Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Adobe question
  • Rockape63
    Free Member

any thoughts on how to get the best out of adobe. We are using version 5 which allows us to manipulate documents, but having trouble including documents from newer versions without having font issues etc.

Is the only way to spend money on the newer versions, or is there a solution for a cheapskate??

smokey_jo

Acrobat Pro 7 is available free from Adobe here

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Adobe what?

Adobe is a company, they make lots of software!

Acrobat Pro 7 is available to legitimate existing owners free from Adobe here

FTFY

We wouldn’t want STW to be seen as condoning software piracy. 😉

footflaps

With their move to rental only SW, they’ll probably kill off the piracy market. Currently you can install a copy of their complete DTP suite and some nifty SW to make it think it’s licensed when it’s not, but I suspect that will all end with their new usage model.

CountZero

Acrobat? CS? Illustrator? Photoshop? I haven’t used Adobe products in anger for some years, but I can remember spending ages trying to match fonts so that line breaks and such matched up because some dimwit hadn’t provided a set of fonts for a job. Fonts have long been an issue in repro, what with there being so many different versions from different type founders, so matching a font if it hasn’t been supplied is a nightmare. I’ve still got a copy of my old font folder from ten or twelve years ago, and I had around three hundred fonts in there, many just different versions of one font, like Garamond, or Gill, for example.
    Having older versions of whatever app you’re using isn’t going to help you any either, so I’m afraid you’re going to have to bite the bullet on this one, grit your teeth and take it like a man! 😉

Rockape63
    Free Member

Thanks CZ……you’ve told me exactly what I needed to know, but didn’t want to hear! 🙁

Euro
    Free Member

A little bit of trivia for the font men. Eric Gill, designer of Gill Sans, once (or maybe more) had intercourse with his dog, just to see if it would let him.

AlexSimon

The only piece of Adobe software which seems to have backwards compatibility problems is InDesign in my experience. Illustrator is a bit dodgy, but can at least backsave to old versions easily. InDesign can’t.

You basically have to be on the same version of InDesign as all the people in the chain that need to edit the document. For printers, you can get away with exporting it all to PDF instead of relying on them to have InDesign.

Euro
    Free Member

In InDesign, you can save it back but you need to save it as an IDML file.

AlexSimon

It’s only one version isn’t it? Then you need to find an old version to then backsave to a previous version, etc.
    (although it completely breaks in my (albeit limited) experience)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Adobe question’ is closed to new replies.