Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Adding loads of salt to homemade soup
  • imnotverygood

As I understand it, you get desensitised to the taste of salt, so the more you habitually add, the more you need to add to for it to be effective as a seasoning . Viscous circle.

holst
    Free Member

Use a decent quality salt such as sea salt and my favourite is Himalayan that has the minerals. Don’t use processed table salt.

Processed salt is just pure NaCl. Sea salt is just NaCl with some contaminants mixed in. The size of the grains can affect how it tastes in your mouth if you sprinkle it on chips, for example, but if you mix it into a soup, sea salt and processed salt are exactly the same thing.

I use about a quarter teaspoon of salt per liter of water. I can’t imaging wanting food to be saltier than that.

holst
    Free Member

Viscous circle

Guess it would be if you thicken your soup.

pictonroad

Has salt been through the ‘not that bad for us after all’ cycle yet?

It’s delicious.

Drac

More than once yes.

maccruiskeen

Has salt been through the ‘not that bad for us after all’ cycle yet?

I think the paradigm shift will come when we realise its actually the pepper thats been bad for us all along and salt has just been guilty by association.

As I understand it, you get desensitised to the taste of salt,

It works in reverse too. I had to cut salt out for a while and after about two week salty food becomes pretty revolting. Things you think of as salty still taste fine but food where theres a lot of ‘hidden salt’ – such as a pizza (salt in the bread, salt in the sauce, salt in the cheese) that salt becomes really apparent and actually quite difficult to eat.

Sandwich

But frankly, the stock cubes you add to make the bulk of the soup,

Cubes? Homemade stock is where it’s at. Currently 6 litres of chicken stock in the freezer, no roast carcase goes un-stocked here. Butchers practically give away the bones for other meat stocks, a quick roast for flavour and then into the pot with some carrots. celery, onion and leek for 2 hours simmering.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

I always think when watching the pro chefs on the to when they say ‘and add a pinch of salt’ and I think Christ, that’s a lot of salt!

zilog6128

The directions on the cubes say one cube per 200ml of stock. It really doesn’t come out like gravy (unless you’re used to

according to their website 100ml of prepared stock has over a gram of salt in it. So you’re adding over 10g of salt to your litre of soup? 😯

Cougar

Homemade stock is where it’s at. Currently 6 litres of chicken stock in the freezer

Not very helpful for vegetarians though

So you’re adding over 10g of salt to your litre of soup?

Probably explains why it doesn’t need any extra. I’ll cut it back next time and see how it comes out.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Adding loads of salt to homemade soup’ is closed to new replies.