Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Add maps to my Garmin Edge 810
  • number18
    Free Member

Getting frustrated!

The Edge 810 comes with only useless maps. I found on DC Rainmaker a way of getting free maps, see instructions here if you want to know how;

free Garmin maps

However, I can’t work out how to get the map file from my PC to the Garmin and for it to work.

When I open the SD card through the PC (either when in or after being in the Garmin), it seems to have been given a number of folders by the Garmin, eg Activities, Courses etc.

I still created a folder called Garmin (as per Rainmakers instructions) and imported the IMG file to there. When I turn on the Garmin nothing out of the ordinary happens, ie it doesn’t seem to be sorting it’s inventory of maps.

When I go to enable the new map, only the base map is listed.

Any help would be much appreciated!

uphillcursing
    Free Member

bookmarked

number18
    Free Member

I’ve sorted it.

You have to open the zip folder, copy the IMG from within there, and drop it in to your SD card folder, ie not in one of the folders within the SD card.

Sorted. Free worldwide maps!

krixmeister

Out of curiosity – am I the only person to have turned off maps on their Garmin? I’ve tried OS, toasty, and OSM maps but I find the screen so small on the 810 that none of the maps are that useful – especially when trying to follow a GPX route. I find the GPX route on a blank screen is easiest to follow for me, and then I use OS Maps Finder on the iPhone if I need routing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Add maps to my Garmin Edge 810’ is closed to new replies.