Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • "Adventure" bike that can take 50c tyres
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Does it exist?

scud
    Free Member

I think that once you start talking about a 2 inch tyre, then you are looking at bikes like Salsa Fargo, Genesis Vagabond etc, essentially drop bar 29ers, i presume you mean in 700c wheel size?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What Scud said. Although isn’t the Fargo 650b+ this year?

Salsa Fargo
    Genesis Vagabond
    Singular Gryphon

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    1-shed
    Free Member

Velo orange piolet
    Koga beach racer
    Bombtrack beyond

benp1

Yeah, sounds like a rigid MTB!

fifeandy
    Free Member

Mason Bokeh

Thinking about one of these myself with 2 sets of wheels – 700×28-32c slicks for audaxing, and 650bx2.0 for everything else.

Although once getting a 2nd set of wheels anyway may as well go the whole hog and have them attached to a Definition

whitestone
    Free Member

Looks like the Singular Gryphon has been dropped from their range and there’s now just the Swift.

ElShalimo

Marin Four Corners

molgrips
    Free Member

The Vagabond looks fantastic…. I was asking for a mate, but I fancy one of those myself.

dovebiker

Open Up too – seems that the answer to 2″ tyres is to fit 650B wheels rather than go up to 29×2″.
    If you want the latter, going down a size on a suitable 29er MTB frame might be an option, but then you have the issue of overly long forks, or running a shorter 26″ rigid fork and factoring in the resultant steepening of HTA.
    I’m tempted to build one myself, but would go for a custom ti frame from China as it would probably work-out cheaper than buying a stock steel frame.

fifeandy
    Free Member

The Vagabond looks fantastic

Where’s the vomit emojii when you need it?

Tall headtube, skinwall tyres and a ‘pleased to see you’ stem.
    Any one of those is a terrible sin, but all 3 on one bike is taking wrong to whole new levels.

molgrips
    Free Member

The chap in question would only really be tempted by a complete bike around 1-1.5k I reckon. He’s riding around his old 26er hardtail Kona, and he loves fat tyres and disc brakes. So I’m trying to persudae him to get something modern 🙂

rollodes
    Free Member

Kona Sutra Ltd

epicyclo

dovebiker – Member
    … suitable 29er MTB frame might be an option, but then you have the issue of overly long forks, or running a shorter 26″ rigid fork and factoring in the resultant steepening of HTA.

The older 29ers may be best for this. Steeper HAs, and work nicely on road or off. I’ve converted the following:
    On-One Scandal
    Kona 29er with sliders (Scandium one)
    Ragley TD-1
    Avanti KISS 29er

molgrips
    Free Member

The older 29ers may be best for this. Steeper HAs

I was going to say El Mariachi for a 29er with 71 HA but they don’t make it any more!

lotto
    Free Member

Shand Stoater/Stooshie.

tmb467
    Free Member

Mainstream and some reckon it looks rank but the Giant Revolt fits that bill

soulwood
    Free Member

Spesh awol can take ground controls in 1.9 or 2.1 width I think. Is that 50 mm?

RustySpanner

Yep, AWOL takes 50mm tyres.
    As does the 26″ Trucker.

The 2016 Marin is really good value ATM.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Soma Wolverine looks lovely

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Spesh AWOL is great, I’ve just bought the 1×11 Comp with 1.9in Ground Controls and it’s quick enough on road, really smooth on gravel and surprisingly good on singletrack etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

I wonder if I can buy a frame and fit the gear of my 2007 XC race bike on it? It has Shimano discs, they might work with the road hydro calipers.. I could rebuild the wheels…

ton

Bombtrack hook ext. just got a price for a rare xl frame 😯

Malvern Rider
    Free Member
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘"Adventure" bike that can take 50c tyres’ is closed to new replies.