Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Adjusting Bearings On Crossmax Wheels
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ok im a bit stumped, my new rear crossmax st wheel has a bit of play, to the point when you get off and rock the wheel side to side you can hear a pretty awful noise (like a creak/crack noise)

ive tightened the rear one up and instantly that noise went when rocking side to side, the question is how tight do you do it up??

also the front is the same, but i cannot for the life of me figure out how to do the front one? ive taken the 15mm caps off and still couldnt see where you put the bearing adjustment tool in?

cant see any instructions anywhere on mavic either

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ve never had to tighten the front, only the rear. I’m not sure that you can. The answer to “how tight” is; not very. It’s only for preload, and over tightening will reduce the bearing life (I learnt this the hard way).

honourablegeorge

It’s the drive side on mine, IIRC

Edit – no, just had a look, must have imagined that.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

right so the front one cannot be adjusted then? that would make sense given i cant see how its possible with the tool

the back one i did pretty much as tight as i could with the tool (without snapping the little plastic bits off) shall i then back off a bit then?

honourablegeorge

Check page 15, looks like there isn’t one.

http://www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/technical_manual/data/docs/themes/2_16.pdf

Suspect there’s a new bearing in your future.

persona
    Free Member

Mavic and their crayzee adjustable sealed cartridge bearing hubs? 🙄

You need to “do it up” until the point where there’s no play but it still spins freely, if there’s play in the bearings themselves you should still replace them.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

to be fair the shop did say they will need tweaking up after a few rides and after they have settled in, it wasnt major side to side play but there was a bit, ive tightened it back up and wheel seems to be spinning freely, at worst ill back it off a touch

so HG on the front is it suggesting there is no front adjustment to be made (cant acccess pdf doc at the min)? to be honest it could be that i didnt do my maxle up tight enough as silly as it sounds

wrecker
    Free Member

Keep checking them periodically. They do need nipping up from time to time.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hmmm just spoke to shop the front ones are done with the tool to, said its not as obvious as the rear one (where the tool just fits in the holes), but said that its on the non disc side where you tighten up the front bearings

im not arsed about staying on top of it, the wheels are amazing, its a really easy job to sort the rear out, just need to do the front now

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Adjusting Bearings On Crossmax Wheels’ is closed to new replies.