Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Adult kids moving back home … share your experiences
  • Edric64
    Free Member

Once they are adults they should stand on their own feet .I can't imagine my parents wanting me moving back in ,and who would want to ,it makes you a sad loser who can't afford to run their own life properly.

carlosg
    Free Member

@ carlos – that must have been an awful situation for you but you have done very well to have come through it.

I was more angry with mum at the time and we didn't speak for nearly 10 months , but I've got skin thicker than a rhino and am extremly hard to offend. I'm very lucky now to be in a very secure and loving relationship and with my own young family , to be honest I try not to concern myself too much with things that happen outside of it.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

I can't imagine my parents wanting me moving back in ,and who would want to ,it makes you a sad loser who can't afford to run their own life properly

lol. That's me 🙂

however I can afford to run my life properly. I just keep making a mess of it

MUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!

RichPenny
    Free Member

My brother moved in with my Dad and stepmum when he was 30 for about 6 months before he emigrated to Australia. I know that my Dad really appreciated the time they shared, especially so now we've not seen him for 5 years. I'd look on this as a great opportunity to spend time with your son 🙂

I know my brother was a bit wild when he lived away, but definitely behaved himself at Dad's to keep the peace. I wouldn't bother with ground rules and so on, just see what happens for the first couple of weeks to see if he's house trained yet. Look on it as a different situation than how your relationship was before he left the first time and I think it'll be interesting. And you need to get him out on a ride! Happy to do short distances in nice locations if you need company 🙂

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Mam & dad up and left when i was 15/16 doing my gcse's. Left me in the house under the provisor that i covered the council tax (£100 per month). At that age i was earning £25 per week on sat job so i had didly squat to live on. Ended up owing £1100 after 12mths and had to get a loan out when my dad came home for a flying visit and the council were about to get a ccj for the money. I was made to pay the money regardless.

19yrs later, hell would have to freeze over before i would move back in with my parents. I have a mother and father in law who i deem my 'parents' now and even then i would shovel shit with my bare hands before i let my family lose the roof over their heads.

Kids these days may not have the same priorities though 😉

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Whatever happens your kids will always be your kids even if they are in their fifty,s

SuperScale20
    Free Member

I have no problem with my kids coming back when they are older and move out, they will always be my children not matter what age. So for me I will always try and do as much as I can pending I am alive. I have made provision for them to be looked after when I die and to give as much help whilst I am alive. My parents gave me, brother & sister deposit for 1st property and I intend to follow suit.

That said I dont look forward to them moving out, they are my life.

Edric64
    Free Member

I can't wait for the peace and quiet of an empty house. Where at least I have run up the bills on my own without help from kids who contribute only a very small amount to running the house!!

RepackRider
    Free Member

I changed the locks once they left.

_tom_
    Free Member

Think I'm gonna have to live with my parents for ages until I get a decent job. I'm 21, about to finish uni, but as I'm doing a fairly useless (but fun) degree I can't see a good job coming out of it for a long time :\

mikey.b
    Free Member

I moved back with parents after 10 yrs in army and my sister was there at the same time after a divorce. Both of us in our thirties ignored any ground rules! Recently(ten years later) suggested to my mum that my wife and I could possibly do with moving in with them for a couple of months due to house move the response from my mum and dad was no way. Honestly can't understand or forgive their attitude. I have two step daughters in their mid twenties and would welcome them back at any time.

Rich
    Free Member

Both of us in our thirties ignored any ground rules!

…the response from my mum and dad was no way. Honestly can't understand or forgive there attitude.

I think the first may answer the second. 😉

BoardinBob

Moved back in with my parents once after having moved out about 2 years earlier. Not the easiest person to live with to be fair. 😆

My mum burst into tears (of sorrow) when I told her I had to move back in but to be fair, having lived myself for a couple of years I had a much better idea of what was expected of me. Lasted about 6 months before I found somewhere else to stay.

My mum has told me that no matter what happens, there's always a bed for me at their house.

ourmaninthenorth

Simple rules are what are required, and an understanding that the day you ask him to leave, he goes.

I'd set a deadline for exit, and an interim deadline for when he starts contributing financially (irrespective of his working situation).

Most if all, it will do him plenty of good, I'm sure, to have as much structure as possibler, so this means splitting responsibility for cooking, cleaning, clothes washing, shopping (even if you're paying), etc. He needs to be actively looking for work – define that as suits.

But, you also need to consider that you have a guest in the house, so can't continue as you do without considering him.

