Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Adult's Meccano for prototyping
  • Joe

I’m trying to experiment with a rig (for camera equipment) without spending a fortune on fabrication (this will come afterwords). The device is relatively simple, but needs some messing with because of balance issues when changing lens etc.

Does anyone make or sell pre drilled kind of meccano sets for adults to play with for this sort of application?

Joe

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Errrm – Meccano?

Might need some better nuts and bolts though- the modern stuff has awful fastners.

18bikes

8020 extrusion may work, don’t know where you can get it in the uk, I know there is a Euro equivalent but I have no idea what it is called

Matt

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You can get threaded bar and various “mending plates” in B&Q and similar places

epicyclo

18bikes – Member
    8020 extrusion may work, don’t know where you can get it in the uk…

West Group

newspaniard
    Free Member

I obtain most of my Meccano by mail order from http://www.meccanoshop.co.uk/ who sell almost the complete catalogue of Meccano parts. Nuts and bolts are still the main medium for fastening parts in spite of the strange “Speedplay” fittings which I hope will die soon :0).

joemarshall
    Free Member

We make shonky prototypes at work sometimes.

Unless it has to be on something moving around a lot (like a bike), then I’d just use strong plastic (buy sheets and cut it into the shape you need) and gaffa tape or bolts. Industrial velcro tape is also very useful for things where you need to adjust things – and very very strong – we’ve run bullet cameras on rollercoasters, attached by velcro tape, with no problems.

Or wood. Amazing how quick it is to prototype with wood and a hot glue gun.

We’ve also used lego, again surprising what you can put together with it, and I guess you could also use meccano – I don’t really know much about it.

Having said all that I guess you might be talking about a bike camera mount for a heavy camera, in which case I’d be thinking metal fixings all the way.

Joe

ps. Check out the shonky lego/wood/hot glue prototype in this (inset in the bit with ‘breathe in, breathe out’ on the screen

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Adult's Meccano for prototyping’ is closed to new replies.