Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • adding a bigger cog to your rear cassette
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

By using something like this…

is it a serious alternative to that 180 quid italian version, or is it something thats been knocked up in someones shed that has no place on a ‘proper’ mtb.

Thinking of going 1/10, 95% of the time i’d be fine,but just wary that i’ll miss my granny ring at the end of a long day, so interested in the options (that doesn’t include xx1/xo1)

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Blimey. I clicked on that link and the weight made my monitor tilt left!

Otherwise: on all my cassettes the lowest gears are on the spider so presumable you’d have to shift the whole lot outwards and loose the 11T?

What derailleur do you have? Thats a proper jump in capacity but with a 1x you’d need to double check.

tpbiker
    Free Member

yes it does look a bit weighty doesn’t it! No weight actually stated that I saw however. Wouldn’t be looking at anything more than 38 tooth, so capacity hopefully not a massive issue.

ton

I like gears I can twiddle away with……but, is there a rear mech that will work with that?
    old style lx mech just manages a 36 tooth cog.

timmys

If you take a 36-11 cassette and change it to 38-13 you have made a cassette with a smaller range. What’s the point or are these just made to trick people who can’t do maths out of their money?

kayak23

you have made a cassette with a smaller range. What’s the point

The idea is not to increase range, but effectively to have a granny gear, without having a front mech and all that, that entails. Obviously you lose a small ring. This may be an acceptable compromise for some.

paladin

You couldn’t keep the 11, and lose one of the next 2 up?

timmys

The idea is not to increase range, but effectively to have a granny gear, without having a front mech and all that, that entails. Obviously you lose a small ring. This may be an acceptable compromise for some.

I still think you are missing the point. To get the same granny gear you are after you instead change to a smaller ring on the front. As the 36-11 has a bigger range you lose less at the other end with the same result at the granny end.

Edric64
    Free Member

Or use a smaller ring and a Shimano Capreo hub which has a 9 tooth sprocket ? Lowering the gearing but at the same time keeping the same top ratio with the 9 tooth sprocket?

kayak23

I still think you are missing the point. To get the same granny gear you are after you instead change to a smaller ring on the front

Well yes, that goes without saying. Presumably this is for people who are already pretty small on the front. I have a 32t ring, I see that you can now get a 30t from Raceface but yeah, these are I suppose your next option if small at the front and you still feel like you want more.
    I find 1x32t – 11-36 gets me up most stuff eventually.

trail_rat
    Free Member

are people REALLY that bad at setting up front mechs ?

Dickyboy

if you need a granny stick with 2xN perhaps?

thomthumb
    Free Member

The idea is not to increase range

i think it is. don’t lose the 11 lose some thing else.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

#1 lose weight by removing front derailleur and shifter
    #2 gain weight by adding jumbonormous cogs to rear cassette

I must be missing the point with these cassette adaptogizmos.

2×9 seems to work rather well for me TBH.

trail_rat
    Free Member

See that – it looks rediculous. see your bike with the new massive cog – it looks even more rediculous than even that.

glupton1976
    Free Member

robarnold
    Free Member

is it a serious alternative to that 180 quid italian version

I’ve just paid £104 for my General Lee adaptor from bike-discount, never seen them for £180

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘adding a bigger cog to your rear cassette’ is closed to new replies.