Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 236 total)
  • Admin: Malicious Advert
  • johndoh
    Free Member

You do know what the solution is don’t you?….

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Or as a test turn off your wi fi, then load up singletrack from cached memory and see if it still pops up

scotroutes

FWIW, I’ve only had it once and I’m pretty sure that was before I’d logged on to STW.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

I’ve just browsed the site using silk chrome and explorer, no issues some of you guys need to clean your devices up!

Cougar

Which browser are you all using?

Seems bloody weird to me that it’s only STW and only certain people affected. I might give it a battering during lunch.

scotroutes

In-built browser on HTC phone (i.e. not Chrome) for me.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I’ll get some stuff together when I get a moment, but if it helps, one of the pop-ups originated from ib.adnxs.com

Edit: Chrome on a Nexus 4

Further Edit: ib.adnxs.com does indeed set a cookie in Chrome – Settings > Content Settings > Website Settings, you may see it in there. Which could be a clue. I haven’t had an ad for a while, but I am going to bin the cookie as a first step.

wwaswas

ib.adnxs.com

quick google implies that’s a malware site…

Cougar

quick google implies that’s a malware site…

It’s not a malware site in and of itself I don’t think, however some browser redirect malware uses that site to generate click-through revenue.

Mark

Appnexus is a legitimate ad network. We are looking into what is going on but I learned quite a lot by googling the OP’s pop up message text “Virus affecting your android ? Turn on Virus scanner Now!”.. This issue is not restricted to our site users it seems. It does look like it’s a virus that causes a popup to appear encouraging you to download AV software. It seems to be triggered by opening a browser.
    I’ve found the ad campaigns on our sysetm that are being delivered via the Appnexus network. Like I said, it’s a legit ad network but I’m about to turn it off and see what happens.

Thanks to all those sending us specifics via email – It’s helping.

Cougar

Flashed to downgrade back to 4.3 Jellybean.

With an official RUU or a homebrew ROM? Check the thread on XDA for that ROM, see if there’s any known issues?

Only re-installed a few apps after reading the latest reviews on Play store,

Try flashing again and testing it before installing any other apps.

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Just a thought, had you all turned on “Block pop-ups” in your Chrome or Android Browser settings?

Caveat: As this appears to be a virus, blocking pop-ups after the virus has installed on your device may not help as the virus could overcome browser settings.

scuzz
    Free Member

Ey up Cougar,
    Sorry for the confusion, I was downgrading (official build) as a result of other unrelated issues, I just thought I’d add some additional information.
    Thanks for the assistance mind, may give that a go tonight.

Block popups is ticked in Chrome, I haven’t ticked it since the reflash – unsure what the default behaviour is or whether this is synced to my account. Closing the settings page and refreshing Singletrack and it appeared again!

scuzz
    Free Member

Out of edit-time update:
    Popup does not appear every time.
    When pop up does appear, it is when the banner at the top of the home page displays an Android Virus Scan advert.
    The popup appears 7/8ths of the way through loading the page, pausing the page load. After dismissing the popup, the banner at the top loads immediately (showing the virus scan ad). This banner ad then changes, cycling through new ads for other products.
    Haven’t managed to catch the banner and find its link, each new ad has a new link…

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Scuzz: forum home page or site home page?
    ie
    http://singletrackworld.com/
    or
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/

scuzz
    Free Member

Forum, there’s a mainsite?! 😉

retro83
    Free Member

Only seen it in Chrome, not the native browser.

Looks like it’s from yahoo?

Edit: this is a freshly flashed (Google official) build of 4.1.2 on a GNex, only a few apps installed and they are all mainstream, such as Chrome, BBC news etc. No shitty games or anything. Also not appearing on any other sites.

cp

that’s reminded me, mine was ads.yahoo.com too

daftvader
    Free Member

Also had this. But only once. Then installed avg and not seen it since

Mark

Thanks for all those details. That’s a great help. The hunt is on.

MarinNo8
    Free Member

Yes I’ve experienced this too. Have had a few times exactly what Retro83 has pictured above. Also use Chrome.

richardk
    Free Member

Just got it from that ad up there as well. Brand new nexus 7, fully updated, no dodgy software or apps installed.

scuzz
    Free Member

Oh come off it.

Sorry chaps, adblock’s going on now 🙁

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Just got exactly the same ad and pop-up combination as scuzz.

wwaswas

*is beginning to reconsider previous view that it was the phones causing the problem*

tootallpaul

Just to add my experience- running a Nexus 4 and a 7, no AV installed, and have never had a pop up from the site.

Bog standard 4.4 on the 7, and 4.4.2 on the 4.

beiciwr64
    Free Member

“Just got exactly the same ad and pop-up combination as scuzz.”

Same here on my tablet constantly, seems to want me to download
    app Mobogenie.

Drac

They’re on looking into they were discussing what to do this am until they can find the problem of the cause. Sorry it’s causing some of you issues folks.

Wally

I am having exactly the same problem – lovelinks “your APP store need update immediately” routing to the play store. Very odd – Please post up a solution when it arises.

Only happens when not on Wi-Fi and only with STW web site.

Cougar

Who’s your service provider? Is everyone affected on the same network?

Anyone get the issue when on a wifi connection?

Wally

O2.

Cougar

Hm. Probably not a provider issue then, as I’m on O2 and I’ve never seen it. Just a thought.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Just seen this thread and I am having the same issues with my android phone(Samsung S4) when browsing this site (Chrome). I also keep getting that lovelinks message. Happens when I use the wifi connection or mobile network (I am based in Germany).

ButtonMoon

I’m in Germany too.

Refresh happening constantly….

Getting sick of it. Close to not using the site anymore & moving on…

Maybe time to get the Web site sorted by pro puter geeks.

pk13

Just so folks know this is happening on other sites as well it’s not just an issue on singletrack. It’s very annoying though.

tinribz
    Free Member

Been getting the scuzz posted combo on phone and now a love links popup that downloads some crap no matter what you press. Not happy.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I was at a hotel on Saturday night and accessed the forum on my tablet through the hotel wifi, and was getting these popups.

Back home and no popups on the tablet on the home network.

MikeG

Also been getting the same combo as scuzz on a nexus 4 running the latest 4.4.2 update, only seems to happen on the phone network (giffgaff btw) never seem it at home on the tablet either

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 236 total)

The topic ‘Admin: Malicious Advert’ is closed to new replies.