Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Ads making site unusable
  • rascal
    Free Member

Looking on same laptop I always use just now…content disappears to be replaced with banner ads on white screen. This happening to anyone else all of a sudden? Having to send on phone. Cue ‘bloody pay then’ catcalls

Drac

We’ve had an email so it’s being looked at.

No issues here.

z1ppy

Not just me then (ipad)

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Happened to me too

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes, even had to try three times to,type this. Random banner adds that log you out.

igm

iPad here too. Logging in (ads blocked) solved the problem

rascal
    Free Member

Ahhh…not just me then – good

TheDTs
    Free Member

+1
    MacBook if that makes any difference.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Jezza one day, STW the next. What’s the world coming to?

Is this another, not a problem if you subscribe wheeze? 😉

And full page underwear adds, honestly…..which thread had that come from?

scotroutes

It’s not a problem if you subscribe

ricky1
    Free Member

Yes here to on iPad.

binners

The rest of the site?

You’ll be telling us there’s a magazine next

binners

THM – aren’t you yet appalled by the frightful company you’re having to keep by not having a blue P?

Get a sub and join the exclusive, cultured,high society club you tight-wad! 😛

Mark

I’m trying to kill it. It’s very annoying.
    The problem is that when I make changes to the ad server it can take 10 minutes or so for those changes to register on the site. So I’m sat here now hoping the box I just un-ticked is the right one.

toppers3933
    Free Member

And me. iPhone 6. Took me ages to get to sign in. My phone refuses to keep to logged in so I’m constantly having to sign in. Which has been a pain tonight.

orangeboy
    Free Member

It’s taken me a good while to sign in just to add my rant

jambalaya
    Free Member

Well when iOS9 came out I solved the ad related issues on website like the Guardian by purchasing a certain paid app which put paid to them. I’ve never had an issue with STW as I have a subscription. Its not the fault of the websites but the ads which are placed there by third party agencies.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Its not the fault of the websites but the ads which are placed there by third party agencies.

I know, sneaky shits just sneak up and put ads on web pages when nobody is looking without any prior warning. Something needs to be done.

http://www.change.org

Mark

He’s right actually. In the main.
    We use RTB programmatic networks. We don’t pick the ads – we pick a network. Apart from our own ST ads and the directly sold ads like Tweeks and CRC I’ve no idea what other ads are going to appear as that is network inventory.
    Tonight’s glitch I’ve managed to track down to one of two networks. I’ve disabled both for now and I’ll work out which one is to blame in the morning. I’m going to bed now.

Northwind

Slight OT but, I’m thinking of cancelling my mag sub, and the only thing really holding me back is losing my P, as it’s pretty key to my entire sense of self worth. How much does it cost to get no ads, without a mag sub?

(no I’m not going to block them, that’s a ****’s trick)

(edit- that wasn’t specifically aimed at Mark, just timing! I figure someone’s bound to know though)

scotroutes

£15 for a years digital access. You still get to read the magazine, but only in digital format.

Mark

What he said 🙂
    Works out at 4p/day

mrsfry
    Free Member

But I buy my copy from the shop. I like hard copies of magazines .

Northwind

Mark – Resident Grumpy

Works out at 4p/day

Bargain tbh. Cheers!

oldtalent
    Free Member

Started yesterday morning, worked for a bit, broken again today. Full screen ads when clicking on any thread. Android chrome. Never needed ad-block on a phone before, now installed & working fine.

GrahamS

Mark: is the “addthis.com” Share button widget thing absolutely necessary?
    No one seems to ever use it, do you get any money for having it?

I ask because (despite my P and “no ads” option) I was still getting this button and the browser status regular said “Waiting on addthis.com” – so I did [that thing of which we will not speak] and the page load times improved noticeably.

Cougar

broken again today

I’ve reported this, and I’m told they’re working on it.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Ads making site unusable’ is closed to new replies.