Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Addicted to Sheep
  • slowoldman

BBC4

Repeated from some time ago. I thought it was an excellent programme when I saw it last time. I really hope a time doesn’t come when this way of life can’t survive.

user-removed
    Free Member

Made by a French girl I was at uni with – she’s a farmer’s daughter herself. It’s a cracking bit of documentary filming. And yes, I did snog her on a ferry to Amsterdam, which makes me a bit famous too.

welshfarmer

As a sheep farmer in a similar marginal part of the UK uplands I can categorically say that the writing is very much on the wall for this way of life… sadly. I can relate to every aspect of the program as it very much follows my own experiences. However, a combination in a shift in eating habits, a complete lack of profitability in the sheepmeat sector without aid payments, and public pressure to rewild the uplands (AKA George Monbiots’ personal crusade to leave a legacy) mean that small family farms in the UK uplands will die out within the next 20 years at most. Brexit will probably be the final nail in the coffin.

nostoc
    Free Member

I live in mid Wales and personally I wouldn’t miss sheep farming.

martinhutch

My kids used to play with quite a few of those from Forest School when we were in Teesdale.

Teesdale is a very special place.

docrobster
    Free Member

That was really good stuff. Best thing I’ve seen in tv for a while.
    I grew up on a dairy farm, council tenants.
    Can’t imagine trying to make ends meet sheep farming nowadays.

slowoldman

welshfarner, I’m aware of Monbiot’s crusade but not “public pressure”. Do the public really give a toss, one way or the other?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Addicted to Sheep’ is closed to new replies.