Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • adding named driver to motor insurance – how much??
  • sadexpunk

parents are coming back to live in uk after about 6 years in thailand. theyre staying with us for 19 days until their accommodations ready. ive offered to lend em my car when i dont need it, but hastings direct have priced it as £82 for my dad to be added to policy for 19 days!! my whole years policy was only £142! he has a clean licence and no claims. told em to forget it out of principle but not sure what my options would be.

i asked how much just to have ‘any driver’ for 19 days but they dont do that. ive got around 2 months left on my policy.

whats my best option do you think? take out a more reasonable policy from someone else and end the hastings early? price up a rental car for a few days for him? will every insurance company charge the same sort of fee for a few days do you think?

thanks for any advice

legend
    Free Member

Just add him to the policy as a normal extra person. Almost guaranteed to be cheaper, especially when you’ve only got a couple of months left. Just remember to take him back off at renewal time

RoterStern
    Free Member

I asked about the same problem for me visiting my parents and the same high price for me to drive their car. Apparently it’s standard practice for non uk residents these days amongst insurers.

mattsccm
    Free Member

A mate added me to his policy, fully comp for about 6 quid. We are both 50 with full NCB and clean licences

amplebrew

Is it any cheaper to add his as a permanent named driver rather than just for the 19 days?

My yearly premium reduced when I put my wife on as a named driver.

sandwicheater

AS LEGEND ADVICES, GET A PRICE TO ADD THE DRIVER PERMANENTLY.
    Why am I shouting?
    Tried to add a mate to our Admiral policy for 3 week for a trip t the Alps. £120 ish for the three weeks or £27 return in premium to add him permanently.

sadexpunk

thanks, ill try this. is there any way to try this online, or will i have to wait another half hour to get through to them? :-/

EDIT: looks like i can only get quotes online, any changes to policy ill have to ring them and incur a £35 fee for the privilige of an amendment.

sandwicheater

You could run a quick quote through on the Hastings Direct site with/without the olds on. Will give you an idea what difference they would quote on.

maccruiskeen

the alternative would be to look at some of the sites offering day insurance – you can get policies for up to 28 days so your dad would have his own policy rather than be an add-on to yours

sadexpunk

just had a look at those day cover jobbies but they all seem to be up to 75 yrs old. as healthy as he is, pops is 78 now :-/

thanks for the heads up tho, i didnt know they existed.

EDIT: do you think theres any mileage (sorry, no pun intended) in the idea of him trying to get a full years policy on my car, and he just amends it when he gets his own? or can you not have 2 different policies on the same car?

maccruiskeen

So it seems

http://www.fairinvestment.co.uk/temporary_car_insurance_for_over_75s.aspx

and that might explain the cost of the quote you got. Although it seems you shouldn’t be able to refuse insurance on the basis of age – so even if the brokers are saying the policy is for under 75 year olds they shouldn’t be able to refuse an application from someone over 75.

MoreCashThanDash

Provided they are going to be permanently back in the UK then a permanent addition may be cheaper, depending on whether there is a question about how ling they have been here.

chewkw
    Free Member

Insurance is such a pain to deal with.

Sorry no help here as my insurance is around £650 fully comp.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘adding named driver to motor insurance – how much??’ is closed to new replies.