• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by wors.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Adding power to a turbo trainer
  • wors

Whats a good setup? What do I need? I don’t want to buy a power meter, just something i can measure virtual power whilst on the turbo??

mikewsmith
    Free Member

trainer road does virtual power depending on the model of the trainer.
    I used it as a measuring stick rather than actually going off the numbers.

whitestone
    Free Member

If you are going the virtual power route then you’ll need a make & model of turbo that is supported by programs such as Trainerroad and a cadence and speed sensor. You will also need an ANT+ dongle for your PC/laptop/tablet.

You tell the program what resistance setting you have on the turbo and it works out your power from the speed you are going. It’s only a guess but it’s a value to be used within the program.

Check out the Trainerroad website, they tell you what you need and whether your turbo is supported. I’ve a free month’s trial to give away if you do want to try it out.

wors

Ok cheers, i’ll take a look at trainer road.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Just to point out, there are several other programs which use the trainers “resistance curve” if your trainer isn’t listed on Trainer Roads website. Virtual Training and Zwift spring to mind but there are others

DanW
    Free Member

“Virtual power” is just real wheel speed with the trainer and resistance factored in to give a different number somewhere near “real power”. Virtual power is just speed by another name. All you really need is a rear wheel speed sensor and gauge your efforts by speed as a % of you threshold speed or similar. TR is a good software though if you want to make use of the plans and sessions they provide and ties it all together in a nice package

TiRed

Any speedometer will give a measure of virtual power. Power and speed are approximately linearly related for a given resistance.

Just compare from session to session, and check tyre pressure.

jam-bo

On my kinetic I have the Inride power meter. It’s basically a speed sensor on the roller wheel. You do a roll down calibration after ten minutes and it’s surprising how much variability there is enough with the same tyre pressure, roller tension etc. Temperature also come into play too as the fluid in the turbo warms up.

In short, virtual power is at best a guide only.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Id agree about power its only a rough guide its close enough for mere humans.

What I was impressed with was how it ramped up the power as you climbed or came off as you went down a hill. Same on trainer road and Zwift. Kept me turbo’ing this winter and its way better than plodding along freezing road. My strength and speed as come up well. Ive still managed road and MTB rides ofc.

But a system on the turbo that doent bore you to death is a big plus

wors

Yeah, I know its only a guide, Its just something to work against on the turbo rather than just hr and perceived effort.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Adding power to a turbo trainer’ is closed to new replies.