Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 236 total)
  • Admin: Malicious Advert
  • ButtonMoon

Gonna try a different browser…

I’ll see if Opera is pron resistant 😀

timb34
    Free Member

Getting the same popup: in France, WiFi only, Android and Dolphin mini browser.

Only way out seems to be to force close the browser. AVG free seems to stop it happening (there’s a message about an invalid security certificate) but the installation is a bit big for my old phone!

Mark

Hi Guys,

Could I ask the guys in France and Germany if the banner text of the popup was in English? French or German?

Cheers
    Mark

Marge
    Free Member

I got it in Belgium too (Nexus7 on wifi)

It was written in English…

Mark

This does seem to be a wider issue than just our site. There are many reports of an Android based issue on the web. I’m not distancing ourselves from the problem as it’s something we and other sites need to try and track down. As soon as we can track the ad down we will be able to stop it.

Thanks for all the info you’ve sent to us so far.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Hi Guys,

Could I ask the guys in France and Germany if the banner text of the popup was in English? French or German?

Cheers
    Mark

For me in Germany the banner was also in English

Tiger6791

This does seem to be a wider issue than just our site. There are many reports of an Android based issue on the web.

Concur, looks like an advert that contains JS has been hacked and is being served by one of the networks.

Not a STW isolated issue

Mark

If we catch the actual ad itself when it occurs we will be able to block it and so we will keep hunting for it.

scuzz
    Free Member

Mark,
    What information exactly do you need?

Mark

We need the html code from within the page that will contain the source of the ad including which ad network it is coming from. For example, right clicking it and selecting ‘inspect element’ in Chrome.

ButtonMoon

In Germany and the text is in English.

wiggles
    Free Member

I am getting a virus software for android pop up…

brokensoul
    Free Member

I just got the lovelinks pop up. (S3)
    Am I safe? 😯

ButtonMoon

2 days using Opera & no pop ups yet.

Fingers crossed…..

ericf
    Free Member

The only way I managed to stop it is by disabling java script in the content settings of chrome.

chrisd90
    Free Member

Hi Guys, any fix on this yet , i cant access STW on my phone anymore as every thread I try and open I get the lovelinks popup . My phone is a galaxy S3 . Strangely on my android tablet all seems ok . I am in NZ if that helps .

iolo
    Free Member

I’m in Viennna on an S4 roaming network (o2 uk). Same message.
    Nothing on my iphone 4 (bob network)

JulianA
    Free Member

Just happened on DarkRoastedBlend – told me I need to check my Android for a virus.

Which is interesting, since I’m using iOS 7!

I can screenshot it (if I can get it again) and send it to someone if it helps. Oddly, it happened way down a page, not when I first got to the page.

Also got several pop ups from something like ib.adnxs.com telling me that JellySplash is the best selling game or something

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Me too in Australia since installing IOS 7.0.4 last night, particularly the Jellybean one.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mark

Thanks for that. I have added more filters just now. lets see if I’ve got it. Keep reporting if you see this or anything like it. I’m not always on the forum so email me direct mark@singletrackworld.com and I’ll be able to work from mobile when I’m out of the office too.

It’s an industry wide issue that is causing havoc just now. Just to reassure that it’s not an exclusive STW issue. There’s a lot of people searching for the rogue ad networks that are pumping this crap out.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Chinny reckon

OT sorry…but that took me back 25 years. Thank you.

willard

Had the original problem on my Motorola Xoom2 (Andoid ICS running chrome and chrome beta). AVG free reports nothing bad happening, but it’s annoying as hell and making me question using the tablet until I can factory rest it/wipe it.

konabunny
    Free Member

Getting popups on my iPhone, only on STW…

petrieboy

This is making STW virtually unuseable on my mobile. Nexus4 on giffgaff. Android 4.4.2. Only happens on STW

petrieboy

Should add, virtually no apps on my devise and those that are are from large respected suppliers like TomTom, BBC, garmin etc. No kids stuff like ringtone editors or prawn….

wwaswas

I think from what Mark’s said is that one of the ad servers that STW use has ‘acquired’ some infected ads.

Each time they’re displayed the javascript kicks in and that’s when the problem occurs.

Issue seems to be identifying which ad server it is and which ads to block.

nealglover
    Free Member

Same as trail rat, I’ve been getting this popping up all day on here.

