Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)
  • Admins – back/forward navigate, whats wrong with this website?
  • Holyzeus
    Free Member

Any news on this?

chakaping
    Free Member

Bike Forum looks like a cup of tea for me.

donald
    Free Member

This is poor.

I click on a thread and go straight to the thread OK. When I get there the browser’s back history shows that i’m one level down from the forums page and I can go back with one click. If instead of immediately hitting back I wait thirty seconds before looking at the back history there are nine copies of the thread page in there and I have to click the back button 9 times.

It looks like one of adverts or trackers is repeatedly loading the thread page.

It’s very annoying.

I’m using Firefox 15.0.1 BTW.

muzzle
    Free Member

Same problem for me too – I’m on Google Chrome.

trout
    Free Member

Phew glad its happening to others thought my puter was acting up again .

Same thing happening to me with the back button Chrome user .

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Yup. Same sort of thing here too

ojom
    Free Member

Ours started doing this here just after we upgraded a Java thingy for a printing applet on a browser based shipping program. Linked?

butcher

Back button occasionally stops working for me too – IE9.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Same thing on Win7/Firefox 15.0.1 here. Very annoying. Might have to look at <shudder> BikeRadar instead…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Happening to me as well (win7 & chrome), have done a CCleaner (cache, history, cookies etc), but still doing it. 😐

appears to be constantly refreshing scorecard…something or other.

ransos
    Free Member

same problem as KPHC – holding down the back button on the screen gives me a history of nothing but img.mediaplex.com/content/0/1994
    Back button doesn’t work.

Site also crashes on some networks, usualy when they are slow. Seems to be when it tries to load the adverts.

+1. I’m logged in as a premier member.

GrahamS

Very annoying. Might have to look at <shudder> BikeRadar instead…

Or just, y’know, don’t use the Back button?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

a.scorecardresearch.com keeps auto refreshing on mine I think, not sure tho. It certainly appears to be constantly refreshing the page or something similar.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Seeing as STW don’t seem to be doing anything about this after 2 weeks, I’ve taken action myself and it works fine now.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Care to share? It is VERY annoying! 👿

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Yes, happening to me as well at home using Chrome but IE9 is fine as is my PC at work running Chrome.

Is confuse.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Care to share?

I can’t, it’s in the rules. Put it this way, I wouldn’t have done it, but I’m left with no option as STW have done nothing about it 2 weeks on and it’s doing my head in when trying to flip backwards and forwards in the classified ads.

jmason
    Free Member

Yep same here with mac trackpad / mouse

JulianA
    Free Member

Same problem for me – sporadically.

Problem occurs on the laptop (IE9, Windows 7 Home Premium) but I don’t recall it happening on the iPad.

Just using the ‘Chat Forum’ link at the top of the page is not a good option as I don’t always want the latest version of the page.

tthew

Been having this problem sporadically today for the first time, on XP running IE6 at work, (yes IE6!!) so assumed that was the problem. Also doing it on my Chromebook at home now.

Saccades
    Free Member

happens on ps3 and psp too.

Happens with chrome and IE but not with firefox.

annoying.

cheez0
    Free Member

how can a fix for a website bug be against any rules?

apart from the problem being a deliberate admin approved spammer-type thing?

deliberate attempt by admins to get more page impressions?

very quiet from them, absence is deafening

GrahamS

how can a fix for a website bug be against any rules?

Read “Our policy on A*********g” in the Forum Rules.

GrahamS

Just using the ‘Chat Forum’ link at the top of the page is not a good option as I don’t always want the latest version of the page.

It should be. In fact iusing the Back button should give you the out-of-date page. Hitting the link should always give you the latest one.

JulianA
    Free Member

But I don’t always want the latest version of the page because I might want to read one thread, then go back and read another thread that was close to the link I just read…

Some times ‘out of date’ is good and useful.

GrahamS

But I don’t always want the latest version of the page because I might want to read one thread, then go back and read another thread that was close to the link I just read…
    Some times ‘out of date’ is good and useful.

That’s why you do as I suggested earlier and just middle-click to open threads in a new tab.
    When you’ve read it just close the tab and you’re back at the thread list.

Or read the thread list and middle-click all the threads you want to read in one go then go read them in their tabs.

You never need a Back button and you spend far less time clicking and waiting for pages to load.

It’s the choice of Pro forum bores.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Graham, It’s also the constant flickering of the cursor, refresh symbol etc in your periphery vision that becomes annoying. when it first started doing it to me, I did a virus scan, malware scan, thinking my comp was infected. 😡

Onzadog
    Free Member

Is this the same problem I’m having on my HTC android phone? Sometimes I hit the back key at the bottom of the screen and it just takes me to the top of the page I’m already on.

ojom
    Free Member

iPhone is fine BTW

greggparker9
    Free Member

Same issue Mac OSX and Safari

stevenieve
    Free Member

Same issue, same setup as GP9

druidh
    Free Member

No issue using my HTC phone with standard browser.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

druidh/thebikechain you’re a P so you might not be experiencing the problem for that reason ie ads suppressed.

JulianA
    Free Member

That’s why you do as I suggested earlier and just middle-click to open threads in a new tab.

Or read the thread list and middle-click all the threads you want to read in one go then go read them in their tabs.

But why should I have to use a clunky work-around to solve the problem of poor site functionality?

None of the sites that I have developed require any such thing, nor does any other site that I can think of.

You are solving a problem that shouldn’t exist.

Saccades
    Free Member

Not really an option on either the ps3 or psp, plus back button on the ps3 doesn’t even require you to move a mouse and updates the index page.

GrahamS

But why should I have to use a clunky work-around to solve the problem of poor site functionality?

I agree entirely, but the “workaround” offers a solution for people who have said they’ll leave the site because of it.

Besides, it’s not clunky, it’s quite the opposite: less mouse clicks and less time waiting for pages to load. 😀
    It’s how I’ve always used this (and most other) forums.

Not really an option on either the ps3 or psp

Yep fair enough – but you have to admit that is quite niche.

back button on the ps3 doesn’t even require you to move a mouse and updates the index page.

In that case the browser on the ps3 is buggy. It should give you the cached page when you hit Back.

debaser

Same issue here using Firefox on a Mac. Looks like the page is refreshing automatically every 5s or so.

You can go ‘back’ but you have to click the button as many times as the page has refreshed as far as I can see.

Fine on chrome, but I’m also logged in now so that might have affected it.

user-removed
    Free Member

Aye, same here (sporadically), using back button on keyboard and in navigator arrow. If it helps any, my history shows dozens of pages of something called ‘Doubleclick’ or somesuch – I see the same name come up when I clear adware cookies. I just get round it by clicking, ‘Overview’ but obviously that’s much slower…

donald
    Free Member

Right.

Unless the admins come up with an acknowledgment that this is a problem and a commitment to fix this bug I shall implement “the fix that dare not speak its name”

Which is it guys?

r0bh
    Free Member

Same for me in Firefox 15.0.1

It’s a right PITA to be honest.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Admins – back/forward navigate, whats wrong with this website?’ is closed to new replies.