Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Additional garage door safety
  • marionheck
    Free Member

Having just read Flash's post (my sympathy mate) i was thinking of beefing up the security of the garage.

It only has the normal weedy lock on teh door which i am sure can be ripped open pretty easily.

What have people used or suggest? (apart from bombers)

will
    Free Member

We have some big metal bars across the main doors, and 2 house style locks on a side door, and also have the garage hooked upto the house alarm.

marionheck
    Free Member

looks like others thought the same as me. will let this thread die and go onto the other thread.

Cheers

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I have inside my garage a ground anchor in floor, as close to a wall as possibly allows the chain/cabel to get through, with u-shape running 90 degrees to wall well under bikes so makes it difficult to bolt crop and another bolted/concreted into wall with a seperate chain/cable so they have to cut at least 2. using the best chain/cable and locks you can afford.

I then use as many crappy locks as I have to lock up everything just to make it more hassle for the bandito's.

To combat roof break ins I have at great pain cut in concrete mesh into the roof space so nowt can get in or out.

Doors the rear person door is steel faced, no window and has 2 5 bolt losks then inside 3 throw bolt type lock/hasp, top, middle and bottom then an old fashioned massive 6" by 3" lump of wood that drops into L shaped clamps that lock at the top to prevent the door being shoulder barged open.

The front up and over door which will be changed to a roller when funds allow I have over the standard 4 way lock, 2 clasp locks in the bottm corners, a garage defender in the middle to prevent it being lifted up. I then screwed a lump of wood the width of the door to prevent the top of the door being pulled forward/folded over.

There are security light and I reverse the wifes car tight to the door and then mine up tight against hers.

So hopefully my little beauties are safe – but you never can be too carefull

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Valleydaddy- I wished I d had that level of security as Ive just lost £4k 's worth of bikes through my crappy timber garage doors.

However I would just express caution on the car front- I had put my wifes car against my doors and they just put the window through to take the handbrake off- thus meaning I also needed to claim for new glass etc!!

iainc

valleydaddy – out of interest, how long does it take you from going out the house to having your bikes in the car or ready to ride ? Admirable security but must be a lengthy process to get it all unlocked ?

takisawa2

What about a single entry-point, with the garage door only being opened from the inside. If you had an outward opening door, set in a recess to prevent any leveraging opportunities, & to prevent being kicked in that should be good.

flatfish
    Free Member

depends what sort of access you have to the garage?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

yes it is a chore to get the bikes out but at least they are going to be there – hopefully.

On the car handbrake issue fair point but both our cars have electric hand brakes so no way of moving them without the keys or a hiab recovery truck (or similar)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Additional garage door safety’ is closed to new replies.