Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Advanced motorist test thingy
  • alantromboner-spam
    Free Member

Please tell me about the above.

I take it it’s about safe driving vis a vis traffic, peds etc, rather than B-road fun?

Does it make your insurance go down? Or is the only benefit a higher level of sanctimoney on driving threads?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Also how much does it cost and how long do you learn/have the test for??

ourmaninthenorth

Or is the only benefit a higher level of sanctimoney on driving threads?

The dis-benefit is the greater duty of care it creates for you as a road user.

I prefer to remain average.

alantromboner-spam
    Free Member

Intersting point OMITN…if you have to declare it on your policy then the premium goes up?

I was wondering if you are under a duty to declare it, but I guess you are even if you think it might affect the premium.

freddyg
    Free Member

Are you referring to the IAM or RoSPA thingy?

I did the IAM test and it saves me a few £s a year in insurance premiums – about the same amount it costs me to remain a member of the IAM.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I did the IAM test and, yes, it is about making ‘unobtrusive progress’, rather than heel-and-toeing it down your local B-roads.

You learn a lot about car control and what to do in traffic, and there is a fair amount of emphasis on ‘progress’, as well as the ‘unobtrusive’ aspects. Quite surprising how much faster you can go while still keeping within speed limits when you understand what’s going on around you.

Have no idea about insurance, I didn’t even bother asking. But I enjoyed the course, and would recommend it if you’re thinking about it.

Spongebob
    Free Member

You learn a lot about car control and what to do in traffic, and there is a fair amount of emphasis on ‘progress’, as well as the ‘unobtrusive’ aspects. Quite surprising how much faster you can go while still keeping within speed limits when you understand what’s going on around you.

I’ve been doing that for 20 years at least. After running a lot of cars into the ground and thinking about what i am doing at the wheel, i think i’ve got there the hard way. About 1m miles worth of doing it the hard way! What i know now is that I don’t want to be at the wheel unless absolutely necessary, especially when you need a bank loan to fill a car up these days!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Advanced motorist test thingy’ is closed to new replies.