Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • ADVANCE ;-) warning PSA: Garmin Etrex 20 will be an Amazon lightning deal
  • crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

and will start at 2:02pm today.

Edge 500 was 89.99 yesterday, way cheaper than GARMIN30 discount, and last year the Etrex20 was a similar price in a black friday/lightning deal. Great bit of kit, not cycle-specific so doesnt talk to HRMs or cadence meters and is bulkier as its designed to be handheld (and runs on AAs) but v happy with mine.

Not activated yet (its currently £127), but given when I posted the Edge500 it only had about 5 minutes warning thought I’d get in early.

when the deal is active it should tell you in the blue right-hand box “also available as a lightning deal”.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

£84.99

SiB
    Free Member

CTM – can you download routes on the etrex20 so it gives you step by step directions?
    I can get lost easily, need a device that tells me which way to go!

speedstar

Got one! Will use for both biking and walking. I had the very first model Etrex 20. They’ve come a long, long way!

Gee76
    Free Member

Are they any good.

I see 21% takeup so far with 2hrs ish to go!

speedstar

I reckon they’re excellent value for money, particularly at this price. They have colour mapping, routing and all the information that you need without having all the bells and whistles. I guess it depends what you intend doing with it.

Gee76
    Free Member

Hmm not bad for the price of an edge 200!!!

nuke

Got one for that price last year on Amazon. Then bought a sim with 1:50k OS maps off the Classifieds. I’m very happy with it…Easy to use, good battery life (Plus can always take spare AA batteries if necessary), auto creates a GPX for uploading to Strava/etc. Only minor issue is its very slow when browsing/scrolling the maps

firestarter
    Free Member

What map files does it display. Qct or other ?

somafunk

Amazon have the Sennheiser HD-25 Amperior headphones on Lightning offer at 7pm t’night, The basic HD25 is a firm fav of mine for dj’ing and i’ve been using my old pair for over 15yrs, if this updated model have a decent discount i could be hitting the buy button, they also come with an inline control for Apple devices and with the lower impedance they’ll be a doddle to drive from mobile devices.

Just bought myself a set of Bowers & Wilkins P3 for mobile use a few weeks ago but headphones are like bikes……. N+1 and all that eh? 😀

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Sib yes, you can put routes onto it , it then highlights the route on the map and beeps at every junction. Uses Basecamp not Connect as software so a different beast to the Edge series.

Official garmin OS maps extortionate but much cheaper/free alternatives.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

missed it

bugger

wheelie

Got on in the closing seconds!! Thanks for posting! Will now nee some advice on what to put on it. Does Viewranger only work on mobile phones?

neiloxford
    Free Member

This site provides great free maps 🙂

Bought this last year from amazon, great device, and great software

http://www.talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm

Mugboo

Thanks for the heads up. At 1.58pm I was just sat in the van unwrapping a 1/4 pounder when I spotted your PSA 🙂

Now let’s see if I work out how to use this talking toaster…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

this is back on as a lightning deal again at £84.99 so they obviously didnt shift that many last time!

Gee76
    Free Member

Haha beat me to it!. Back again.. Wonder if edge 500 will be back again tomorrow!!!

thatscold
    Free Member

The 500 on again today at 7pm

Clink

I presume it does normal speed/distance stuff?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

yes – displays speed, distance, average, max etc etc, when you upload it it’ll give you height gain/loss etc too.

Edge series more bike-specific and the 500 will be a similar price in the lightning deal. What the Etrex gives away in cycle-specific features (talking to HRM/Cadence, training programs etc) it gains in colour mapping and route guiding.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Whats the chances of the Etrex 20 going on offer again?? Just decided to buy one but in no rush 😆

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

theyve rotated garmins in the lightning deals with edge 500 and Etrex both appearing twice that I know of and the 800 Performance at least once, and the sales are still running so one may appear again. I assume if you click on the “waiting list” it emails you when the deal is live again, as the Nikon 5100 sold out in 15 seconds 😯

andyl
    Free Member

The Etrex 20 is back on again at 2pm today. Unfortunately I won’t be around 🙁

Although I did get looking at the Etrex 30 with compass and altimeter

unsponsored
    Free Member

Just spotted that the etrex 20 is back up. Will be sat waiting at 2pm!

http://amzn.to/19yWGE6

andyl
    Free Member

nabbed one. I figured it wasn’t really worth £90 extra for a compass and altimeter as I can tell which way I am pointing and roughly how high I am from the map and if I really need a compass I’ll get a keyring one!

Orange looks more spottable if you lose it somewhere too.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up guys, just got one 😆

phead
    Free Member

I wrote a guide to diy’ing maps last time this came up, should still work but the firmware may be an older copy now.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-garmin-etrex-20/page/2

sas
    Free Member

I resisted temptation…. for about 30 minutes. Just bought one, thanks!

Vortexracing

cheers, just got one and right at the last minute as well

phew

Vortexracing

arrived and loaded the free openstreetmap from here

http://www.talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm

works a treat 😆

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘ADVANCE ;-) warning PSA: Garmin Etrex 20 will be an Amazon lightning deal’ is closed to new replies.