(I love my parents dearly, but the last time I tried living with them between university and law school for a couple of months, I nearly went insane. I'm 33, effectively moved out at 19 (but for that hiatus), and am happy with that. My sister is 31 and has never left. I have always paid my way, she lives off my parents and has only had a proper job for the last 18 months. That sort of sponging makes me f—ing furious.)

RustySpanner

'Home' – Definition:
    If you HAVE to go there, they HAVE to let you in :-).

Northwind

I'm an aduly who moved back home (it's interesting, everyone calls it "home", even when I was away this was home not where i lived). Supposed to be a short term thing after an ugly breakup but that was a while ago now, for various reasons.

It works pretty well, but that's mostly because I'm not an arse, I don't treat it like a hotel and I remember they did me a big favour. But they do like having someone around, to be honest I don't think it would be workable if they didn't but my mum was pretty unhappy when we all moved out. And then me and one of my brothers both moved back :mrgreen:

dmoffitt90
    Free Member

The guy who runs my LBS still lives with his mum , must be about 55 or 60 never moved out i think, rides his old commuter to work and builds the best wheels ever, pretty sure he is mentioned quite alot in Greame Obree's book The Flying Scotsman

chewkw
    Free Member

Please kick them out when they have a stable income or if they choose to explore the world themselves not because they are 18.

I do not see any reason why there cannot be one or two generations living in a same house if the house is big enough and everyone respect each other.

To expect one to be independent (earn enough to support self) immediately when one reaches 18 is over simplistic.

Obviously, if they want to stay with the parents they must follow rules set by the parents. Simple.

🙄

mboy
    Free Member

Once they are adults they should stand on their own feet .I can't imagine my parents wanting me moving back in ,and who would want to ,it makes you a sad loser who can't afford to run their own life properly.

**** me what a charmed life some people lead!!! 😯

Shit happens, relationships break up, people lose their jobs. To say you must be a sad loser to have to move back in with your parents for a while is making a very snap judgment about someone when you don't know any of the facts at all…

But then this is the STW forum I suppose, what more should I expect? 😕

Karinofnine

You're bound to have mixed feelings about it. Doesn't make you a bad person or a bad mother. I imagine after recent events you are protective of your space because you are still slightly fragile and need a safe private place. I hope it works out.

In some cultures it's quite normal for extended families to live together, but unusual in ours.

A thought, if he didn't have you, what would he do? I didn't have anyone or anywhere to go when I was 17 and it made me (wo)man up and go to work, rent a bedsit etc. I didn't have the luxury of a parental home to fall back on.

You've got the forum and friends to rant to if you need. x

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I think the key is maybe to treat 'returners' as adults and not let them revert to childlike behaviour, or for you to return to being 'just mum'.

A friends kids have both moved back home after 1 and more years away. They are nice, but it seems to have gone back to their mum doing all the cleaning, most of the cooking, all the washing etc rather than everyone taking it in turns or to at least do thier own. She said the other day 'I don't know how X is going to manage when he leaves home and has to cope with washing own clothes', yet this offspring is a returner! It seems to me such a situation makes the parents life much harder and (perhaps deliberately if one or both parents are needy for status) weakens the returners ability to maintain or go back to being an independent, self sufficient adult. Really it undermines everyone as it stops all parties from moving forward and developing.

I would suggest you talk to your adult returner and both agree to a joint set of rules applicable to both of you as flatmates, and as someone said above, try hard not to slip back into the parent/little kid relationship and seek out a new full adult friendship. I think you have the right attitude to setting out who you and your returner are going to 'be' before anyone actually moves in.

peteroughton169
    Free Member

I to had this. I'd lived away from home since 18. Bought my 1st house at 25, and within 3 months my partner and I split ip cos she'd been cheating on me( since before we bought it). Had to live with her for another 9 months cos we couldn't afford the house seperately. When it sold I moved in with my parents. My mother couldn't have been happier but my dad wasn't too impressed (however he would never have seen me struggling, he'd just got used to his own space and he was really helpful) I was to contribute to the bills and do my share of chores, however my mam alawys wanted to do everything and fussed over me cos her little boy was home again! She loved it, and so did I! Good times but after a year of getting on my feet again I was pleased to get my own pad and space again with my now wife!

