Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Advantages Of 142mm x 12 Over 135mm x 12?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

confused really, i can obviously see the massive benefit of 135mm x12 over a 9mm rear QR, but what on earth is the difference from 142mm vs 135mm in the same 12mm?

ive missed something here as most bikes are now doing a 142mm rear end and i have no idea why!

genuinely intrugied as to why!

chakaping
    Free Member

much easier to get the axle in and out IME

135×12 you have to hold the wheel in place as you push axle through and get it to “bite” in the thread on your frame

on 142×12 bikes the wheel rests in the right position in the dropouts

Northwind

142 locates into the frame doesn’t it? Whereas 135 often has no locators because there’s not a standard, so it can be a pain to get the axle in. (was a total pain on my herb)

rocketman
    Free Member

Must admit 135×12 is kind of tricky on my Scott Voltage. I have to support the wheel and when it’s correctly aligned the axle goes in and out easily but just a fraction off and it won’t budge.

And the bike is upside down while I do it

roverpig

Yes, there may be a marginal increase in stiffness, but as far as I can tell the main advantage of 142×12 is getting the wheel back in. Mind you I had a few goes at removing and replacing the 135×12 rear wheel when I had a test of an Orange Gyro recently and it wasn’t actually that hard. I guess 142×12 would save a few seconds, but it wasn’t as if the 135×12 was impossible. It just took a couple of extra wiggles to get everything to line up. Since I don’t puncture that often and even when I do I rarely have to remove the wheel (tubeless repair kit) I don’t think I’d be bothered by the difference to be honest.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ahh righty so it seems like it may be slightly stiffer, but the big thing is getting the wheel back in

i must admit i do find my 135mm x 12mm a bit tricky locating the thread in the opposite side, not a biggie as i dont take the rear wheel out often, but it would be better if it was easier!

so are the 135mm interchangeable to 142mm? basically can i make my hope pro 2 evo into a 142mm or is it the frame thats the issue?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

also i guess if the wheel always sits in it slot on the 142mm i guess once you have the wheel/brake centralised it cannot ever go slightly out of position, so the wheel will always run free after taking it out….something QR and im guessing 135mm dont currently offer as they can be marginally out of alignment right?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

IMO, 142 is what 135 should have been in the first place, but whoever came up with 135 did a fag packet design job.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

so can you change a 135mm to 142mm? obviously the frame can accept a 12mm which is the same, do you just need to get some adaptors for a pro 2 evo hub or similar, or is it indeed a frame related sizing?

still a bit confused TBH

messiah
    Free Member
    kayak23

as far as I can tell the main advantage of 142×12 is getting the wheel back in.

Especially as your average STW’er is scared to death of turning their bikes upsidedown… 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pro II evo is a straight adapter swap. Some frames don’t slot in that easily in 142.

bungalistic
    Free Member

142mm basically came around so it was easier to fit back wheels in. The extra 7mm is used to create two 3.5mm locate dropouts that your wheel can sit in to help centralise the wheel while fastening it up. (remember the old qr version would locate in the frame dropouts). There is no stiffness to be gained as the hub remains 135mm x 12mm it doesn’t change.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Advantages Of 142mm x 12 Over 135mm x 12?’ is closed to new replies.