Not getting it at all on any other sites.

O2 3G/4G connection on iphone.

Mark

Those ad networks are not ones we use but I’ve added them to all the filters we have anyway. I’ve even disabled a host of ad networks other than the ads we contract directly with bike companies (which are all either flash, gif or jpeg) and Google ads, which are about as safe as it’s possible to be, from appearing on android devices at all.

This morning I turned off each network in turn and we still saw reports of this popup. I’m going to keep looking and I’m in contact with our network ad managers at the various ad companies – they are all scratching their heads too and they are receiving reports of the same from lots of other sites too.

I’ll keep looking and please keep letting me know if it occurs on your device. Over Christmas it’s best to email me directly mark@singletrackworld.com

edlong
    Free Member

Possibly slight devil’s advocate, but isn’t there a case for STW pulling ALL their ads until this is resolved?

The situation seems to be that there are popups being served to users that link to malware? I know that STW aren’t the ones causing it, but they are knowingly continuing to carry the ads, in the knowledge that some of them are “bad” – is that not slightly irresponsible?

Or have I misunderstood the malevolence of these? (I’ve not had any yet myself)

Tom
    Free Member

If you experience this problem, please post or email me with:
    OS with version
    Browser with version
    List of enabled plugins (usually at about:plugins)

Please also try clearing your cookies:
    http://singletrackworld.com/clearcookies.php

brokensoul
    Free Member

I just got the lovelinks pop up again.

Mark

Could you provide the info that Tom asks for above?

Mark

Oh if you could also indicate which country you are in as part if the info that will also help.

Cheers

zokes
    Free Member

Now keep being taken to the iOS App Store periodically, but quit it before it takes me anywhere. iOS 7, iPhone 4S, Australia. Only noticed it on wifi so far…

Mark

Thanks for the report. We are still searching for the culprit but this does seem like a much wider internet problem that a great many sites are battling with. The ad networks are all looking into this with some urgency too.

tomd
    Free Member

I had this last week on my Android device running 4.2.2. Never had it on any other site. I kept getting the dialogue box about a virus with only the “OK” option. I wasn’t logged in at the time, but when I logged in (ads disabled) the problem went away.

plyphon
    Free Member

There’s a bit of misinformation in this thread in regards to Android and their relationship to virus’s from drive-by style banners.

In short, unless you are installing APK’s from non-Playstore sources, you have nothing to worry about. You don’t need AVG or Malware bites.

If you’re installing APK’s from non-Playstore sources that aren’t trusted then you may be at risk.

If you don’t know what an APK is, you won’t have a virus as you have to allow you phone to accept non-appstore APK’s in the first place.

The worry stems from a few years ago when Google we’re not vetting their Playstore. People would add apps to the store with malicious content under tempting names such as “The REAL 50 Shades of Grey – what your wife DOESN’T want you to read!” or whatever – a lowe and behold people with less “computer savvy” minds would download some spyware that would take photos of their nostrils on the front mounted cam. Whatever.

However Google went on a massive cleanup a few years ago after they were being embarrassed by Apple’s appstore with their “tighter-than-a-nuns-(use your imagination)” style of app approval and the security for end users that came with it.

In it’s current state the Google Playstore is the safest it’s been. As always – read the comments first. Apply some common sense. But if it’s from the Playstore – you’re golden.

TL;DR: An Android phone cant install anything NOT from the Playstore by default. Unless you’ve told it to do so in the past, you’re 99% not infected with a virus or malware.

samuri
    Free Member

I’ll add that I used to get the lovelinks one quite a lot but clearing my cache resolved the issue. Not seen it for a while. Wasn’t worried about security, as plyphon says, unless you tell it to install, it won’t.

alpin
    Free Member

i, too, am having this problem….

Sony with Android…. other sites are fine. when opening a thread a little window pops up saying:

“The page at lovelink.us says:
    1 Virus found
    Dwnload, Install & Run a
    Complete Threat Scan Now.
    ——–OK————-“

me being a complete luddite (and there being no option for “no”) pressed ok.

now have some app, 360 Mobile Security, on my phone.

even with this app the window still pops up.

what is going on and how do i sort my phone out? will restoring fatory settings remove any bugs?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 236 total)

The topic ‘Admin: Malicious Advert’ is closed to new replies.