Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Adjusting pad clearance on M775 XT brakes
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Can it be done, fitted a new hose and bled em yesterday, now the back has very little clearance. How do i sort it?

scaredypants

(have never used shimano brakes but)
    Don't most self-adjust as the pads wear? I'd open reservoir, force pasds/pistons a bit futher apart, [edit: then close off reservoir] then put rotor inbetween pads & squeeze.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

they do self adjust but shimano have designed these for greater pad clearance

scaredypants

yeh, but I think that's just a feature of the cylinder/lever design – don't think you can alter it

racing_ralph
    Free Member

the front and rear are different, i have bled the rear, not the front. Have i over filled it?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

squeeze the lever right to the bars a few times, if that doesnt sort it you may have put too much fluid in the resevoir, easily solved by squeezing the lever gently and opening the bleed nipple (cover it with a rag or bit of flexble hoze to stop the oild getting on the brake) to let a very small amount out.

Either that or just ride and it'll wear off enough for it to be a non issue.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Either that or just ride and it'll wear off enough for it to be a non issue.

not in 90 mins last night it didn't

scaredypants

Have i over filled it?

that's my guess – or rather you've filled it with the pistons not fully back (same thing anyway)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

pistons were held apart by the yellow bleeding block

scaredypants

suppose we're left with overfilled then
    (unless…does the block go onto bare pistons or between pads? If between pads, did you use old worn ones & then put in new ones)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

onto pistons

Shandy
    Free Member

Maybe you just need to adjust the screws at the lever?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Overfilled is the diagnosis 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

drop the pads out and try to push the pistons back. If they go, it's not over filled, if they don't, open the nipple and push them back, then close the nipple. Wash down and replace pads.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

onza – just done what you said – all is now good. The piston on the nipple side was slightly proud so et some fluid out and all is now sorted. Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Adjusting pad clearance on M775 XT brakes’ is closed to new replies.