• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by FOG.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Adding disc mounts to old steel frame?
  • FOG

I have an old steel tourer that has been hanging around in bits for years and was thinking of building it up as an off road tourer type thing. However I would like discs so what sort of price am I looking at for disc mounts welding on frame and forks? If it comes to a big number I might as well buy a new frame.

shermer75
    Free Member

Is it worth considering v-brakes, if the frame will take them? I find that they are surprisingly good, although somewhat limited in the wet! (As if that’s ever going to be a problem in this country!! 😉 )

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Bob Jackson price list is fairly good.

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/repairs_pl.php

I’d say though that (unless its a really nice frame)when you include the price for the disc mount, removal of canti’s, respray, new fork, discs/wheels, cables that a new bike might be a better bet. I must admit for the money I think this looks good.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-substance-cx11-sora-2014/

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    FOG

Yes, doing the sums, a new bike could well be the way to go. The only problem would be sneaking it past Mrs FOG who claims to know nothing about bikes yet can spot a new one at approx. one kilometre, or to be more precise a new one of mine!
    So time to check the catalogues for a colour match.

mrmo
    Free Member

tourer as in road bike? i would be wary of the stays being able to take the force, really depends on how light the frame is, and the frame being old might be asking too much.

Edric64
    Free Member

Get an extra piece brazed in between the stays to add strength ?

emanuel
    Free Member

depends on the dropouts, if they’re vertical it should be fine.
    CS are 22 or 24m dia, while seatstays are 14-19mm, even a spindly road bike will have a stiff enough CS.
    It’s a simple job, I prefer chainstay mount as you avoid the strut, works better on thinner seatst.
    ditto regarding costs,it adds up, but The Bob J prices are fair.
    you could avoid the repaint by sanding down the burnt area and retouching just that, then use zip ties for the hydro hose.it looks neat if you do it well.

bencooper
    Free Member

Chainstay mount can be tricky – there often isn’t enough space for the caliper in there unless the frame is designed for it from scratch. I normally do it on the seatstay with a brace.

FOG

It’s quite a hefty old lump built to carry f+ r panniers so I would think the tubes would be up to it. I realise weight and brake generated forces are not the same but it is definitely not a thoroughbred lightweight of it’s time , late 70s early 80s.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Adding disc mounts to old steel frame?’ is closed to new replies.