so that put a stop to that.. fancy holding it on P-R day 😆

I’ve done the STW 4 times since Feb and almost made up the slower sections to average out my attempt at a one day blast.. Coming along nicely, dry and running fast at the moment if anyones interested in riding the STW.

Only road rides planned for the next couple of months, DrP’s IOW tour and his B-L-B thingy too..

Suns out, looking great out there 8)

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I’m considering building up a Planet X London Road this year so I can have a go at some of these Adventure Cross events.

They look like they have a good level of challenge for someone like me who’ll never be a good Enduro/DH rider but likes hills, bridleways, etc

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well each one I’ve ridden in has been really friendly and a superb variety of course/terrain.

Think back to when you used to ride for pleasure and a giggle.. That’s what these are.

steve73
    Free Member

I have entered the peak district event also and will be riding my TCX SLR1 with stock tyres. Rode the HONK on it last weekend and now looking forward to some more events.

psychotext
    Free Member

Well ^^ nope no idea, tried Strava?

I got them from here: http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/NTQyMjk=

But like I said, I have no idea if that’s going to be this year’s event or not.

psychotext
    Free Member

Bollocks. Just got an email saying Afan Avenger is cancelled. 🙁

bikebouy
    Free Member

🙁 indeed.

You could ride it on your own or with a Mate.. 😀

psychotext
    Free Member

I’m considering it, but I’m wondering if there may be a problem with part of the route. The reason they gave for cancelling it wasn’t exactly descriptive.

Nipper99
    Free Member

You can do a great gravel loop around Afan – or even an out and back to the pub at Llanwonno along the high-level sustrans route is a good day out. Its just down the road from here – if you want a ride out let me know.

Don’t forget Crossmountain in November – last years event was excellent.

psychotext
    Free Member

I do Afan (and Glyncorrwg) from time to time, but there’s a ton of it I’ve never touched. All virgin territory to be looked forward to.

Haven’t heard of Crossmountain. Will have to look it up.

senorj

The Lakeland monster , really is that.I would want plenty of gears. 😉
    I’m tempted by the Peaks one and….
    The Soltice 100 looks interesting – I just need a gprs as it’s not fully waymarked. Don’t know if I could trust viewranger on my phone for 100 mile….

Events

Edric64
    Free Member

Echo comment above the 3peaks CX is a race not a bloomin sportive (spits in disgust )

Houns

Tour de Black Country

psychotext
    Free Member

Bah, did the Afan Avenger route today, was awful. 95% fireroad, just pure tedium. Only two descents of note, which is bizarre given you’re smack back in the middle of all the trails that come off Glyncorrwg and Afan. They could have even included Blue Scar as you passed the start of it and the end of it… and it’s nothing beyond what a CX is capable of handling.

Glad I didn’t end up paying for it in the end.

mendippete
    Free Member

This is new for 2015 looks good fun
    http://flanrou.com/

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Adventure X (long distance CX'er events) 2015’ is closed to new replies.