Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Adhesive experts
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

What epoxy will glue carbon fibres to metal (specificaly titanium and steel)?

😀

geoffj

You two should just get a room together.

wwaswas

actually two rooms, some distance apart, but with no means of communication would be best.

coffeeking
    Free Member

What applications/load directions etc? Almost any epoxy will bond to a keyed metal surface, just not with the sort of strength you’d want in a safety critical application unless you’re a qualified composites engineer (we do have one on here IIRC). Incidentally epoxy is pretty much the sole matrix material for carbon fibre bike parts and in that case it’s usually bonded to things like the alloy forms for the headset, BB, dropouts etc. The joints need to be thought out carefully though, as “peel” is a weak point, my old crank arms delam’d from their alloy square taper bits due to the rotational forces peeling the bonding away from the alloy surface.

chvck
    Free Member

If you’re gonna sniff it don’t get the tube stuck to your nose.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta CK – it may be that the peeling effect has done for my design, I’ll have a look and think.

compositepro
    Free Member

try dp420 its a good un….. spabond from Gurit are another similar product 365 springs to mind however the metallics may need to be treated to get the best from them either mechanically blasted then degreased or chemically by applying a substrate(I spent many years designing glued things and the glue isn’t the only consideration here)I have no idea what your joint design is like or the forces but on the whole either epoxy will join them

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Adhesive experts’ is closed to new replies.