MoreCashThanDash

From my own experience – as a returnee – I'd suggest making it clear that you are now their parent AND their landlord. Rent and bills get paid, they do their share of the jobs, rules about visitors and stay overs. If nothing else, it focuses their minds on the benefits of finding their own place as soon as they can!

vrapan
    Free Member

For all those asking money from their kids to stay with them and whatnot, would you pay them rent/bills let them run your life if you needed for whatever reason to stay with them ? Bizzarre to say the least.

jabbathehut
    Free Member

Bills need to be paid vrapan, and if the returning kids are running up alot more than usual then why not?? They are/should be earning.

Northwind

I took it for granted that I'd be paying my way. If I was unemployed or otherwise destitute that might be different but FFS, I'm earning, why should I get a free ride? Silly tbh.

vrapan
    Free Member

What I meant was if you as a parent needed to stay with your kids, would you pay them for that? I don't know but far as I am concerned if/when my parents come stay with me for a month or two I wouldn't even dream asking them a penny, same goes for my bro who is coming over and staying for a month with me. I can't understand those financial arrangements between families.

If my parents/bro need my help I will be glad to offer it and they will do the same.

Edric64
    Free Member

So you would ponce off your parents and not pay your way?Make them suffer financial hardship and not spend your money on bills etc?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

then when you become old and need someone to care for you, they shove you in a care home and sell your house.

you volunteer to have kids, they don't get that choice 🙂

vrapan
    Free Member

Edirc I don't see it that way. If you live with your parents at 30 you have reasons (unemployed, cant afford a place of your own you like living with your parents/they like having you around). if you have an income of course you'd contribute to the household what I am amazed is the whole rigid pay rent pay bills kind of culture.

Also what financial hardship is it an extra human being in a house? It is not like that their mortgage/electric/land line rental/council tax goes up by a third. All those they would pay regardless so really the main expense is an extra portion of food a few times a day…! I mean seriously if my parents couldn't afford that I'd already be helping them financially even though I don't live with them.

I go back home a couple times a year and stay a couple of weeks each time. I do eat their food, make phone calls on their phone and use a bit of electric. If I told my mom how much I should pay for it she'd probably slap me and tell me to shut up and my mom never does either :p

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I'm up at my parents house at the moment – brought the kids up for the school holidays as its a nice base location for going and exploring the North.

My tolerance level is about twenty minutes, after which I start pulling (whats left) of my hair out – as for the possibility of moving back in, I'd sooner sleep on a park bench!

Nothing against them, they're lovely – just really, really annoying!

Hairychested
    Free Member

I almost moved back in to my folks' home. Jeez, how glad I am it was almost.

cinnamon_girl

Blimey, will I get a visit from Social Services this week then? 😯

Rest assured I will always be there for my children BUT there will be rules, clearly stated from the outset. My original post was rather tongue-in-cheek as some of you realised!

Can't believe some of the situations people have had to deal with, and dealt with admirably too. Well done to those who have experienced tough times and managed to come through it, hopefully unscathed. What a huge learning curve life is sometimes. 🙂

Thank you for sharing your experiences, it's been enlightening.

Dibbs
    Free Member

My youngest daughter is doing a nursing degree at Plymouth, part of the time she has "placements" at various hospitals her current one is here in Taunton (10weeks) her next one is a few miles away in Bridgwater (12weeks), so not only do we have the pleasure of her company, we get to pay £480 a month for her accomodation at Plymouth 😥
    Now the elder daughter (doing a teaching degree at Bristol) tells us she's coming home to live as she's going to commute next year. 🙄

saladdodger
    Free Member

Dibbs if you have got a bit of space you could always adopt me 😉

I would be like the son you never ever wanted 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

vrapan

Its two very different things to go to stay for a extended holiday from an indefinite period – and if my parents wanted to move in with me ( god forbid – I am the easy going on in my family) then if it was for more than a couple of weeks I would expect a financial contribution – after all they have loaned me money and charged interest and when I went back as a returner I paid dig money once I got a job.

Free Member

Hello.

Writing from the other end of the story, I had to move in with my folks last year, and things can be bloody awful. Parents can forget that their *children* are grown adults (I moved out and bought a house at 21) I'm 30 in April. While I didn't have the money to pay for rent etc, being fairly handy around the house I put a new roof on the garage, loft ladder and some boarding, sorted some wiring/lighting out, carried out all the servicing and such like to both cars and got 'em a great deal on Sky tv (which is what they wanted). etc etc etc etc.

If he's old enough to live on his own he's old enough to understand you have your life too – just as he has his own, so send him over to his mates/girlfriend/whatever over a weekend?

Hope all goes well for you and life doesn't go mental!

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Adult kids moving back home … share your experiences’ is closed to new replies.