Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Admitting to yourself you've bought the wrong bike.
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Recently stripped and sold my ht as I hardly ever used it. My Spitfire just does everything betterer.

Always wondered what it would be like to own a road bike but I didn’t want a road bike as I find road riding very boring (nothing against it, just not for me).

Decided I would try a cx bike, would be handy on really ‘orrible winter days and capable of getting some miles in on/offroad etc so bought an XLS. Love the way it looks, just can’t get on with it. Now I’m really regretting stripping and selling my ht, every time I think I will take the cx out I can’t help but think about all the fun I could be having on my Spitty so take that out instead. At least when I fancied a change before I had fun on the ht.

There, I’ve said it out loud.

I should have stuck with what I had.

What’s a three month old £1100 bike worth that has hardly been used worth? 😳

scaredypants

IMO, cx bikes make pretty good winter road bikes and kack off-road bikes

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Not doubting for a minute some people have fun on them, I imagine someone will now post a video of yon mon jumping off walls etc on that mongoose making them look ace.

I just can’t get it to work for me.

somafunk

You should have bought a Kinesis Tripster

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

It would have been easier to sell on I suppose.

Northwind

I’ve had more wrong bikes than right and most of the right bikes I got right from pure luck. Only mistake you can make, is keeping a wrong bike.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Happened to me with my dream frame. The seller even gave it to me as a complete bike for a week to try out. Unfortunately I was blinded by lust and desire, just mostly admiring it rather than riding it properly. within weeks of owning it I realised it was completely wrong.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Ah, happens all the time. Just sell it on and buy something e;lse/Sure you won’t get what you paid for it but hey, just put it down to experience and having had the chance to test ride. It’sall good 😛 . Apoligjkes for the cra'[ spellibng – I may have beneen drinking LagunitAS ipa 😛 BUT REGARDless of beer choice, the sentiments still stand.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

OP I’m kinda feeling the same way, and never really wanted to accept it til I saw your post! I’m 5″4 45kg and I’ve bought a medium Surly ECR which isn’t all that fun to ride, sluggish and a heck of a lot work. VikB from the mtbr forums explained it to me in a way that makes sense:
    A stiff bike and a lighter less powerful rider usually ends up feeling dead/sluggish. It’s the difference between a bike that surges forward with each pedal stroke and one that seems to absorb your energy without moving the speed up as much as it should. There is no easy way to measure this, but if you compare bikes with similar components you can feel right away which ones respond well to your pedal strokes.

I’m not giving up on it though! It’s a goddamn beast. Maybe I’ll just try and grow haha

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What’s a three month old £1100 bike worth that has hardly been used worth?

Want to scratch an itch? Just get a hardly used bargain from somebody who had a rush of blood to the head 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

Lol i hope its not my size. As for cx bikes being rubbish offroad scaredypants pah… they are great

avdave2

Well I paid £650 for a 3 month old CDF on the classifieds that had done around 100 miles and had cost £1150 new. I don’t suppose you wanted to hear that.

ton

i have probably bought more wrong bikes than most.
    sell it and try something else……and keep on trying untill you find something that suits.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I’ve found that cx bikes don’t make good winter road bikes at all!
    I used mine as a winter bike, as I couldn’t afford another bike at the time, but the geometry & gearings just isn’t ride for many road miles.
    I’ve since built up a very budget build Ribble as a winter bike & it’s great-love the thing & keep my cx bike for what it’s designed for.
    A cx bike certainly has it’s place & can be great fun in the right place at the right time, but replacing a fun hardtail isn’t it.

bol

Buying wrong bikes is part of the process of discovering right ones. It’s often the ones that you convince yourself are going to change your riding that bomb. A Rayley Mmmbop was my most obvious, but in honesty any full suss I’ve ever bought too. A Specialized Langster was a surprise winner though.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Maybe you are expecting too much from a cx bike.. It’s a totally different style of riding even from riding a ht.
    Stuff you can just plough down on a mtb require much more finesse, line choice and mincing.
    If you don’t enjoy it then just move on.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Happily not an expensive mistake.

Bought a super-mincy carbon hardtail from the classifieds here. It had 80mm of travel, a riding position like the TdF bikes and made you feel like you were being beaten up when you rode it over anything bumpy.

Luckily, for my marriage, it didn’t cost much at all to sell it and get something more suitable. It took me 9 months before I gave in and started looking for a replacement.

purser_mark
    Free Member

Well done for owning up to your error, it’s part of the healing process that allows you too move on! 😀 And buy new stuff.

Toyed with a CXer myself but thought it would be too much like MTB’ing in the early 90’s. Perhaps not quite that bad.

cheers_drive

I’ve made the CX winter bike mistake too. Twice! TBF the Genesis Vapour was actually pretty good if a little harsh. The CDF was horrible stodge for faster road riding and as heavy as my HT for off road.
    Anyway the thread title indicates that this is a thread that Hora should contribute too 😛

weeksy

Same as you really but with a road bike. However because it was 1. Cheap and 2. Useful training tool.

I’ve kinda come to accept it. I use it and don’t greatly enjoy it. But I see it going in Feb when bonus time comes. Happily as I only paid £230 for it, I won’t lose more than £100.

forge197
    Free Member

Northwind has it, don’t keep a wrong one, I tired in the end mrsforge was like were off to get a new bike!!! It’s a shame buy one that’s doesn’t work for you but it’s best to move on, plenty more to try 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

What’s a three month old £1100 bike worth that has hardly been used worth?

About £650-ish. Popular sizes, medium/large, might get you a bit more.

…or you could just do what Planet-X do and try and sell it for near RRP despite it being ‘a little dirty and has a big chip/scuff on the side of the downtube…’

nickdavies

What size is it? Been looking at those… 😉

Dickyboy

Had plenty of wrong bikes, whats really worrying is that I keep wanting to change my right bike for something else??

chakaping
    Free Member

Wait until the weather goes crappy, it might start to make more sense when the trails aren’t as much fun on your MTB.

somouk
    Free Member

If it helps you may have saved me from wasting my money on a CX bike. I’ve been tempted for winter miles but will stick to the 29er hardtail and invest the money in a better goretex jacket.

lunge

In the unlikely event it’s an XL I may be willing to take it of your hands!

fasthaggis

I agree with chakaping ,give it a bit more time* ,you could even torture yourself and do a cross race 😈 .
    How much riding have you done on it?
    What did you really want from it as a bike ?

*as long as it’s the right size/fit for you

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Cheers lads, glad to know it’s not just me then!

Only mistake you can make, is keeping a wrong bike.

Sums it up nicely I think.

I did try riding it like a ht at first but soon learnt that wasn’t the way to go about it. Changed my riding stylee to suit but as above I just end up mincing everywhere instead of plowing through. Suppose you could argue it’s my lack of skillz but it’s just a different kind of riding to what I want to be doing.

I kind of expected £700 ish tbh so would be happy with that. Does have an XT cassette/XT rear mech and KMC light chain too but still have the original bits.

Really fancy a long travel ht in its place.

It’s a 54cm/medium and I’m near Bolton if anyone is interested 🙂

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Fit is perfect, could ride it all day tbh. Was worried it would cripple me and take me ages to settle in to it but it rides like I’ve owned it for years.

It just doesn’t excite me or make me want to ride it.

mikey3
    Free Member

I don’t get this ‘I’ve bought the wrong bike’ thing,if its the right size surely you ride it and get to know it,you’ve been riding bikes for years right? what did you expect it to do? Theres seems tons of people on here who are more into buying stuff that the actual riding/adapting to a different bike.

fasthaggis

Theres seems tons of people on here who are more into buying stuff that the actual riding/adapting to a different bike.

..and then spend their life worrying about tyres 😉

prawny

Every bike I’ve ever bought has been the wrong one after about 4 months.

tomd
    Free Member

I enjoy riding my CX bike offroad, it’s also great for going flat out round muddy fields for a hour. Don’t much like it for a road bike, geoeand sizing not really ideal.

cookeaa

I’m getting older now so it seems to be mistakenly buying/building bikes that are really for “Yoofs” that’s my problem…

Built a Dirt Jump Bike, rode it twice, now it’s in bits again awaiting sale…

BMX, more of the same…

dogmatix

Without wanting to get too Zen. Lifes full of mistakes, you learn from them move on (haha its so easy to say that to somone else isnt it, but it is still true). Your still here fit well, not in a hospital in Sierra Leone (god forbid). Guys on here spend thousands on bikes so in the big scheme of things its not a huge mistake (thats all relative though i suppose, i would be quite gutted with a £400 loss). Throughout your life it will seem like an insignificant amount of money though.

Wouldnt a half way house be a 29’er mtb singular or something like that?

moniex
    Free Member

Officerfriendly – sounds to me it’s not the stiffness of the frame that’s the problem, probably the size? I am 5’5″ and 58kg and only ever ride a small. Had a 16″ orange 5 for a while that was too big and I just did not like (really wanted to though). At 5’4″ and 45kg I presume a medium must be too big?

My son is also 5’4″ and 48kg and rides my old small cove stiffee. It’s definitely stiff, but does not feel sluggish or hard work…..

Try a small?

I think the right bike can feel very wrong in the wrong size.

So yes, my bike mistakes: orange 5 and old style cove g spot.

Simone

cookeaa

It’s interesting that everyone keeps mentioning CX bikes, that’s probably my next N+1

But it’s more getting a CX bike because I’ve a couple of roadie mates who are keen to get CX bikes at the minute and I of course am an MTBist (Who also rides a Road bike) I think CX riding would give us a bit of a Cross over point where we’re all trying something new, they’re not into MTBs and While I enjoy Road riding, it’s not my preferred Niche…

Will a CX bike be My next cycling mistake, or an epiphany?

hora
    Free Member

First proper bike back – a 2002 Rocky Mountain Vertex. Loved it. Really did. Decided to go on a Alps trip so decided to buy a Ellsworth I.D frame. Immediately it was hideous, tall, towering. Ungainly, knew this on the first ride but thought it was me- manufacturer would know better than me and I must be wrong.

Nope it was shit.

roverpig

It would help if I had the faintest clue what the right bike for me would look like 🙂

I’ve currently got a Five and a Solaris and both are wrong. The Five is far too much bike for the sort of mincing around that I do and I don’t really enjoy riding hardtails off road. But I love the efficiency of the the hardtail 29er and the Five is the only bike that has ever made me actually enjoy riding down technical stuff (rather than just being relieved to survive). So, I guess they are both right too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Admitting to yourself you've bought the wrong bike.’ is closed to new replies.